Thread: What to use for a high gloss finish?

What to use for a high gloss finish?

I am a new member and this is my first post. A friend of 58 years has asked me to build him a toe pincher coffin. I worked in construction as a carpenter, but I am just getting into the world of finish work. I have built some small coffins for Halloween and for fun, but never a full sized one. I really want the finish to look great for him. I have read a little about Waterlox, and I am wondering if this is a good choice, or is there something that would work as well,or better. P.S.he is not ill at the present, just getting prepared.
    Thanks
    Mark

Waterlox is an excellent varnish. Lacquer or a gloss water-borne finish will also work.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Thanks Scott. Is one easier to apply than the others. Is there a site where I can get some step by step instructions?
    Mark

I have another question for you Scott. Will waterlox keep wood from cracking for an extended period of time? I talked to a funeral home today, they said that if they have a casket for a couple of years, they crack. I live in Utah and it is a dry climate.
    Thanks again.
    Mark

It depends heavily on the design of the casket as well as on the wood chosen. You have to take account of wood movement. Wood will shrink or swell across its grain depending on whether the wood becomes drier or wetter. No finish will really stop moisture transfer to account for such wood movement, though a couple of thin coats of shellac before using the varnish would help. Shellac on interior surfaces is also a good idea. But, since none of this will completely stop wood movement you need to consider things like frame and panel construction. And other methods of letting the wood move without being restricted so that it would split.

Painted black with edges trimmed out with gilded tacks is a good look.I would avoid a light color stain,it's not a coffee table. A pair of 'joint stools' to hold the coffin and be passed down in the family would be a good addition to the order.... So much better than those chrome things with rubber wheels.

Thanks Steve.I plan on using Poplar. So you recommend a raised panel design so there will be some movement between the panel, rails and stiles? I plan on storing the coffin in my crawl space, which has a concrete floor with carpet on it, it is adjacent to our downstairs.(tri level). I should be able to keep it a fairly constant temperature.
    Thanks again.
    Mark

It's constant humidity that is important with constant interior temperature being of minor importance. Constant interior temperature often means variable relative humidity if the outside temperatures vary. That is, in winter cold air holds relatively little water vapor so that when it warms up as in moves inside, the interior humidity becomes quite low. In summer interior humidities can sore unless you have AC that controls humidity or specialized dehumidifiers. It's best to assume that humidity will vary, and play it safe by choosing construction that allows for wood movement.