Thread: Loading Unisaw in Truck

Loading Unisaw in Truck

This week I will be loading up my Unisaw with 52" professional fence and an attached outfeed table into the bed of my F150. It sits on the mobile base if that makes a difference. Any ideas on how to load this beast into the bed of the truck? I am on flat surfaces.

Remove the outfeed table and the fence tails. Put a sheet of plywood on the truck bed. Roll the saw up close to the truck and roll it over onto the table (Use extra hands)---upside down.

Tablesaws are top-heavy when upright. They travel better upside-down. My .02

+1
    flip them upside-down, piece of cake, after you have done it one or thrice
    Carpe Lignum

i just moved mine out in one piece but it was mounted on a door with castersbuild1LR.jpgbuild2LR.jpgbuild4LR.jpgbuild5LR.jpgbuild6LR.jpgbuddy had a winch
    here is why it leftbuild7LR.jpg

I just move my entire shop to a whole new building about 3 miles away - the best, simplest, easiest and by far the safest way to do it is to rent a truck with a lift gate. It took less than an hour to load and strap down a table saw, jointer, surface planer, bandsaw, drill press and lathe. I never could have done it by myself without the lift gate.

+1 on what Jerry said. I did the same when I brought my Unisaw home. You can make it slightly easier to handle if you take the top off. Unfortunately that will require more quality time with a rubber mallet and dial indicator once at the saws new home.
    Duc in altum!

I recently sold a General 350 TS to a guy who came to pick it up with a PU truck. Took the 52" fence and extension table off. I had a 2x8' sheet of plywood and a few 8' 2x4's. Made a ramp and blocked it with a couple pieces of scrap lumber and we were able to walk the table saw up the ramp fairly easy...
    "Your beliefs don't make you a better person...your behavior does."

Blog Entries
    I too pulled the fence and wings. Just makes it that much easier to go through the alignment when you get to where you are going.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

+1 on truck with a liftgate. if not possible, or using a van or pick up truck, upside down with wings and fence removed is safest approach. and bevel the motor to 45 degrees before moving anything. gets the center of gravity within the saw cabinet.

I was told to block the motor before flipping the saw over or trucking it around. Apparently the weight of the motor bouncing around can crack the trunnion. I shoved some shipping styrofoam from something else in there and turned the crank until the motor was against it. The motor was blocked that way when I received it new, so made sense to me.
    Jay St. Peter

Easiest way = hire someone.

Cheapest and best way to do it yourself = +1 on the upside down way. This is how I moved mine the first time. Second time I rented a trailer with ramp and my 60 year old dad and I carried all 350 pounds of it up onto and off of the ramp.

Definitely take outfeed and side tables and rails off. Takes more time but definitely prevents bad things happening to them.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Stevens View Post
    I just move my entire shop to a whole new building about 3 miles away - the best, simplest, easiest and by far the safest way to do it is to rent a truck with a lift gate. It took less than an hour to load and strap down a table saw, jointer, surface planer, bandsaw, drill press and lathe. I never could have done it by myself without the lift gate.
    I also moved my entire shop about 4 miles and I did it alone in two days at a cost of $220. I rented a "PODS" and rolled all my equipment into it. It is 4" off the ground so I built some ramps. Loaded the equipment using a hand truck for the stuff not on wheels, tied them down, the guy came and moved the PODS and I unloaded them the same way.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214