Thread: Earlex 3500

Earlex 3500

Hi folks,

Looking into a spray system. I have a small, Porter Cable pancake compressor, so I think that a compressor driven option is out.

Costco has the Earlex HV3500 for $139.99 + tax shipped to my door. There is also the possibility of one "used" (seller states it is NIB though) for about $100.

I realize that it is an entry-level unit with it's bigger brother 5500 being the one that most woodworkers get. Looking online, the 3500 is 500W and the 5500 is 650W. Other than that, the 5500 has a much nicer gun. On Earlex's website, both have similar things in what materials they can spray.

Right now, I would be using it to spray trim and interior doors, most likely thinned latex paint. I think that what the 3500 comes with would handle that no problems.

Now, down the line, am I able to change out the gun that comes with the 3500 with something bettter (read: worth probably twice what I paid for the 3500 system) and be good to go? Will the 500W turbine be noticeably different from the 650W?

If I change out the gun in the future, what won't I be able to do with the 3500 system?

Thanks,
    Nate

I've never used the Earlex 3500. I'm not sure about using the 3500's turbine unit with a better gun but I'd be sceptical. I think HVLP setups like Apollo and Fuji run pressures quite a bit higher than Earlex and the hose-gun connectors are different. I seem to recall reading that the 5000 runs at 2 psi but don't know where I saw that, may be wrong. I know it uses a 2 stage Ametek turbine, the others use 3 or 4 stage turbine. The cup is pressurized on the 5000 and I suspect the pressurized feed is why Earlex can spray fairly viscous materials with such low pressure. Lord knows I'm no expert but I have a good time.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 04-08-2013 at 8:37 AM.

I would call Earlex and speak with tech support. I have found them very knowledgeable and friendly. I have the 5500 and just starting to learn but very happy with it. Right now many places have it for $299 and including a FREE 1.5mm needle and free shipping. Getting a 3500 now and upgrading later will cost you:

3500: $139
    5500 gun: $129
    1.5mm needle: $40

So now you are at $308 with a weaker turbine.

I decided to pass. Doesn't sound like the turbine meets the requirements of the guns I would be looking at.

That being said, the seller did drop the price to $80. $80 CAD for a NIB Earlex HV3500 will be a great deal for someone whose needs are met by it.

-Nate

the 5500 is about as far down the chain as you want to go, the others just dont have it, especially with water base products