Thread: Drill Press Task Light

Drill Press Task Light

My drill press resides in a corner of my shop which unfortunately is dimly lit. I don't have the option of adding overhead lighting since my small shop is situated in a spare bedroom in my apartment. I thought I would add a task light to the DP like I did to my 10" band saw. For the band saw light I purchased a goose neck light from ebay and made a magnetic base to attach it to the saw. But for the DP I finally realize that the DP didn't have the available real estate to attach a magnetic base to any metal surface on the DP.

Here is the light attached on the band saw. It worked out perfectly:

Band-Saw-Task-Operationl.jpg

Like I said before, this kind of set up wouldn't work with the DP. So here is what I came up with...
    Rummaging through a box of electrical stuff I have I found that I had a ceramic light fixture including the chord and switch. Remembering back I realize I cannibalized this from a lamp someone threw out. (Yep, I'm a dumpster diver!). I save everything even tin cans, so I figured a tomato juice can would be perfect for the shroud. I trimmed the can, sanded the edge smooth and here is my start of the DP task light project:

Juice-Can-Preparation.jpg

I made templates for the task light using Illustrator and drilled and counter sinked the holes for the light switch and heat dissipation.

Juice-Can-Preparation-Hole-Drilling-Final-Holes.jpg

I cut all of the parts out of 1/2" plywood using templates including all of the knobs. Here is what all of the parts look like all cut out and sanded ready to be painted:

Drill-Press-Task-Light-Unassembled-Parts.jpg

Here it is all put together, painted and ready to install on the DP:

Completed-Drill-Press-Task-Light.jpg

Installed on the DP column and in use. This light works very well for me. It's easily adjustable for any application:

Drill-Press-Task-Light-Operation.jpg

Creative work! My only suggestion would be to consider replacing the incandescent bulb with a ~24 watt fluorescent to keep your can/shroud from getting hot.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Geibe View Post
    Creative work! My only suggestion would be to consider replacing the incandescent bulb with a ~24 watt fluorescent to keep your can/shroud from getting hot.

Bill
    Hi Bill. The 60 watt incandescent really doesn't produce the heat that I thought it would. The holes drilled in the top of the can really helps dissipate the heat. The other thing is I'm not fond of the fluorescents as they pose a hazard. No?

OMG, what a lot of work for a light, but it looks great! You know, lighting is the biggest frustration in my shop. I wish I had the patience and time to build stuff like this.

Tha is excellent! Very nicely done.

Think about it guys... sure it requires some work to produce something like this but realize this, it will last a long time and if it works for you application why not? Every time you use it will bring a smile to your face.

That's pretty neat. Great job!

Good job and very professional looking.
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

9. Awesome idea, I am a lot like you I will spend hours making something from my accumulated hoard of useless items. I have a box in my shop with no less than 40 cord from various appliances that died. I cut the cord on everyone of them. I think I have used 1 since I started the collection. I don't even want to try to explain how many misc. nut, bolt & washer bins that are not sorted I have.....

Great job on your lamp, how much time do you think you actually invested in it?

Bill
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Grizzly DP has a built in light, but could use extra light on my bandsaw.

<<The other thing is I'm not fond of the fluorescents as they pose a hazard. No?>>

No. Unless you break one and then collect and eat the tiny amount of mercury that's in them. But in that case the 40w shop ceiling lights are much more of a 'hazard' if you would call it that. Not to mention the amount of mercury the coal fired plants put into the air to power all the incandescent lights. But I digress.

Anyway, I have the curly fluorescents in all my shop lamps and haven't broken one yet and they don't put off hardly any heat, even though I use 100W equivalents.

But regardless - a nice job on the lamp!

Bill

Bill, I still have some incandescent bulbs yet and will continue to use them until I deplete them. I do have a few CFLs installed in lights I use for photography as they are all the same. Thanks for the info.

Bill, it most part of a day to complete the light. I really helps that I have Illustrator to digitally draw out the templates, easy stuff. I spent more time painting it than I did preparing all the parts!