Thread: Carba-Tec HM-1A...

Carba-Tec HM-1A...

Hi, all -

I was just digging around in the garage and came across something the PiL had given me years ago that I'd truly forgotten about - a Carba-Tec HM1A lathe, complete with everything needed to start turning pens. And little faceplate turnings. I can't find much online in way of reviews and comments about whether this is a good tool or not - anyone have any comments? I'm pretty excited about it regardless, and am planning on setting it up and seeing what I can do with it anyway.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Scott
    It's better to be a spectacular failure than an apologetic one...

Your last sentence is all that really matters..... I had one in College. It was my very first lathe. It wasn't the greatest quality, but did OK for beginner level pens and small items. It is what got me started in woodturning. Enjoy it.

I just looked it up via Google and it looks like a pretty nice little lathe. It should work great for small turnings. Good luck on your new hobby, (or new obsession). Tim.
    Seven days without turning makes one weak.

I'm not familiar with the lathe, but I find it interesting that you were digging around in the garage and FOUND A LATHE! I might find a missing screw or tool, but you found a lathe! I need to go dig around in my garage some more.

By virtue of the fact that it's the lathe that is in your possession, right away that makes it a pretty good lathe for you. Use it! Then use it some more! Then use it to its fullest!
    Congrats. And if you're basically new to turning then A) Visit a local woodturning club. B)View a lot of woodturning sites/videos online. C) DO NOT spend much money right away on tools, chucks, gadgets/gizmos. Use what you have to its fullest, and let your style and techniques lead you to the one or two essential items you'll need to acquire.

Be sure to get a good sharpening system. Turning tools get dull quicker than anything else in your shop.

I started on one that could be a clone of that one, except mine was variable speed. I turned a LOT of pens and stoppers on it and a few small bowls. Enjoy it!
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Lemme ask all of you this: I have a Delta lathe already, 36" bed, 12" swing. Should I be looking for a #2 MT mandrel and use the Delta instead of working on the Carba-Tec? I'm fixing to order some bits and pieces so as to start in to some turning...

Thanks,
    Scott
    It's better to be a spectacular failure than an apologetic one...

So you have something small that is fully equipped to turn pens, but you're asking us if you should just forget that and use a big lathe to turn something that's 3'4" diameter and less than 6" long instead? Better find a turning club or mentor Scott before you start spending money. Do you have a Woodcraft locally? They have pen turning classes and you can find out what to do before you spend the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott M Perry View Post
    Lemme ask all of you this: I have a Delta lathe already, 36" bed, 12" swing. Should I be looking for a #2 MT mandrel and use the Delta instead of working on the Carba-Tec? I'm fixing to order some bits and pieces so as to start in to some turning...

Thanks,
    Scott

I agree with Richard to find a turning club. As far as the lathes go I have a small Jet 1220 and a Nova DVR. I use them both all the time. I do smaller projects like pens, birdhouse ornaments, ornaments, bottle stoppers and key chain pill holders and toothpick holders on it. Bowls, vases, peppermills, etc I do on the big lathe.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.