Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaving your mark?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Leaving your mark?

Good morning all. I have been thinking a long time about different ways to mark my projects with my name, date, etc. Usually what it comes down to for me is a Sharpie pen. I have really considered buying one of those wood branding irons, but am not sure. Does anyone have any experience using one of those. I am also open to any other ways to "leave my mark." Thanks for sharing.
    Keel McDonald ><>

I wanted the same thing Keel, but I wasn't willing to pay the money for a custom made branding iron so I took a piece of brass and a grinder and made my own. It's just a heart (to go with my name) that fits on my wood burner. Some day, I'm going to try a more complex signature.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    I have a branding iron which I use to use (no longer). I use a Sharpie on some things, but mostly I use:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...tid=3112&stc=1

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...tid=3113&stc=1

I am also experimenting on casting my own medallions
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

The people I build for (family) want to see my actual signature and any personal comments I care to add. Because of that, I use a Sharpie, but always epoxy a coin with the correct year next to the message. I often use a "special" coin such as buffalo nickel or dollar coin. For me, it's one way to add instant value .

Bob

I use a branding iron and sign and date.
    Charlie Jones

My darling kids bought me the Lee Valley branding iron for Christmas this past year. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43456,43462 I heat it up with the propane plumbing torch and it takes about 2 - 3 minutes. It takes a little practice on some scrap to get the right balance between too long and not-long-enough to leave a nice clean impression. I really like the branding iron myself.

Bob, I like the idea of the coin. I think I'll start adding that for future projects. Do you recess the coin with a Forstner bit, or just epoxy it on the surface?

STeve

As cocky as this may sound, I sign every thing with a sharpie and date it. You never no what the future will hold...maybe I will be famous one day for "something" and the items I have made will be more valueable to the loved ones they were built for.

You just never no.....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Aiken

Bob, I like the idea of the coin. I think I'll start adding that for future projects. Do you recess the coin with a Forstner bit, or just epoxy it on the surface?

STeve
    Steve, I do recess the coin with a forster bit. I scuff up the back of the coin with sandpaper and use 5 min. epoxy to glue it on. I often use the current "state quarter", but have been known to use other coins that I like. On the bookcase I'm currently building, I'm using a "walking liberty" silver dollar. Because this coin is beautiful and also relatively valuable (about $22), I'm mounting it using a clear plastic case, attached to a "secret" false bottom compartment underneath the bottom shelf.

The coin is secondary. I believe that when I'm long gone, my family will treasure my signature and message more than a piece of metal with a date.

Bob

Dumb sharpie question...

I have used a penny before, but not a sharpie. I am considering a branding iron, like Jason's, but have not pulled the trigger yet.

For those that use a sharpie...

I am assuming you sign before you start to finish. How does BLO and Varnish affect the sharpie ink? Does it ever smear? Has anyone tried this on cherry? I am wondering if it will show up after the cherry darkens? Those are the reasons I have not tried this yet, but as I complete more projects, I feel the need to do something besides the coin.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe
    I have used a penny before, but not a sharpie. I am considering a branding iron, like Jason's, but have not pulled the trigger yet.

For those that use a sharpie...

I am assuming you sign before you start to finish. How does BLO and Varnish affect the sharpie ink? Does it ever smear? Has anyone tried this on cherry? I am wondering if it will show up after the cherry darkens? Those are the reasons I have not tried this yet, but as I complete more projects, I feel the need to do something besides the coin.
    I sign in a location that is not directly visable...say the backside of a cabinet or the bottom of a drawer. These areas ar rarely finished in something that will adversely effect the sharpie.

Martin, I have signed over dried BLO and there is no problem with that. The spot that you choose to sign, will probably not see much sun light, so don't worry about darkening. And even the piece did darken, I can't imagine that it would matter all that much. If you're worried, sign an old scrap of cherry that's darkened in the shop and see what you get.

On a recent project I used a fine Sharpie to sign my name, date and the name/brand of the finish.

- Kevin

I carve my initials into glue squeeze out.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Ford
    I carve my initials into glue squeeze out.

Darren -too funny. -Steve

I wipe a bit of shellac on, and use india ink in a nib pen, with my name printed, and the date and "Philadelphia".
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop