27 25.96%
  • Sometimes gas, sometimes Charcoal.

16 15.38%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas or Charcoal

Gas or Charcoal

Spring is here. (or almost)

When cooking out, what do you use?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Most of the time gas as the wife starts cooking before I get home from work but on the weekend if I'm gonna cook ribs or a brisket I'll light the smoker.

I never have enough time for charcoal, so it is gas for us.

I have a Weber performa, which has a small propane burner that you use to light the charcoal. When used with a chimney, the coals are ready in about ten minutes -- fifteen at the outside. I love it.

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Gas. Our Weber Genesis gets a workout all except for a couple of the coldest winter months. The Webers are great!

Usually wood, sometimes charcoal. With one of the chimney starters, it's super easy to get it going.

I have two gas grills, one for home and one for my motorhome. The last time I tried charcoal last fall the stuff wouldn't even stay lit. I think the charcoal had absorbed moisture as the open bag had been in the bay of my motorhome for two or three years. After an hour or two, the coals were finally ready, but we had long given up and used the gas grill instead.

Charcoal for grilling. Charcoal and chunks of wood for bbqing. Weber cubes and chimney starter to get things going.

Blog Entries
    Charcoal always. I think it tastes better. A little more work, but...
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I'm cooking with gas baby!

Gas at home. When we had our camper we used charcoal. We'd buy the smallest bags for exactly the reason Brian mentioned. Or, I'd take a huge box of cutoffs and we'd use those for campfires. Maybe it was wishful thinking but I'd burn a bunch of cherry, maple, or oak and build bed of coals and cook over that and thought that was better yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    Usually wood, sometimes charcoal. With one of the chimney starters, it's super easy to get it going.
    That's it! I use both. Gas exclusively in the winter and a mixture of both in warmer weather. With a chimney starter it is not any more work with charcoal. Fill with coals, light, have two beers and slap the steaks on. Who am I kidding - it is a touch more work but the results are worth it. I think the main pain is waiting for the coals to burn out.

I cannot wait to smoke some ribs. I can get 6 racks on my Webber. 6 - 8 hours and heaven. I am actually thinking about making my Webber kettle temperature controled. It costs ~$100 but a couple of (semi) uninterrupted games of cornhole are worth it. I cannot wait (did I say that already?).

Gas, because of speed.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Gas, because of speed.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA
    Same here - convenience.

Nothing beats charcoal for flavor.
    Gas simply doesn't get hot enough w/good even heat.

Having said that......I use gas nearly all the time.
    It's more convienient..
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon