Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sawstop over blade dust collection?

Sawstop over blade dust collection?

Looking at the specials on the sawstop PCS, one can choose either the mobile base or the over blade dust collection attachment for free until the end of the month.

I read a few years ago what seemed to be mixed reviews on the sawstop over blade DC, but that was a few years ago and there may have been product improvements so I figured I would ask again. Is their over blade DC worth the $200? Based on the tubing size it looks like it may perform best when hooked to a shop vac....is this the case?

thx

I'd get the base.

I got my saw in January. A friend sold me a base he bought and didn't use. I like the base even though I rarely move my saw. It sets the saw down flat on the floor when not mobile. Its not perfect, but it works.

The DC blade guard comes with the saw regardless. The kit they are giving away is the arm, some hose sections, and an adapter that goes on the lower dust port. I already had a 4" pipe running over my saw. I was able to scrounge fittings and hose that I had to adapt it. I think it probably flows a lot better than that long small pipe they include.

I also forgot to ask if the tube for the over blade DC will interfere with an out feed table?

I bought the dust collection and it didn't work well for me. I love the mobile base. bob

Matt indicated that the dust collection blade guard will already be included.... if so, for certain go for the base. My saw came with neither (when I bought it a year or so ago), and they had this same special; I chose the base. The dealer said something like "you know for sure that you want the base, and you may not find that you need the overhead dust collection".

Off hand, I would rather NOT have the bar, because it would be in my way. I installed a router in the extension table to the right of the blade, and the arm would be a problem.

I did, however, still purchase the over-blade dust collection used from a member here on the creek that opted for a different overhead dust collection method. I frequently trim my boards very close to the edge, and the over-head dust collection allows a lot of sawdust to be shot forward with this type of cut.

I never did use the saw with the original blade guard, so I cannot comment on that would have worked out.... but it was trivial for me to string something over-head to connect to the blade guard to collect dust.

I expect that if I really wanted better dust collection for that type of cut, I would need something that had flexible bristles (like a broom or brush) that hung down and hit the table. It might block your view of the blade. I have seen this for a CNC machine. I think that I have seen something like this for a table saw, but I cannot find a link at the moment.

I opted for the overhead dust collection. It is easy to remove it if it is in your way. I try to run with it on when I can. It can work well, but it depends on the cut you are doing. I looked at the mobile base at the dealer and while it works, I didn't like it. I bought the industrial mobilele base, since it is has 4 rotating wheels it moves around a lot easier. The bundled mobile base has two fixed wheels, so while it can move it doesn't move as easily. I had two fixed wheels on my previous TS mobile base and hated it. Guess it depends how often you intend to move the saw.

Actually what I said isn't 100% correct. The 3HP PCS comes with it. The 1.75 doesn't. IIRC, that's what you got?

I went for the overhead dust collection and the industrial mobile base. The industrial base is excellent, the overhead dust collection is OK but not as good as the setup I had previously (Sharkguard w/3" ceiling drop). I have a router table in the right wing and the bar is not really a problem, I just loosen the bolt holding the arm in place and rotate it down out of the way to use the router, the hex wrench for this lives on the saw. One thing I really like about the base is that it's easy to rotate the saw 90 degrees, which I routinely do to use the router or crosscut long pieces. (I have a Jessum sliding table and am space challenged). I don't think this would work as well w/the standard base. One thing to keep in mind is the base or dust collection won't come w/the saw, you'll need to file out a form & send it in. They shipped it promptly, but it would mean waiting a few days if you want to install the base before assembling the saw (wings, rails, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lutz View Post
    I opted for the overhead dust collection. It is easy to remove it if it is in your way. I try to run with it on when I can. It can work well, but it depends on the cut you are doing. I looked at the mobile base at the dealer and while it works, I didn't like it. I bought the industrial mobilele base, since it is has 4 rotating wheels it moves around a lot easier. The bundled mobile base has two fixed wheels, so while it can move it doesn't move as easily. I had two fixed wheels on my previous TS mobile base and hated it. Guess it depends how often you intend to move the saw.
    I've come to HATE all mobile bases (built-in or external or whatever) that don't have 4 freely spinning/rotating wheels. In my 2-car garage, it just isn't mobile enough. I just spent a fair amount of time, effort, and money to build my own mobile base with 4 fully free moving casters for my 1/2 ton MM jointer/planer. It is now an absolute JOY to move that mini aircraft carrier around my shop and I'm now going to slowly upgrade/replace all my tool's mobility mechanisms. I think it'll be the key to getting better arrangements of my equipment.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

When I had my Jet Contractor saw w/ CI wings, I installed a HTC mobile base under it. This had (3) wheels, (2) stationary and (1) which swiveled. Lock the fence down, grab the handle and go. It was very maneuverable in a 2 car garage and after using, I would slide it into a space with less than a inch on both sides. I feel the single swivel was the key to this, might be worth looking into.
    Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I've come to HATE all mobile bases (built-in or external or whatever) that don't have 4 freely spinning/rotating wheels. In my 2-car garage, it just isn't mobile enough. I just spent a fair amount of time, effort, and money to build my own mobile base with 4 fully free moving casters for my 1/2 ton MM jointer/planer. It is now an absolute JOY to move that mini aircraft carrier around my shop and I'm now going to slowly upgrade/replace all my tool's mobility mechanisms. I think it'll be the key to getting better arrangements of my equipment.

i have a sawstop, i didn't like the blade guard dust collection, I wanted one that I could quickly and easily move up out of the way, not one that was attached to the riving knife. it wasn't bad, but I felt like it was in my way for the particular cuts i make.

i did some research, decided on an excalibur overhead blade guard dust collector. just got it today. plan on getting it set up over the next week. who knows, it may not be any better for my particular type of workflow, but it's worth a shot. if it doesn't fit my needs, you'll see a slightly used excalibur on the classifieds in a few weeks.

let me know if you want feedback on the pro's/con's of that setup as I go through it and then do some initial testing in the next few weeks.

I love the Industrial Mobile Base. It allows for easy movement of the PCS saw by pumping up the hydraulic cylinder and then sits down firmly on the floor.

Craig,
    I would be interested in some feedback on the Excalibur OH Blade guard...

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Behnke View Post
    i have a sawstop, i didn't like the blade guard dust collection, I wanted one that I could quickly and easily move up out of the way, not one that was attached to the riving knife. it wasn't bad, but I felt like it was in my way for the particular cuts i make.

i did some research, decided on an excalibur overhead blade guard dust collector. just got it today. plan on getting it set up over the next week. who knows, it may not be any better for my particular type of workflow, but it's worth a shot. if it doesn't fit my needs, you'll see a slightly used excalibur on the classifieds in a few weeks.

let me know if you want feedback on the pro's/con's of that setup as I go through it and then do some initial testing in the next few weeks.
    "Your beliefs don't make you a better person...your behavior does."

Blog Entries
    I had pre-judged the overarm to be "no good" but, have no need of a mobile base on a tablesaw so I took the guard. I even started to run a larger hose over to "fix" the inadequacies of the design. Then I thought, what the heck, may as well try it out as it installs in about 5 minutes. With my 2HP cyclone it works as well as my previous 3" hose'd hood. The long run of 1-1/4" hose (it does not interfere with my outfeed) does lessen the flow but, attached to their hood it does surprisingly well. What you do, how you do it, what you use for DC and even the blade you choose can affect above the table collection but, I was quite pleasantly surprised . . . and I'm a hard sell.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I like the dust collection. I added a down draft sanding table that let's me connect my sander to the overhead, and use the throat plate for the down draft. It's handy.
    003.jpg
    Also, the steel tubing can easily be rotated down behind the saw and out of the way (with a tight but not too tight installation). I do that when using the router table I built into the wing.

Bill