Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using Ubiquinol?

Blog Entries

Anyone using Ubiquinol?

I take Lipitor and have been reading that those who are taking Statins should also take Ubiquinol. Anyone using this? Have any info on Ubiquinol?
    Thanks
    Dennis

If you are going to continue in statins you should definitly take it but my best suggestion is to stop statin drugs and take ubiquinol anyway. Why are you taking a statin drug anyway. I'm surt your doctor told you that you need to but.... remember this Cholesterol Is Not A Disease and it is neither the cause of heart disease. There is definitely another side to the statin story. Don't be snookered!

http://pi-bill-articles.blogspot.com...statin%20drugs

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
    If you are going to continue in statins you should definitly take it but my best suggestion is to stop statin drugs and take ubiquinol anyway. Why are you taking a statin drug anyway. I'm surt your doctor told you that you need to but.... remember this Cholesterol Is Not A Disease and it is neither the cause of heart disease. There is definitely another side to the statin story. Don't be snookered!

http://pi-bill-articles.blogspot.com...statin%20drugs
    I was going to say something, I'm glad you did.

The movie "Fat Head" (IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1333994/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1) provides a pretty interesting look at cholesterol, and diet.

I was also surprised to hear a story on NPR today about exercise, and stretching. Turns out that there really is no scientific evidence that stretching helps people avoid injury during subsequent exercise. And in some instances, it can actually INCREASE the risk of injury.

[No evidence is provides any help AFTER exercise, either, in case you were wondering.]

Ubiquinol is a form of CoQ10 which is naturally made in your body unless you take a statin drug such as Lipitor. Statin drugs not only lower your cholesterol but inhibit production of CoQ10 and testosterone among others. Here are some articles that refer to CoQ10 - http://pi-bill-articles.blogspot.com/search/label/CoQ10. And on statin side effects - http://pi-bill-articles.blogspot.com...side%20effects. And links to cancer - http://pi-bill-articles.blogspot.com...h/label/cancer. Please take CoQ10! Like I said if you keep taking a statin take a reasonably high dose and ubiquinol is suppose to be the best though more expensive form of CoQ10. Your body and expecially your heart muscles need CoQ10!

I take CO Q10. I also take statins. If I do not take CO Q10 I get tired by noon to 2pm. This is not a pacebo effect as I have taken it for years, Placebo effects last only from 3-6 months. As for the rest of the items dicussed do as you will.

How much ubiquinol should someone take a day?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stahl View Post
    How much ubiquinol should someone take a day?
    The instructions on the bottle say "Adults take 1 softgel daily". Each softgel is 100mg. I bought "Qunol mega CoQ10" at Costco
    Dennis

If you are on statins I would take a minimum of 200mg per day of ubiquinol or double that if regular CoQ10. But read these since there is not total agreement. But whatever you do take some for your heart. Depletion is a likely cause of heart failure in statin takers.

http://totalhealthmagazine.com/featu...-up-to-be.html
    http://inhumanexperiment.blogspot.co...ubiquinol.html
    http://www.drsinatra.com/ubiquinone-vs-ubiquinol

I will preface this by writing that while I am a physician nothing I state here is intended to be taken as medical advice to anyone. That said -

Perhaps you should be getting advice on medications/supplements from the physician who ordered the Lipitor in the first place. Woodworking sites tend to be full of people with expertise on woodworking and no undertanding at all of cholesterol metabolism. Yes, you should be on CoQ-10 if you take a statin. A reasonable dose for most people is 200mg/day. No, it doesn't matter whether it's called CoQ-10, Ubiquinol, ubiquinone; generic meds have to pass the same FDA standards as name brand. Buy it at Sam's Club if you want. Elevated levels of cholesterol and certain lipoproteins are a CLEAR AND UNDISPUTED risk factor for heart disease, stroke and certain other diseases. Statins CAN help lower the risk of a primary event and lower the rate of recurrence of a subsequent event. If a statin is prescribed (really doesn't matter which one by the way) avoid taking it at your own peril.

These drugs save lives. Any argument to the contrary is "bovine scatology". RIP Gen Schwartzkopf.

My apologies to those who seem to think that Lipitor and other statins should not be taken. I think the hard, scientific evidence would say otherwise. Also what would say otherwise is direct experience from people like me who have been taking it for 8 years and it has helped prevent another heart attack and I truly believe it. As for Ubiquinol I have no comment because I had not ever heard of it before. Not only me but many others who I know are taking statins have never heard of it. For now, I will take my medical advice from my doctors and not a woodworking forum member with no apparent credentials.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Snyder View Post
    Perhaps you should be getting advice on medications/supplements from the physician who ordered the Lipitor in the first place. Woodworking sites tend to be full of people with expertise on woodworking and no undertanding at all of cholesterol metabolism.
    Said the MD at the woodworking site, LOL.

Relying on the input of a single, qualified expert is certainly one way to go.

But of course, you'd have to wonder why he isn't already taking CoQ-10 already, right?

The original poster, by asking here, can learn what others taking statins were told by their physicians. Based on that, he can determine whether a conversation with his doctor is warranted. It is like getting several [free] 2nd opinions.

The reality is, asking here not only benefits the OP, it benefits his doctor. Because now the questions he asks his doctor are sort of "prequalified." He knows it is important to bring up CoQ-10. But if he had concerns that eating some specific food would reduce the effectiveness of the statin, he could also ask that here and not have to waste his doctor's time.

It also benefits society, as the OP is intelligently using alternative sources to help make informed decisions. After all, relying exclusively on your doctor is sort of an expensive way to go.

Asking here also benefits other SMC members that may be unaware of the importance of taking CoQ-10, if they are also using statins.

I'm struggling to think of an instance where one should rely solely on the input of a single, qualified expert.

I'll post back if I think of any.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    My apologies to those who seem to think that Lipitor and other statins should not be taken. I think the hard, scientific evidence would say otherwise. Also what would say otherwise is direct experience from people like me who have been taking it for 8 years and it has helped prevent another heart attack and I truly believe it. As for Ubiquinol I have no comment because I had not ever heard of it before. Not only me but many others who I know are taking statins have never heard of it. For now, I will take my medical advice from my doctors and not a woodworking forum member with no apparent credentials.
    Are you going to ask your doctor about Ubiquinol?

Doing so would be somewhat hypocritical, as if it weren't for a "woodworking forum member with no apparent credentials," you apparently wouldn't know anything about it.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King Jr.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt." Ascribed to Abraham Lincoln and others.

You have successfully dissuaded me from participating any further in this discussion. It seems rather pointless.

Oh, by the way, your design for a dust baffle works superbly. I followed your instructions and since I know nothing of air velocities, dust particle sizes, coefficients of drag, etc I relied on your advice. The thing works great and I plan on using one for a long time to come. Apparently dust baffles are a subject you know something about...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Snyder View Post
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King Jr.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt." Ascribed to Abraham Lincoln and others.

You have successfully dissuaded me from participating any further in this discussion. It seems rather pointless.

Oh, by the way, your design for a dust baffle works superbly. I followed your instructions and since I know nothing of air velocities, dust particle sizes, coefficients of drag, etc I relied on your advice. The thing works great and I plan on using one for a long time to come. Apparently dust baffles are a subject you know something about...
    "Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong." -- Jean-Jacques Rousseau

+1 for the doctor and his comments

While I also read a lot on the internet, I rely on my doctors for medical advice. If I did not have faith in them, why would I pay to see them. This site is great for woodworking but not the place I will go to for medical advice.