Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tattoo question

I have one tattoo, of a gargoyle, on my back left shoulder. I named him Cyril. I tell people "He watches my back."
    I got him because I wanted a tattoo and I like gargoyles. My understanding is they were historically erected in stone form to keep bad spirits away. So having a gargoyle on my back, that 'watches my back' kind of ties it all together for me. No, I don't really believe that a picture of a gargoyle does anything in the real world to protect me, but I like the subject matter, and I like the story. That's about as deep as the meaning goes for me. I don't regret it a bit, and continue to think about what other ink I might like to get (when I get a few spare dollars that don't go toward the woodturning vortex). I don't believe any other tattoo I get would have any 'deep meaning' either, but I do like things to have at least some connection in my mind. When Cyril gets old and splotchy and looks like a vaguely egg shaped blob, I still won't regret it because I can just imagine what my own face and body will look like by that time. Who am I to criticize how Cyril looks then?!
    I wasn't willing to have my tattoo in the more visible places because I didn't want to risk the 'consequences'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Hamaker View Post
    When Cyril gets old and splotchy and looks like a vaguely egg shaped blob, I still won't regret it because I can just imagine what my own face and body will look like by that time. Who am I to criticize how Cyril looks then?!
    That has to be the best awnser I have ever heard as an argument to that point
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

I've enjoyed this topic and the thread. I am not a tattoo person and have only had fleeting thoughts of getting one but I seriously doubt I'll ever get anything. Kids today go overboard with full arms and shoulder inked up. I always wonder what they think and how they look 20, 30 years later. A lot of basketball players go pretty crazy, too.

My father was in the Navy for 20 years. He has no tattoos. I recall a friend of his who had a small curly-cue line on his shoulder. I asked him about it and he said he had the artist stop because it hurt too much! LOL My father said he simply didn't like them nor did he want to spend the money on them.

We all have ways of celebrating our individuality: body art, jewelry, clothing, hair style, etc. Humans have done this as far back as any records show.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Hamaker View Post
    I wasn't willing to have my tattoo in the more visible places because I didn't want to risk the 'consequences'.
    .. in other words ... "I'm afraid mom will find out."
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

If you're under twenty - the only name you should consider is "MOM".

It bears mentioning that neck tattoos, face tattoos or the like will be grounds for rejection in many HR departments.
    If you're going to wear colors - be prepared to wear long sleeves, in all weather.

http://www.careerealism.com/hiring-d...oos-piercings/

i have 7 tattoos. the first one is a snake wrapped around barbed wire encompassing my right upper arm. i got it because my unit at the time was known as Vipers. the second is a bald eagle holding an American flag in its mouth. it also encompasses my left upper arm. i got it because i have served this flag and great Nation for a long time. the third is tribal on my back....just because it looked cool. the fourth is a grim reaper holding a smoking machine gun. this is for all the dark/evil things i have witnessed/participated in during my career. 5 an 6 is picture of the humvee i used while in baghdad, iraq in 2004. on top of it is apache helicopter. i chose that because they were our support when driving around the city and my son in law is a mechanic for them.

I have been serving for 21 years now and still love my job. i am planning for retirement soon and am fully aware that not every employer appreciates tattoos. i will never get rid of them. so i will wear long sleeve shirts to cover them. i have been wearing long sleeves everyday for the last 21 years. dont think another 20 will hurt.
    only two forces have ever died for you. Jesus Christ the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

'Americas worst tattoos' ... watch a few episodes before you get one

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/americas-worst-tattoos
    Last edited by Bill Cunningham; 04-25-2013 at 11:14 PM.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    'Americas worst tattoos' ... watch a few episodes before you get one

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/americas-worst-tattoos
    To be fair to tattoos, that show mostly involves teenagers that think it is a great idea to have their boyfriend's cousin give them a tattoo in the basement while they all smoke something psychedelic. The "artist" usually has all the artistic caliber of a 1st grader and his tattoo kit consists of a magic marker and one of grandma's sewing needles.

It is pretty amazing how a professional artist can turn a demonic My Little Pony into a tasteful design though!

Greetings & Salutations, I know that we have a number of women here on the Creek so this is more for them than the guys but it could be applied across the board. "Just remember when you have a Eagle on you back when you are young it will become a buzzard in your crack when you are old."
    And to think it only took me 2 weeks 26 hours and 43 minutes to get that top flat.

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    I have one tattoo on my lower right leg. It is a unique one that I got a number of years ago as a senior executive with the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society. (Yes...the one on Whale Wars on Animal Planet.) I have never regretted getting the tattoo. It is out of sight when wearing long pants, and solidifies my continued support of an organization committed to ocean wildlife conservation issues. (Not PETA or money-grubbing Greenpeace). I can't imagine having it removed. It is a reminder of my three years helping to guide the organization that continues its mission today.

DSC00274.jpg
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

Quote Originally Posted by Gene E Miller View Post
    "Just remember when you have a Eagle on you back when you are young it will become a buzzard "
    That's so true. Unfortunately it's almost impossible for a young person to believe it or accept it. When I got my skull and bones tattoo I truly thought I'd be a rebel forever.
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 04-29-2013 at 12:04 AM.

I've got a couple of tattoos, each one is for a part or person in my life I wanted to remember. I'll probably get more at some point. I don't regret any of them. I did make a considered desicion to not get any that I couldn't cover in long pants and a polo shirt so they wouldn't cause me job problems later on, and that's a good idea for most folks I would say. If your a tattoo artist or motorcycle mechanic it might never cause you any problems, but for alot of professions it might give the HR folks pause.

Jon

No Regerts.

I see a lot of high school girls and guys with tatoos and more with Tee shirts with pictures and sayings. They seem surprised people stare and try to read them and figure them out. they complain to their friends some guy asked them what they mean. Some guy was staring at my chest etc. like they think the meaning should be obvious.
    Bill D

You guys realize this thread is 9 years old, right?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”