Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Little More Wood

Nice stuff Baxter, I sure wish we had tulip poplar here in WI as it is great wood for carving and I use it for drawer sides and for any other secondary wood needs when building furniture. I like the greenish brown of the heartwood for turning and another thing is that it is great for laser engraving and wood burning projects. I might have to bring the truck out east and load up some of that.

I think everyone needs a tractor now matter where you live, they are just so much fun! I love my 1955 Ford 640 with loader, it is just right for working in the woods, short, wide front and all the power I need so far. But my buddy has a 4 wheel drive Kubota that I wish was mine!

Free wood is the best wood!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Hilel Salomon View Post
    Baxter,

Before I got a place in the VA mountains, I thought of poplar as a cheap alternative to pine. I discovered that it really is a nice wood for almost everything. It's soft when it is wet, and gets very hard when dry. It often spalts beautifully, takes stain or paint well and turns nicely.

Hilel
    Thanks Hilel. I used poplar for the subflooring when I built my house. A couple years later, I picked up a lot of wide (20"+) 5/4 and 6/4 rough sawn poplar when a local millwork went out of business. Ended up using it for the cabinets and trim in my kitchen and dining room since it was what I had at the time. I will leave the unturned section left under a tarp for the summer to see what happens with the spalting. I know its not very rot resistant so will have to keep an eye on it.

[QUOTE=Dan Hintz;2098082].......... and some great color (red and blues) in some of them..............QUOTE]
    Dan, its a lot of fun to watch it being sawn. I took a couple logs to a mill a few years ago that were used for wainscoting in my basement. The colors are quite striking when first sawn but turns to shades of brown with time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Nicol View Post
    Nice stuff Baxter, I sure wish we had tulip poplar here in WI as it is great wood for carving and I use it for drawer sides and for any other secondary wood needs when building furniture. I like the greenish brown of the heartwood for turning and another thing is that it is great for laser engraving and wood burning projects. I might have to bring the truck out east and load up some of that.

I think everyone needs a tractor now matter where you live, they are just so much fun! I love my 1955 Ford 640 with loader, it is just right for working in the woods, short, wide front and all the power I need so far. But my buddy has a 4 wheel drive Kubota that I wish was mine!

Free wood is the best wood!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I agree on all counts though I have never tried the carving.