Thread: One-Time wood Protector - Watco Exterior

One-Time wood Protector - Watco Exterior

Has anyone used this product? One-Time Wood Protector? It all sounds too good to be true...

I've got a exterior door with an oak threshold (in retrospect I should have used mahogany). Anyway the threshold gets a lot of sun and weather. Originally I used spar varnish. This only lasted about 3 years before starting to look pretty rough. I need to recoat it, and came across this "One-Time Wood protector" supposedly lasts 7 years.

I've also seen this Watco Exterior oil. I've been very pleased with Watco finishes on furniture, but was not sure about this version of their product.

I'm looking for some unbiased reviews...or suggestions of an alternative to spar urethane. That stuff is a pain in the butt to use, and I have not found great results with it. They are ok, but don't quite match the effort required in applying it.

Thanks for any tips/reviews...

I have never ever found a satisfying exterior finish - especially in a clear coat. Even the "onetime" you write about is only good for 7 years and I bet that is under less than extreme conditions. My go too exterior finish therefore are the penetrating oils that I know I will need to reapply every spring or 2 but that are as easy to apply as washing the woodwork with a damp cloth. I use Watco exterior and some Amazon Teak oil type finishes mostly. Like I said, I expect to need to recoat once in a while and both of these go on easily with a brush or rag - just be certain to properly dispose of your soaked rags.

My favorite trick to adding many years of life to the legs of tables or chairs or door bottoms or thresholds is to apply a liberal/saturating coat or 2 of a 2 part epoxy to any exposed end grain or surfaces such as door bottoms which get the worst of damp conditions. Do that before applying any other finish. It works! Can't say that about any other exterior finish I have tried, seen, or read about.

Perhaps others will have better reports.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

For a better exterior clear finish, the first thing to do is to absolutely avoid any of the so called urethane "spar" varnishes that you see in a big box. Urethane is attacked by the UV in sunlight and rather quickly begins to become cloudy and more yellow. Then it begins to crack and peel leading the it losing all its protective qualities. If you want to use an exterior varnish go to a real marine supply store or marina and get a good non-poly marine exterior varnish. Look for brands like Interlux, Pettit and, best of all, Epifanes. Follow the directions on the label and you will end up with long lasting protection. But, no outdoor finish lasts forever. Even with the best it will eventually begin to yellow and need to be scuff sanded and new coat or two applied.

Another option is to use a untinted oil based exterior house trim paint. The following is the info about this finish:

http://www.hardwoodlumberandmore.com...ar-Finish.aspx
    Howie.........

Sam - that Watco exterior, does it go on just as easily as the regular interior watco? I've loved that stuff for the look on furniture, and for it's ease of application.

Howie - Wow, I just read that link. Quite interesting that paint bases will dry clear.

I think I am just looking for something to protect the door. I don't mind re-applying every year, as long as I don't have to heavily sand etc. which sounds like Watco could do it.

Yup - Watco in or out is as easy as wiping.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge