Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with Cracked Lens

Blog Entries
    For clarity...

The lens should never get hot enough to crack during normal operation... in fact, you shouldn't even feel it get warm. If it's getting hot, you need to check your alignment and make sure the beam is not hitting the edge of the lens holder.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

On my ILS laser if the cone is attached and the air is NOT ON; when I try to start a job a pop up window comes on the screen saying "air low" or "air pressure low" don't recall exactly which, and the laser will NOT operate. There are small magnets in the cone and sweep that tell the driver you have one or the other attached.
    Does your PLS laser run with the cone attached and the air turned off? If so, that seems odd to me that mine will not yet yours will. I understand 2 different machines, but looks like it is just as important for you to not be able to run without air as it would be for me regardless of which laser we have. You have the professional series so that certainly isn't their low end model.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lassiter View Post
    On my ILS laser if the cone is attached and the air is NOT ON; when I try to start a job a pop up window comes on the screen saying "air low" or "air pressure low" don't recall exactly which, and the laser will NOT operate. There are small magnets in the cone and sweep that tell the driver you have one or the other attached.
    Does your PLS laser run with the cone attached and the air turned off? If so, that seems odd to me that mine will not yet yours will. I understand 2 different machines, but looks like it is just as important for you to not be able to run without air as it would be for me regardless of which laser we have. You have the professional series so that certainly isn't their low end model.
    Mike, it does just like your machine but if you have the air turned off in the software, and leave the nose cone on, the machine doesn't know that, and that's where the problem comes in.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post

Why this isn't in every manual baffles me, but I guess you'd have to admit there is an issue before you can address it in the manual.
    I bought my laser a a few years back, but that info was in the documentation. I never run it without air assist. Though one of the fittings on mine was leaking air so badly, could not keep the pressure up. So took it apart, put a paper gasket in it, no more air leak.
    Last edited by George Brown; 04-12-2013 at 11:48 AM.
    George