Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phillips Vs Posi Drive????

Phillips Vs Posi Drive????

Not sure I know what the difference is between Phillips and Posi Drive. Then there is Posi Drive ball detent, or wire detent.

Checked the McFeely's site, and the pic looks pretty much like Phillips to me.

Anybody satisfy an old man's idle curiosity?

Rick Potter

Ball detent and wire detent refer to how the bit is retained in the bit holder. If you google posi-drive you can see the difference. The posi has small lugs in the corners of a conventional phillips. More surface area, less cam-out.

Blog Entries
    Phillips heads were designed to cam out under extreme torque. Pozidriv is designed to not cam out. That is a simplification but fundamentally correct.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 04-10-2013 at 2:28 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

In addition to what the others have said, phillips bits tend to tear up pozi drive screws fairly easily. I keep a #2 pozi screwdriver just for all of the Blum hardware I use to prevent damage to the pozi screws they use.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Baumgartner View Post
    Great link. I worked for an industrial supply company for a while and always prided myself on knowing many of the odd head styles and drive styles but boy there are some in that list Ive never come across.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    In addition to what the others have said, phillips bits tend to tear up pozi drive screws fairly easily. I keep a #2 pozi screwdriver just for all of the Blum hardware I use to prevent damage to the pozi screws they use.
    I think that's the most important thing to remember about the Posi Drives. Trying to adjust any Euro hardware with a normal phillips is asking for trouble. I keep both phillips and posi drives with my driver bits.

JeffD

I use a Fluorescent Red Testors paint marker to identify my pozi bits. It looks Orange to me.

I switched to SPAX screws (Posi Drive) exclusively a couple years ago now. I'm very pleased with them and the Posi bit is about the only driver I use these days.

Mike

The Phillips bit is quite pointed, whereas the tip on a Posi is flattened. Use it on a Posi and it as a result can't fully engage in the slots and damage is the result.

Posi drivers are not a perfect fit in a Philips either.

Pay attention when you engage a screwdriver and you can usually tell if you have the right one - both types more or less click into place and have no slop whatsoever in the right screw.

It's basically a matter of always using the right screwdriver or bit. I've not been able to go one direction or the other - Posi is typical for us in Ireland, but we still get (especially US originating) bits of equipment with Philips screws fitted....

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 04-11-2013 at 12:21 PM.

Posi drives are also used alot in motor starters, overloads and the electrical equivalent. What is cool is that you can stick a posi driver in the screw and it will support itself and not fall out. No can do with a regular philips.
    Greg

Generalization: The wire detent is for handheld tools and is normally associated with 1" bits.

The ball detent is designed for 1/4" drive power screwdrivers / impact wrenches, where you had a slide-lock bit retainer.

If you use a wire detent in the ball-detent designed devices, it will fall out.

I've read that using a ball detent bit in a wire detent device can lead to the bit jamming in the tool, although I haven't (yet) experienced it.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Great info guys,

I should have known what ball and wire detents were. Lots of info on posi screws. I never knew you needed a special screwdriver for them. Just what I need....more tools.

A friend was telling me about screws on Japanese motorcycles being slightly different from normal Phillips, going way back to at least the '60's. They have a different angle on the point, and a flattened bottom.

Thanks again,

Rick Potter

Those are JIS, not a phillips. Guess that is one that is not on Wikipedia. That Wikipedia listing had some I could never have imagined.........

Blog Entries
    I'm surprised how many folks don't know there are different Phillips bits, commonly using a pointy #1 Phillips in a screw designed for a somewhat blunter #2 Phillips. A #2 Phillips has a flat end, unlike the #1 which is more pointed, but not as pointed as the smaller #0 Phillips. Don't know if the Posi comes in different sizes. I believe the Blum Posi screws are somewhat compatible with the #2 Phillips. I also believe the bag of 500 #6 x 5/8" screws I got from my cabinet supplier to go with my Blum hinges and slides were common #2 Phillips, not Posi.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 04-11-2013 at 7:32 PM.