Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini Max vs SCMI T110

Mini Max vs SCMI T110

Hi Guys,

Does any one here know the differences between Mini Max Formula T1 shaper and SCMI T110 shaper? I am looking for a shaper and don't know how these rate vs each other.

Thanks,
    Albert

Erik will be the guy to know. Many MM formula machines are very close to rebadged SCMI nova series machines. I don't think the spindles are interchangeable but they are very close. Both machines have very strong spindles and a good quill assembly. I've got an odd 3/4" spindle that I think is for a Formula so let me know if you get one. Either would be first class for a hobby guy and light production work. I would take the first in good condition and not worry about it. Dave

Thanks David,

So would you say either of these machines if in good condition are better than a new PM2700 shaper? I found three used shapers. A delta invicta rs15, scmi 110, and the mini max T1. The only difference between them are in price but all their prices are lower than a brand new PM2700 so I am leaning towards one of these 3-phase used shapers. What would be your advice.

Thank You,
    Albert

Invicta is a good Brazil machine that is very heavy and fairly cheap on the used market. SCMI are probably the most plentiful and desired on the used side as parts are still available although not cheap. All are heavier than a PM. The MM and SCMI will have the same fence. It is heavy and generally only adjustable on one side. I'm not familiar with the Invicta fence. A good fence is a big deal. Dave

The Delta Invicta shaper fences that I have seen are adjustable on both sides - like the Delta HD fence on steroids. It is cast iron vs cast aluminum on the SCM/MiniMax. 360degreemachineryhad a good video walkthrough of an RS-16 which may still be on youtube. The T110A is one of my favorite shapers - small enough to fit in compact shops, but heavy enough to get things done smoothly.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    The Delta Invicta shaper fences that I have seen are adjustable on both sides - like the Delta HD fence on steroids. It is cast iron vs cast aluminum on the SCM/MiniMax. 360degreemachineryhad a good video walkthrough of an RS-16 which may still be on youtube. The T110A is one of my favorite shapers - small enough to fit in compact shops, but heavy enough to get things done smoothly.
    Hi J.R.

When you say cast iron vs cast aluminum are you comparing the SCMI/MiniMax vs Delta HD? I prefer cast iron. By the way the price for Mini Max is $2000.

Albert

Most newer are cast AL due to weight. All are very good. Check the runout. Should be .001-.002. Size of opening in the table and in the fence is important with the big shapers. Gives you options for tooling. Dave

I like the delta rs15 but seller couldn't provide the runout information so am hesitant on buying it online. The mini max T1 is from a private seller so now I am leaning towards this one and it is a little cheaper compared to the rs15 and scmi 110. I just want to make sure that the mini max is a good shaper and so far the on line research i done say it basically the same as the SCMI T110.

Albert

How are you going to power it? RPC? The two shapers are so close you won't know the difference. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    The T110A is one of my favorite shapers - small enough to fit in compact shops, but heavy enough to get things done smoothly.
    I've had my t110, of the green variety, for a few years. I guess it's around 20 years old. Both fences adjust, the opening in the table is plenty big for 8 inch cutters; tried to measure the runout of the spindle, and it's better than the tools I have to do it. Basically, I'm very satisfied with it.

As for comparisons with the minimax, I think that in the 1990's, they are generally different, but for the 2000's, check out page 60:
    https://www.partspronto.com/MachineD...NOVA%20OPS.pdf

And, as I have said before, if you are patient and look every day, good deals will pop up when you least expect them to.

Yes I am planning to buy a RPC to power whatever shaper I buy and also to power my 5hp sawstop industrial table saw. Ideally, I like to get a used SCMI 110 or 130 shaper but the ones currently available online are pretty pricey. Hopefully I can close this deal for the Mini Max T1.

Albert

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Chio View Post
    Hi J.R.

When you say cast iron vs cast aluminum are you comparing the SCMI/MiniMax vs Delta HD? I prefer cast iron. By the way the price for Mini Max is $2000.

Albert
    The Minimax hoods and some of the scmi hoods are cast aluminum, the RS-16 hoods are cast iron. I too prefer cast iron until I have to remove the hood from the table, then it takes everything I have to lift the iron hood from my larger shaper. So i dont remove it much. I have a Minimax t-40, fair bit smaller than the t1's, but the aluminum hood is similar, very light in weight, seems to work well in practice, the single side adjustment thing is a minor pia. Very good dust collection on the scmi/ Minimax hoods, not as good on the big old open back iron hoods.

Formula T1 and the T110i are the same machine, Albert.

Best,

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Hi Guys,

I pulled the trigger on the Mini Max Formula T1. What sold me is the price, it includes a power feeder, it is in really good condition, and the fact that it was used in a small one man shop. I will post pictures of it later.

Thank You all for all your inputs and advice.

Albert

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Chio View Post
    Hi Guys,

I pulled the trigger on the Mini Max Formula T1. What sold me is the price, it includes a power feeder, it is in really good condition, and the fact that it was used in a small one man shop. I will post pictures of it later.

Thank You all for all your inputs and advice.

Albert
    That's great Albert, now you can spend all the money you saved on some tooling!