Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tattoo question

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Just remember that for many people, including some employers, tattoos are known as "Tramp Stamps". Depending on your profession, they could hinder your advancement.

Mike
    A "tramp stamp" is only a tattoo that exists on a certain part of a woman's body. Most tattoos are not regarded as such.

Originally Posted by curtis rosche
    Im not saying Im getting one,,, Im just curious cause every time Ive heard about tattoos, its either from someone who just got one, or its from someone who has never had one but claims that all of them are later regretable. I just want to hear the other side of the argument, from people whove had them for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Probably should have asked somewhere else.
    I think it's a great topic. Tattoos have become very mainstream and accepted. I like the way you're looking at it, Curtis. Your asking good questions.

FWIW- I was in a bar about 25 years ago when one of the regulars walked in to show off his brand new tattoos. One was the yin-yang symbol on his shoulder that he referred to as, "one of those Chinese ying-yang signs." The other tat payed homage to his favorite band and covered his entire forearm. There was a smiling skull with a lightning bolt on it and the words Greatful Dead emblazoned in huge letters for all the world to see. I noticed the mistake immediately, but didn't have the heart to tell him. I still wonder to this day how long it took him to figure it out.

I seriously thought about getting some body art years ago. There are beautiful examples out there, but quality ink work is very expensive and I would be careful in selecting the artist. I opted for some discrete piercings, not visible in work clothing and which can be removed for medical procedures. Piercing seems passe these days, but I still enjoy mine because they remind me of significant happenings in my life. I recommend any tattoo work you consider be discrete also. There are still old school employers around that can't see past the ink.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bourque View Post
    FWIW- I was in a bar about 25 years ago when one of the regulars walked in to show off his brand new tattoos. One was the yin-yang symbol on his shoulder that he referred to as, "one of those Chinese ying-yang signs." The other tat payed homage to his favorite band and covered his entire forearm. There was a smiling skull with a lightning bolt on it and the words Greatful Dead emblazoned in huge letters for all the world to see. I noticed the mistake immediately, but didn't have the heart to tell him. I still wonder to this day how long it took him to figure it out.
    Supposedly, many tattoo shops around army bases put up a sign that basically says, "Calvary is where Jesus died. Cavalry is an army unit"

I read a book a few years ago that was pretty good on this topic.

Tattoo Machine: Tall Tales, True Stories, and My Life in Ink by Jeff Johnson.

Good question Curtis.

I have more than one tattoo. The one I had done for sentimental reasons is the one I am not happy with. I searched around to find an artist known for his fine inking skills. I had a graphic a friend had drawn that I wanted inked. It was fine and elegant. The tattoo came out looking thick and somewhat clunky. Comparing the drawing and the tattoo side-by-side ... you wouldn't know it was supposed to be the same thing other then the basic shape.

Most people have no idea I have tattoos. The people who have seen that sentimental tattoo all like it and think it's great. I don't like it, because to me, it's not "my drawing." I think it bothers me more because I did that tattoo for sentimental reasons and it came out not looking the way I wanted it to.

Over the years, I have talked to others about their tattoos and for the ones who did/do not like their tattoo, the common factor is it was not drawn to their expectations. The same thing happens in every field and aspect of our lives. Just because someone knows how to use a tool, doesn't mean they can do a good job. (Perfect example. Just because I know how to use a pencil, it still doesn't mean people can read my handwriting!)
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    I think it's a great topic.
    Perhaps so. But the replies are mostly not what was asked.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

My wife has a not-small, but discreet, tattoo on one shoulderblade. I think if you were to ask her, her advice might be, "If you choose to get one, make sure it is in an area that can easily be covered up".

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Perhaps so. But the replies are mostly not what was asked.
    Mike Chance's reply was exactly the kind of reply I was looking for.

Thanks Mike, and to the others.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Yeah, I'm just commenting on how answers to Qs get so "not what was asked for".
    Life goes on.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I can second the suggestion to keep your tattoos under your clothing. I have several tattoos, all on my arms. The biggest was a design on my forearm which stretched nearly wrist to elbow. Out of all of them I have, it had the least meaning and I got it on a whim one night in Subic Bay.

Over the years I had it, it didn't age as well as my other ones and faded and spread and generally looked ugly. It even cost me a job offer. Eventually I had it removed.

I can tell you the laser removal process is no joke. The actual zapping with the laser isn't too bad, it goes fast and doesn't hurt all that bad, but the recovery is agony.

The laser breaks up the ink by heating it. Problem is that heat burns your skin in the process. So after leaving the clinic with an ice pack taped to my arm, I'd race home with my arm on fire and run cold water on it the second I walked in the door. Over the next several weeks I'd work with what amounted to a large burn on my forearm, which would eventually scab over, then crack and bleed and then scab and itch. After 6 weeks, everything would finally be healed up and I'd get to go back and do it all over again. I repeated this process 12 times at a cost of $250 per treatment to get rid of that ink.

I still have one on the underside of my forearm which I've considered getting removed but to this point haven't committed to the idea. Fortunately all the other tats I have are under my
    sleeves where they're not seen, plus I still like them.

At the time I got the one I removed, I loved it and thought it'd be a part of me forever. I never considered my opinion of it might change or it's size and location might present a problem. If you decide to get inked, do your future self a favor and keep them confined to locations under your clothes.

I waited until my mid 30's before getting inked. Not out of any moral dilemma, just that I couldn't decide what to get! Now I have two that can easily be covered up and I don't regret them. However.... I am still not thrilled that my wife and eldest daughter have tatoos. I reserve the right to be a little sexist now and then!

While I didn't get mine out of rebellion or to take a stand on any issue, it does seem that nowadays everybody has a tattoo and it has lost a little of the impact. You certainly should get the ink done for solely your enjoyment but it was kind of nice to stand out from the crowd a little. Now if every Tom, Dick and Harriet has a tattoo then you really aren't that individual, are you? Just thoughts to consider...

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Johnson View Post
    . Now if every Tom, Dick and Harriet has a tattoo then you really aren't that individual, are you?
    Yes, good point. Today one could show individuality by not getting a tattoo.

No regrets for me. But then I do not have any ink. Leaving my options open.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.