Thread: Dado Blade Advice - 6" vs. 8"?

Dado Blade Advice - 6" vs. 8"?

Hi -

I'm new to the Creek, but have learned lots of useful info since I found this board while researching a new table saw. I just replaced my little <$100 Skil benchtop saw with the Ridgid TS3650, and now that the new toy's set up and running smooth and straight, I'm looking for a decent dado set. (I've checked the arbor and believe I've got one of the new ones, so I don't anticipate any problems with a stack of dado blades.)

I'm shopping for dado sets in about the $100 range, and am looking for advice from those who've already been down this path. Are there advantages to using an 8" set as opposed to a 6" set? I realize the teeth are moving faster 4" away from the arbor than if they were 3" away, and I assume the faster teeth would potentially produce a cleaner cut. Still, I'm seeing 6" sets with more teeth (30, for example) so on paper, the 6" rig seems to have good potential for smooth cuts as well, for potentially about $20 less.

Rockler has a 6" 30-tooth dado set from Avenger that's priced a somewhat lower than the low-end 8" Freud set. They've also got an 8" Avenger set that looks OK, but it doesn't have a 3/32" chipper, which seems like a good thing to have. Also, I'm familiar with Freud, but don't know much about Avenger. Any thoughts or advice, both on size and brand?

Thanks in advance -

- Vaughn

First let me say, Welcome to the Creek. Great source of knowledge for you to tap at any time.

Very seldom will you need to dado deeper than 3/4 of an inch, so the 6" dado should serve you well. The smaller dado also takes less HP to operate so that will be less wear on your motor.

Because not all the plywood is full size in thickness now, go for the set that will give you the most options for adjustment.

I'd go with Dave's logic if you'll only need shallow dados. I ran an 8" set for years on a 1 1/2 HP contactors saw and didn't have any problem with the power. That machine ran at 3000 RPM though. If your saw runs at 4000 then it would have less torque. The 8" lets you make much deeper cuts - 2 1/8" versus 1 1/8". I use that cut depth to cut open mortise joints in stock as thick as 2". Quick and accurate. It worked out well that I had an 8" set when I got the SawStop, because that saw only works with 8" dado sets. Best, Dave

I sold my 8" dado stack.

Bought a 6" Freud SD506.

I see nowhere in my future for dados deeper than an inch or so.
    Gary
    Bluegrass - Finger Pickin Good!

I use the Freud 6" Safety Dado for many years now (I think they replaced this model since I got it), very clean cuts. Two things to consider, if you think you will need the deeper cut go for the 8", on the other hand you do pay premium for the larger size.

About the only things you'd miss an 8" capacity for is if you're trying to do something like half-lap joints on 4x4 stock or cleaning out the middle slot on deep bridle joints. And there's other ways to do both of those anyway. Going with the 6" would work out fine for normal dado and rabbet use.
    Use the fence Luke

Thanks much, all. Your comments helped to reinforce my preconceived notions about the blade diameter. I'm not planning on any deep dados, and like Doug says, if the need ever came up, there are other ways it could be done.

Anyone have experience with the Avenger brand blades, or should I stick with Freud?

Thanks again -

- Vaughn

I bought the avenger 6" dado...I think I got it from amazon for $49 bucks...it might not be as good as a 200 set...but it works fine for me. I think it came down for me as this was my first dado blade, and if it starts to crap out on me or I suddenly get good at woodworking( highly doubtful)...I will upgrade, but for me the avenger 10 times better than I am

I can't remember if this applies to the Avenger or not, but check the max RPM's on it and compare it to your table saw. I once saw a dado blade that had a max RPM well below what most saws did.

Vaughn, The Avenger dado didn't do very well in a magazine (can't remember which one) test a year or so back. The Freud stacked dado's (SD-206 and S-208) did pretty well.
    Dennis