Thread: Mudroom bench

Mudroom bench

Mudroom oak bench.jpg Hi all. Building this mudroom bench and upper shelf for my daughter's Christmas home tour. Shelf with brackets completed. Different design than the picture shows. I installed the tongue and groove pine last week-end. Their walls are L shape, so I neo-angled the corner. I've just dressed out the 1.5" red oak for the seat. I'm going to rout the bottom to allow a 1/2" ply to secure the 22 degree miter cuts. I'm going to dovetail the seat supports where they meet the wall, then attach a dovetailed piece to the wall and slide them down over. My question, is the dovetail the best approach to attach the top of the supports to the seat? Thanks, Greg

Put a top deck on the bottom section and just lip the face of the wood top over it.

I agree with Martin. Going dovetail sounds nice and fancy but it'll be a lot of work and the fit needs to be nearly perfect for it to slide smoothly.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

4. i
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory King View Post
    Mudroom oak bench.jpg Hi all. Building this mudroom bench and upper shelf for my daughter's Christmas home tour. Shelf with brackets completed. Different design than the picture shows. I installed the tongue and groove pine last week-end. Their walls are L shape, so I neo-angled the corner. I've just dressed out the 1.5" red oak for the seat. I'm going to rout the bottom to allow a 1/2" ply to secure the 22 degree miter cuts. I'm going to dovetail the seat supports where they meet the wall, then attach a dovetailed piece to the wall and slide them down over. My question, is the dovetail the best approach to attach the top of the supports to the seat? Thanks, Greg
    I love your mudroom and its like am goin to follow this but its more simpler than this one.

Mason: sorry that picture is meant as a guide only. I am doing the seat exactly, but the top has an open shelf only with brackets under. Installed that today. I'll post pictures when I complete the project. Martin/ Chris, I have to agree on the dovetail plan. In a perfect world, where walls are dead plumb and wood doesn't twist, the dovetail might work. So this AM I planed the oak down to 1.25" thick. Still going to rout the miter cuts to allow a ply piece to secure those joints on the bottom side. I'll use oak cleats on both top sides of the seat supports to secure those to the seat. Then rabbet the tops at the wall to install a ledger. In the end, I'll glue a 2" strip of oak at the front of the seat to hide the top cleats. Was thinking that I might put a dab of panel bond on the bottom of the supports and glue to the ceramic tile. But I worry that might eventually pull the tile loose if the wood moves. They have a heat pump and air exchanger, so the environment does stay very stable. PS. Forgot to mention the seat is roughly 15" wide. Greg