Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lenox Die Master Bi Metal Blades

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lenox Die Master Bi Metal Blades

Well, another topic here. Bandsaw blade choice comes up on all the forums a lot. As near as I can tell, I am one of the very few in the woodturning world who use this blade for cutting on my bandsaws. I read with interest, Brian Kent's problems with the Eucalyptus. So, being the curious type, I offered a trade. I sent him one of the Lenox blades, and he is sending me some eucalyptus blanks. He commented that there was a big difference in it cutting much faster than the Timberwolf blades he was using, and they cut straight.

Is there any one else out there besides me who used these blades? I did call Lenox, and they seem to think that they are well known every where. When I pointed out to them that the woodturning forums are world wide, and their name almost never comes up, they were surprised. I really think these are the best value blades out there.

robo hippy
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 04-15-2013 at 7:29 PM.

I cut blanks with a Lenox #32 Wood blade. Don't know if it's a Die Master, but it works great.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

Real life test of Lenox blade on Eucalyptus

Reed, thank you for starting this thread.

I have been using Timberwolf blades since I got the bandsaw years ago. In general, they have served me well. I had a 3/4" Timberwolf 2-3 tpi variable tooth blade, which worked well on most wood. A recent cut on some dry avocado was straight, smooth, and a nice steady feed. My problem comes with Eucalyptus, which I have posted about several times before. The first 4 pictures show the best I could do. I also added a picture of what happend when you try to split a Eucalyptus trunk. Very reactive, twisty, impossible wood.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Then I changed over to the Lenox blade that Reed so kindly sent to me. It is a Lenox Diemaster bi-metal blade, 1/2 inch, 3 tpi, .035 thick.

I sawed the same log straight, even, no binding, no pressure. I didn't even have to hold my tongue at an angle. Very soon I had a box full of straight blanks to send to Reed.

On this strange Eucalyptus, the Lenox made a world of difference. Same saw set-up. G0513X2.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've used the Diemaster for several years, won't ever go back to TW or WS.........mostly a 1/2" .035 3tpi..........(on my big saw)
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Reed, Where do you buy your lenox blades?

Reed --- What's a good source for these, Nobody carries the 3 tooth around here, only the higher tooth count ones for cutting metal. I'm assuming it's the 3 tpi hook you are using? Is this the Diemaster 2?

Best price I've found so far is about $36 each from Toolcenter.com for a 111" (14" bandsaw). I haven't ordered yet, but have been wanting to try

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I am lucky to have a guy here in town who makes them, Oregon Industrial Supply. A contractor friend, who also turns, sent me to him when I got my first bandsaw. Lenox does have a home web page, and I found it difficult to navigate, but they do have an 800 phone number. I would think they would be available in any larger metropolitan area, especially if there are band saw mills around. I think my 96 inch blades are about $28. I can't really say that I have seen a tool test on bandsaw blades. Kind of difficult to do, same piece of wood, constant feed rate, etc.

http://www.gooregonindustrial.com/

http://www.lenoxtools.com/pages/Cate...AND+SAW+BLADES

robo hippy
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 04-15-2013 at 7:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I am lucky to have a guy here in town who makes them, Oregon Industrial Supply. A contractor friend, who also turns, sent me to him when I got my first bandsaw. Lenox does have a home web page, and I found it difficult to navigate, but they do have an 800 phone number. I would think they would be available in any larger metropolitan area, especially if there are band saw mills around. I think my 96 inch blades are about $28. I can't really say that I have seen a tool test on bandsaw blades. Kind of difficult to do, same piece of wood, constant feed rate, etc.

http://www.gooregonindustrial.com/

http://www.lenoxtools.com/pages/Cate...AND+SAW+BLADES

robo hippy
    Current online price for 96" blade is $39.40 according to their website. http://www.gooregonindustrial.com/ Maybe they are cheaper in their store.

Looking at their site again, I see an address here in Spokane for Performance Saw and Supply - must be connected. Will give them a call tomorrow. The less expensive sources have a lead time of 6-7 business days prior to shipping, and that's from the east coast, so add another week for me. There is something to be said for instant gratification.

Do you have these blades resharpened when they get dull?

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 04-16-2013 at 2:11 AM.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Thanks Robo, Pal,
    You just cost me 56 bucks when I swore I wouldn't buy any more turning tools (this week).
    faust

I use Lenox blades and like them a lot. The diemaster blades are bimetal (high speed steel steel tips on carbon steel bands) and are very durable. Lenox also makes execellent carbon steel blades. Small saws will do better with thinner carbon steel blades (they are easier to tension). I have used Timberwolf blades and they cut well when new but did not last as long.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 04-15-2013 at 7:30 PM.

I would like to add a surprise I got when comparing the previous blade and the Lenox. Just using a fingernail-catch sharpness test, the Timberwolf still felt a bit sharper, even though the Lenox was cutting better. It looks like the Timberwolf is a thinner blade (.025" vs .035") and not bi-metal.

It would be interesting to know the difference in the amount of set also.
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 04-15-2013 at 6:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman View Post
    Reed --- What's a good source for these, Nobody carries the 3 tooth around here, only the higher tooth count ones for cutting metal. I'm assuming it's the 3 tpi hook you are using? Is this the Diemaster 2?

Best price I've found so far is about $36 each from Toolcenter.com for a 111" (14" bandsaw). I haven't ordered yet, but have been wanting to try

Dan
    Try http://www.woodcraftbands.com/Pricing%20page.htm ?

That said, there's also the Olsen MVP blade, which is bi-metal, but thinner, might be better suited for the 14" saws?
    Last edited by Pinwu Xu; 04-16-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinwu Xu View Post
    Try http://www.woodcraftbands.com/Pricing%20page.htm ?

That said, there's also the Olsen MVP blade, which is bi-metal, but thinner, might be better suited for the 14" saws?
    Spectrum Supply shows a Diemaster 2 1/2"-.025 4 t.p.i. One would cost me $53.90 delivered if I chose to order. I'd think a 4 t.p.i. blade would work, you'd just have to feed a little slower, give the sawdust time to clear.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Spectrum Supply shows a Diemaster 2 1/2"-.025 4 t.p.i. One would cost me $53.90 delivered if I chose to order. I'd think a 4 t.p.i. blade would work, you'd just have to feed a little slower, give the sawdust time to clear.
    I think this is where I order from... I get 3 at a time at a cost of around $100.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5