Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bargain Clamps or If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Bargain Clamps or If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

For a long time, I've been "clamp challenged"... that is, I've gotten by with a variety of C-clamps, four pair of pipe clamps, and a couple of 12 inch Jorgys. Recently, I ran out of clamps AGAIN, and just happened to have some extra cash so went on a clamp buying spree. First stop Rocklers for a quad of their in-store brand, then some Besseys, a variety of Jorgy's, and even a set of the plastic ratcheting handle clamps from Home Depot. Finally, with a few dollars left, I was browsing eBay for a bargain. And I ran across literally hundreds of offerings. Typical listing was something like, "WHOLESALE LOT, 12 F-STYLE WOOD CLAMPS, 18 INCH, BRAND NEW", for a whopping price of 99 cents plus shipping of $29.00.

Now I didn't fall off a passing turnip truck, nor did my parents raise any fools. I KNEW that is was a scam! But curiousity got the best of me....literally. I bidded and won at $.99. Ponyed up the $30.00 on PayPal and waited. Finally after three weeks they arrived, as advertised. Even though I expected junk, I couldn't believe the quality, or lack thereof. They work well.... one is working to hold the gate to my dog's pen after the latch broke. Another is working as a door stop... just shove the bar up under the door.. works great! One sacrificed its life and donated its wooden handle to a file. I gave four of them to my wife's ex-boyfriend as a wedding gift. I still have the rest securely wrapped in the original packaging. I know I'll find a good use for them eventually.

Hmmmm.... I wonder if I'll really win those four 1/2 inch hammer drills for $1.50....
    This above all - To thine own self be true. Wm Shakespear - Hamlet

See, everything has value.

Maybe not for the intended use, but they are fulfilling a need.

Reminds me of a friend that bought a 4 pack of light bulbs for 49 cents, or something ridiculous like that. He found out why they were so cheap. Not one of them lasted past two on/off cycles.

Oh, and thanks for the story and the novel ways to use things for other than what they were intended.
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Yup, been had once by that scam too.
    Maurice

A clamp is a clamp is a clamp..... Been in use for 300 or more years before you were born and will around 300 years after we plant you for daisy food.

Good, basic clamps dont break. I am always suspect to the deals you talked about and also suspect to folks who ridicule the old inventers, make you out as the poor sap using them and then make you feel lucky that you ran into this einstein clamp inventor. Most are at woodworking shows or on the internet or late night infomercials. Some are on fleabay. Lots of plastic and gimmicks.

Well kiddies, there are no deals and there are no super clamps at 99 cents. There is junk and there is lasting value. You pay your money and you take your choice.

I have found the two best clamps out there to be the jorgenson I beam clamp and the westler clamps. They are simple, made with cast iron, easy to manhandle and never never never break! By one set and they will last more than your lifetimes.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Ron,

Thanks for posting your eBay adventure … it’s been a bad day and you brought a smile to my face. You brought to mind my first catalog purchase from Harbor Freight (before they opened a store here). I couldn’t get my wallet opened fast enough as I paged through the catalog looking at 14 volt cordless drills for $20, a hundred pair of rubber gloves (one size fits all) for $1.99, six piece chisel sets for $3.99, etc. etc. etc …..

Well you know the end of the story … thanks again … Tom

Tom,

I too looked over the HF catalogs with skepticism. I figured if the price were too good to be true it probably is. I never ordered anything from them, though I knew a few people that have done so with varying degrees of satisfaction. Mostly toward the negative side.

Well they opened a store near us, and I have to say that I have now bought a few things from them, though at least I get to see what I am buying first. Some of their stuff isn't too bad, and certainly worth what you pay for it. Other stuff I wouldn't take for free.

Add me to the list of those who bought cheapie eBay clamps. It was advertised as a lot of 6 clamps, so I bid about 10 bucks for the lot, expecting to pay about $30 by the time I got it shipped. (I knew full well they would be cheap POS clamps, but I figured they'd be worth paying about five bucks each.)

Turns out I wasn't paying very close attention to the final total when I did the payment checkout through PayPal, but I realized after the fact that the - - - -(his eBay handle is bestchoiceproducts) charged me on a "per each" basis, not "per lot". (I discovered too late that the charge to my PayPal account was about $80, not the $30 I was expecting. I went back and checked the item description, and saw nothing about the bid price being for each clamp. I should have caught it when I paid for the auction, but I was apparently on auto-pilot during the checkout process. Net result is I spent WAY too much money for a lesson in paying attention.

Caveat emptor, indeed.

- Vaughn
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 05-14-2005 at 7:27 AM. Reason: Profanity removed

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan
    Add me to the list of those who bought cheapie eBay clamps. It was advertised as a lot of 6 clamps, so I bid about 10 bucks for the lot, expecting to pay about $30 by the time I got it shipped. (I knew full well they would be cheap POS clamps, but I figured they'd be worth paying about five bucks each.)

Turns out I wasn't paying very close attention to the final total when I did the payment checkout through PayPal, but I realized after the fact that the - -- - - (his eBay handle is bestchoiceproducts) charged me on a "per each" basis, not "per lot". (I discovered too late that the charge to my PayPal account was about $80, not the $30 I was expecting. I went back and checked the item description, and saw nothing about the bid price being for each clamp. I should have caught it when I paid for the auction, but I was apparently on auto-pilot during the checkout process. Net result is I spent WAY too much money for a lesson in paying attention.

Caveat emptor, indeed.

- Vaughn
    Ouch! Vaughn, we've all been caught not paying attention. I count it a win if all I lose is a little cash.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 05-14-2005 at 7:28 AM.
    Dennis

I've heard to many sad stories soooo I don't E-bay.

How ever I have picked up some fair clamps from HF.

On HF's light weight F style clamps you have to watch to make sure the fixed end clamp pad is square to the bar.

I have their light duty aluminum tube clamps style bar clamps & they work well.

I also have their 3/4" pipe clamps & they work well.

Their quick acting clamps similar to Irwin clamps have a tendency to break.

I will buy more wood before I'll ever be able to afford the fancy Bessy's or Jorgies.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

..... and what a wonderful thought as a wedding gift for your wife's ex-boyfriend...that sure tops most of what I have thought up....
    Semper Fi

Sorry you fell for that. I have been successful on ebay since 1998. I have never had a problem past the one guy that forgot to tape down the platter on the vintage turntable I bought. I did get my money back, btw.

Not getting cheated is easy if you know the signs to watch for. Since we've been on there so long, we know 'em. Most of them are common sense, but there's also a large amount of them that require some footwork to flush out.

Basically I can tell ya that if you think it's too good of a deal, don't bid on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly C. Hanna

Not getting cheated is easy if you know the signs to watch for. Since we've been on there so long, we know 'em. Most of them are common sense, but there's also a large amount of them that require some footwork to flush out.

Yeppers, I've been eBaying pretty regularly for quite a few years, and with the exception of this one deal, I've not had anything to complain about. I've bought a fair amount of computer and audio gear, as well as odds and ends like cell phone faceplates. I'm usually real good about knowing what I'm getting into before I bid on something, but in this one case I wasn't watching close enough when I paid for the auction. I have nobody but myself to blame for the clamp overcharge. My knee is still twisted from kicking myself repeatedly after that one.

- Vaughn

Clamps!

Ron,
    EVERYONE is or was "clamp challenged". A few months ago, I was at the local box store with my adult son and started to browse the clamp rack. "Dad, you've got ENOUGH clamps!". "Kev", said I, "If you have enough clamps you are either dead or you need more projects". A guy about my age who was listening just about split a gut laughing. I knew right away that he was a woodworker.

On the other hand, since I bought my Kreig Pocket Hole System, my clamp inventory has become much more satisfactory. It's much more convenient also - especially in a small shop. Just a thought!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Funny you mention this as I just was looking at ebay last night for clamps and found the same situation. Another item that is just as bad is Drill Bit Sets!! Check them out. 115 piece set for 14.99, 24.95 shipping. Crazy!!

Corey

I predict the ex-boyfriend line will become a classic.

I bought some double A Jinching batteries at trade day, black and copper. Chinese duracell is what they looked like. I thought at 50 cents for 10, how bad could they be? I did not think I was getting duracell, but I did not expect to be able to squish the batteries between my fingers either. Don't bother trying to check the voltage, that will drain them too quick.