Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help me identify this Atkins?

Blog Entries

help me identify this Atkins?

Below are some pictures of a 26", 9 PPI Atkins crosscut saw I recently restored. I think this is probably a #53, but it might be a 400 (probably wishful thinking!). I'm not exactly sure and I'm hoping someone can help me out.
    DSC_0128.jpgDSC_0129.jpgDSC_0131.jpgDSC_0130.jpgDSC_0132.jpgDSC_0134.jpg

This saw has the Perfection style handle and the 4 saw nut configuration that was found on both the #53 and the Atkins 400 series. I think it's probably a #53 because the fasteners are brass, not nickel plated as is typical for the 400 series.

What is confusing me is that the tote is plain without either chip carving or the embossed floral pattern that I've seen on all the other Atkins 53 models. Did Atkins make any #53 with plain totes like this?

If Atkins didn't make any 53's with plain totes then my next best guess would be a 400 but I also can't really tell what the tote wood is - it is probably apple, which was used on the number 53's, but it's dark enough it might be rosewood, which was used on the 400's. This tote doesn't have the distinctive grain "striping" I've seen with many rosewood totes, but I've also seen some rosewood totes that look pretty similar to this one -but I can't really tell!?!

Typically, I wouldn't consider the possibility this is a 400, however the degree of taper griniding on the plate is extraordinary, more typical of the 400's I've seen than a 53. Either way I'm happy, it's a nice user and I love the Perfection handles.

Any help is much appreciated!

All the best, Mike

striping

Not sure what it is, but I snapped up one like that off of ebay not long ago. An 8 tpi, and its etch is long gone, so I have no idea what it said. Like that one, it has a very drastic taper, and in the case of the example I got, it had very steep breasting.

If I had to put money on a bet, I'd say it's apple.

This is the one that I got (handle not as good of shape as yours).

Last edited by David Weaver; 04-16-2013 at 5:08 PM.

I can always tell that old rosewood they used in tool handles by the smell of exposed fresh wood, or working it. Obviously you don't want to needlessly start planing/sanding the thing just to see, but maybe you can take the handle off, and a saw a bit deeper in the slot where it's not obvious and get a whiff?

Where the nickel plated fasteners brass or steel underneath? Seems to me the nickel-plated nuts on the Disston 115 saws where brass, and I can see someone before you removing the last vestiges of nickel in an overzealous cleaning attempt.
    Last edited by Jessica Pierce-LaRose; 04-16-2013 at 5:28 PM.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post

This is the one that I got (handle not as good of shape as yours).

Damn, apparently there are still decent deals to be found on the eBay. You may have just kicked off another acquisition spree for me, Mr. Weaver. Thanks.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

And to think, I've been using two such saws, and only paid $8 + Tax from a store 2 miles awaySDC13871.jpgSDC13869.jpgSDC14626.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    Damn, apparently there are still decent deals to be found on the eBay. You may have just kicked off another acquisition spree for me, Mr. Weaver. Thanks.
    Well, it wasn't a perfect saw (or isn't), but it's a great candidate (past tense now) for a quick pickup to make an 8 point rip saw. It's a nice saw, nicer than any of the newer D8s I've had, and half as much.

I have a 1940 Van Camp Hardware catalog from Indianapolis. In it, they list a set of Atkins saws that can be purchased for hardware display. The image is not particularly clear, but it looks like these saws do not have the carved handle. Attempted images below:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sure, its a nice saw, that's for sure. But I get so confused looking it because the background has so many different brown tones. If you notice professional photographers like to use a relatively uniform grey, non-distracting background for their pictures. Nice job on the restoration though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    And to think, I've been using two such saws, and only paid $8 + Tax from a store 2 miles awaySDC13871.jpgSDC13869.jpgSDC14626.jpg

Nice score Steven,the first Saws is definitely an Atkins #53 and looks like it will clean up to be a real beauty-- congrats!

The second one has me thrown -- the overall handle shape and carving is consistent with Disston # 16, but the configuration of the saw nuts doesn't fit -- for #16 medallion would be at the bottom. Sorry, I wish I could be more help.

congrats on the score and best wishes for putting them back in working shape. As someone that lives in the "hand tool desert" of Southern California, I'm jealous of you guys in the parts of the country where beautiful, vintage hand saws like this are more common.

All the best, Mike

phen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wyatt View Post
    I have a 1940 Van Camp Hardware catalog from Indianapolis. In it, they list a set of Atkins saws that can be purchased for hardware display. The image is not particularly clear, but it looks like these saws do not have the carved handle. Attempted images below:
    Thanks a lot Mark for sharing your information. I know you are a real Atkins enthusiast and I should have guessed You would have some good references. If I'm reading the catalog correctly, I don't think any of the models listed there are #53's?

Thanks for the help! BTW, I was finally able to put the molding planes you generously sent my way back to work. Not nearly as nice as as the moldings I've seen you make, but a decent start for a beginner like me.

All the best, Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Sure, its a nice saw, that's for sure. But I get so confused looking it because the background has so many different brown tones. If you notice professional photographers like to use a relatively uniform grey, non-distracting background for their pictures. Nice job on the restoration though.
    Thanks Pat for the suggestion. I am a horrible photographer and I can use all the help I can get! Ironically, my wife is a professional photographer and and would be absolutely horrified if she saw any of the pictures I've posted! All she knows is that I occasionally borrow one of her cameras-- maybe it's time for me to get some tips!

All the best, Mike

has no idea my

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    Thanks a lot Mark for sharing your information. I know you are a real Atkins enthusiast and I should have guessed You would have some good references. If I'm reading the catalog correctly, I don't think any of the models listed there are #53's?

Thanks for the help! BTW, I was finally able to put the molding planes you generously sent my way back to work. Not nearly as nice as as the moldings I've seen you make, but a decent start for a beginner like me.

All the best, Mike
    Sir, do you dare suggest that I have some affinity for these shiny metal objects? I assure you, I have no need for these common workman's tools. Here is an Atkins #53 5 PPI rip saw from the toolbox.

The saw numbering on the saws in the set (listed below the picture) is different from the other Atkins saws listed in the catalog. For example, the #53 is on the preceding page.

Mike,
    Nice restore job.
    Maybe your saw is a No 70. That seems to be the only un-embossed applewood perfection handle with brass screws on a skewback saw in my 1919 catalog reprint.
    [Other perfection skewbacks; #53 and #68 are embossed, #400 is rosewood with nickel plated screws. All the other perfection handles are on straightback saws]

Mike, my attempt at humor was not well conveyed. I am very impressed by the array of nicely finished saw handles in the background and they distracted me. More of your nice work I a sure.

Blog Entries
    I thought the older Atkins saws did not have a design on the handle? I have a 26", 8 PT, rip, straight back, nickel hardware, no handle design. The etch is all but gone. The handle has a lambs tongue much like a Disston #7. The plate on that particular saw is worn a little thin and it needs to be sharpened. I am waiting on another 26" Atkins to get here that I won last week:

The second saw has the "sway" back and I think it is a 9 PT crosscut like Mike Allen's. I also scored an 18", 12 PT. Love those Atkins saws. Sounds like Creekers may be about to corner the market on Atkins saws. Sure would like to know where to find more info. on Atkins saws?