Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Track saw

Track saw

I've been trying to buy a track saw (Dewalt) for over a month and everyone is out of stock. Something about Dewalt having production issues since November. Anyone else heard of this?

I have not heard about it but I have seen that everyone is out which made me worry about them. Wasn't sure if they found problems with them or what. Toolking was offering them for like 550 with 2 55"(or so) tracks and clamps and had it on my list of goodies and went back to the site a month ago to order and out of stock. Amazon use to have a bunch of different configs as well and they're all out.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

There are a few on ebay, new or factory reconditioned with fair prices. All the usual places I checked to buy new were out of stock as you said though, might want to grab one of the ebay ones if you need it soon, if the supply is dried up they won't last long. CPO dewalt is listing one recon through amazon too, maybe that would pan out, not reflected on their site though so I would call first.

I don't think they sold very well unless they were deeply discounted. It was almost exactly a year ago they were being sold for $368 including both the 55" and 100+" tracks. They were being sold for $299 with the 55". The cordless ones were being sold for less than that even though they were supposedly higher priced. Makita had the same problem. I paid less than $300 for mine with a 55" track. Even though I eventually upgraded back to a Festool TS55, I have to say the Makita was worth more than the $300 even though my local tool dealer isn't selling much of either the Dewalt or Makita.

I ordered the kit with the 55 and the 102 inch tracks back in Feb. Lowes had the best price at $565 for the kit. It is still on back order. Customer service says it's back ordered until April 30, but I wonder if they will only say something is backordered for so long, and 4/30 represents the limit of that range. In other words, come May 1, they say June 30. Looking online, I thought it was just the tracks that are unavailable, but apparently it is the saw too?

I'm almost into the next project I need the saw for. Not sure what to do next.

Do you guys with the 102" track find it is long enough?

Are people ever happy joining two track together to make a long cut?

Nelson

If you already own a good quality circular saw, or are looking for an alternative, consider the EZ smart system from Eurekazone.

If I'm not mistaken, this product preceded most of the large retail versions.
    I own a 103" track with only the most basic of kit to run my big Porter Cable circular saw.

The best part is that the track is in two pieces, and can easily be stored when not in use.

Reconditioned Dewalt at CPO Tools http://www.reconditionedtools.com/fa...and--dewalt--1

Just my $.02 but I would steer clear of the cordless version. I bought mine piece by piece over time off eBay & at a Dewalt service center (bargain bin finds). Got it all dirt cheap that way but the problem is the batteries are hard to find and very expensive. Thanks to an internal monitoring microprocessor a pack will not function with even one bad cell, and nobody will rebuild it either. It's even hard finding defective packs because the A123 batteries inside are collected by radio control hobbiests. Of course I learned all this AFTER I bought the saw "bare tool".

BTW, Dewalt track saw is made in Czechoslavakia. I don't know if they bought a tool manufacturer, have it made for them, or what. It could easily go the way of their excellent Italian made 8.5" SCMS. Stanley Black&Decker has a bad habit of leaving their customers hanging and screwing up good tool companies.

I bought the Makita and was fairly happy with it and it is still used in a shop. I did upgrade to the Festool TS55 for personal use.

Jim,
    I bought a Festo Track Saw 10-15 years before Eurekazone claims to have invented them. In the US at that time, Festo was better known as an idustrial automation company.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 04-16-2013 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    BTW, Dewalt track saw is made in Czechoslavakia.
    Czechoslovakia? I think we've found the supply issue The source country no longer exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hatcher View Post
    Czechoslovakia? I think we've found the supply issue The source country no longer exists.
    Well, between using Czechoslavakia instead of Czech Republic and the way I spelled "industrial", I clearly needed more coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Howe View Post
    Do you guys with the 102" track find it is long enough?

Nelson
    As a reference, Festool offers a 2700 mm track. That is just over 106". You do need some decent overhang in order to safely start the saw and to make a clean cut at the end. In other words, you don't usually want to plunge the saw into the wood as that can cause the saw to move off track and slice up your guide and mess up your cut. Don't ask me how I know this (DAMHIKT).

Yes, a 106" long guide is a pain to store but I hang my on the wall horizontally with the few other guides I own just under my open shelving. It works well for me. Also keep in mind that you might want to make a non-perpendicular cut with your track saw one of these days. The corner to corner distance on a 4x8 sheet of plywood is just over 107".
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    Well, between using Czechoslavakia instead of Czech Republic and the way I spelled "industrial", I clearly needed more coffee.
    I'm thinking perhaps LESS coffee?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I have never had the longer track on my Dewalt not be long enough, but I have also never tried to cut diagonally on a sheet of plywood from one corner to the other...

If I did, then I would need to connect my long and my short tracks together using these:

http://www.dewalt.com/us/tracksaw/pr...connector.html

Why not buy a Festool Instead