Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engraving Ceramic Mugs

Joel,

Thanks for posting that picture - the round ones I've used from JDS laser with a white line - these are lasering black? Good to have the two options.

cheers, dee
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dee Gallo; 04-18-2013 at 9:25 PM.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    Hmmm don't you have a problem with spillage when you try to read them ?
    They are the right way up and open at the top.Odd how the picture makes them look upsidown
    GCC new mercury II 40 watt
    Corel Draw x5 suite
    All kinds of woodworking/construction junk

Dee,

We got the sample set which includes some that are white and some that are black. I also engrave a red one with white exposed after engraving and it came out good. Sorry, forgot to take a pic before it got sent off. One thing we noted was that they are SMALL. Advertised as an 8 oz mug. I noticed in the JDS catalogue that the round one are 11 oz so in the future I may give them a try.
    New Owner April 2012
    ULS VLS 4.60 50W

Anyone know of a source for engraveable mugs other than JDS. Oddly enough, they won't sell to us because we are a store at an state university. They say they flat out don't sell to educational institutions. Not even credit card orders. I am stumped about why, they don't say--so I need to find someone else I can buy the mugs from. I've been searching through other suppliers pages, but the only blank mugs I find are for sublimation. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Our store does buy mugs that have sublimation printing on them, and customers have asked us to engrave on those--which we have with varied results. The white ones have been the easiest, and it basically removes the glaze, roughs up the ceramic, then we fill with black, and spray a sealer over that.

Thanks,
    Michelle
    Central Washington University
    Epilog Fusion 32 50W
    Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit
    Corel X7

I see some on ebay 36 mugs for I don't dare put in price or link it will get deleted or moved just go to ebay and search coffe mugs
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Could you set up a small business to do this sort of thing and order through it. get the students involved with the business end and teach them about running a small business

Michelle,

Oddly enough I had the same problem you do when I worked in the sign shop at Christopher Newport University. The reason JDS won't sell to any educational institution is that they see a conflict with their engraving companies who prefer that you should purchase their services. Since the bulk of JDS's sales are to engraving companies they decided to implement this policy and not provide any services to schools, colleges or universities.

In my case we were in a major construction program that made it necessary for us to fabricate our own signs due to the shear number required for our 1.5 billion dollar construction program. I was not, at the time , engraving for the University Book Store but that didn't make any difference.

I talked to the President of JDS several years ago about this policy, he was understanding of my position but was not willing to change their rules. I contacted Johnson's Plastics and they have been my engraving products supplier ever since, they also have an excellent dye-sublimation product line. I retired from CNU almost two years ago and I still order all of the products I need for my privately owned sign shop from Johnson's Plastics as they don't discriminate against any organization public or private.

Hope this helps......
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-08-2015 at 2:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I see some on ebay 36 mugs for I don't dare put in price or link it will get deleted or moved just go to ebay and search coffe mugs
    Bert,

The reason we don't allow links to eBay is that thousands of people would register here just to get their ebay link in our forums. If that happened it would be difficult to find a thread on laser engraving here. People will use any tactic they can to sell their wares or to promote their business, a link from a very high traffic web site is particularly valuable based solely on search engine priority so this policy benefits everyone here.

Hi all! I have had good luck with a paint called Rub'nBuff. A little bit goes a long way. I laser the surface and , as the name imply s, Rub'n buff over the surface. It comes in a wide assortment of colors and works well with ceramics.