Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's your favorite saw maker?

Blog Entries

Who's your favorite saw maker?

Present day artisans, not antiques.

I'm a Bad Axe fanboy, but I'm sure there are other worthy saw makers out there that I'm unaware of who deserve a mention. So, bring them on - who is your favorite. (If you can narrow it down to only one.)
    - Mike

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Mike Wenzloff.

Well, for me, it's Ron Bontz!
    Maurice

Isaac Smith

Isaac Smith (Blackburn Tools) is doing some very impressive work. Just recently received this saw. Not only does it look fantastic it functions quite remarkably as well.

Ron

If we aren't talking people who are marketing their saws George Wilson. His work and posts about his and others saws inspired me to make a couple of my own showed me how to make them look good.

If we are talking about people selling saws. Mike Wenzloff... He's got a nice variety of old designs and his prices remain very competitive. I also like that he has been selling parts for so cheap for so long. When he gets caught back up after what I gather was a rough year or so, I will be the first in line to order his folded saw backs.

- I quite like the Gramercy designs as well, in looks and on paper anyway, I haven't actually used them though.

- The LNs remain a lot of bang for buck in terms of traditional saw designs and I must admit I'm pretty stoked that they are now offering canted plates.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    Mike Wenzloff.
    +1 for Mike
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

My favorites to use day in and out are the Gramercy offerings.

Our very own Ron Bontz gets my vote.

(My money, too.)

I haven't owned many modern saws, but I really like my Wenzloff half-back. I also really like my Gramercy dovetail saw and my LN thin plate. I probably should try some other makers.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Mike Wenzloff makes a terrific saw. I own 3 of them, and they are all excellent.

I have often wanted to purchase a saw from Bad Axe, but everytime I look into it, the wait is very long, and the price keeps going up and up and up......

Good for him, but not so good for woodworker who already owns 10 saws, and has put 3 kids through college recently.....

Wah, wah wah wah wah........

I also am impressed by the work of Ron Bontz. One of these days......
    Last edited by Jeff Heath; 04-18-2013 at 5:59 PM.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Heath View Post
    Wah, wah wah wah wah........
    I know - I have a similar problem. Every year, my view of the ocean is blocked by my yacht.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Jim Matthews;2098669]I know - I have a similar problem. Every year, my view of the ocean is blocked by my yacht.[/QUOTE]

Hysterical!

We are lucky to have so many outstanding saw makers working today. I fully agree with all of those already mentioned above. I have to say this list wouldn't be complete without including Two Lawyers Saw works - the saws Klaus and Pedder are making make my jaw drop -- truly functional art!

All the best, Mike

the saws Clouston patter are making and two lawyers saw works

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    My favorites to use day in and out are the Gramercy offerings.

+1. The Gramercy saws are very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I know - I have a similar problem. Every year, my view of the ocean is blocked by my yacht.
    Hey Guys,

I have to say that I think Mark is being treated a little unkindly. His wait is approx. 7-9 weeks right now but that is also for every saw that he carries in his inventory. Klaus and Pedder make fantastic saws but due to a horrible situations Klaus is SO allergic to wood that as of this moment they can ONLY produce their gents saw. Mike also makes incredible saws but due to his health issues he is still trying to clear a TWO YEAR backlog. I am immensely impressed with Isaac's saws and if Ron Brese compares them to Andrew Lunn's saws, they may be the best out there but I have three of his saws on order and Isaac told me that it will be a three month wait. I apologize as I am not at all familiar with Ron Bontz's saws nor with the time it takes him to make them, they sound great and I obviously need to order at least one. I also have several LN, Gramercy, LV, Adria and LV and they are all wonderful saws. In addition I have some wonderful older panel saws from Daryl Weir and Eric.

What I am saying is that yes, you can usually order a production saw from LN, Gramercy, LV and Adria and have them delivered very quickly but they are mass produced and there is a difference. Right now, if you want a hand built saw with commensurate sharpening and a very large choice of sizes and the ability to choose from several styles of hardbacks, types of nuts, types of wood for the handles it appears to me that no one is actually FASTER than Bad Axe. I just looked at Ron's site and he too has beautiful saws and choices. However his lead time appears to be the same if not longer than Mark's with very similar prices dependent upon how basic or customized you want your saw. I am very excited about ordering from Ron but please be fair.

The vast majority of you do not know me and you will read the above as me being a collector and not a user. You would be wrong. I build furniture and I use every tool I own. I just do no use them all on a daily basis. Back at the 2009 WIA in Valley Forge it appeared to me that we were in another golden age of hand tool makers. I made a vow back then that I would do what I could to support these makers. It seemed to me that I could do this in three different ways. I could write about them which is my weakest area. I could speak to other woodworkers about them and finally I could purchase and use them. Frankly, I have far too many tools and at times it really bothers me but I believe in these guys and whether they are saw makers, plane makers, chisel makers, marking knives, marking gauges, etc., I do what I can. The only thing that makes me despair are nights like tonight when I find that I am missing great tool makers like Ron Bontz and Jeff Heath.

Thank you for reading this and please go back and give Mark his due. Please understand that I would write this exact same thing if I thought Isaac, Ron Brese, Raney, Dave Jeske, etc. were also being taking to task unfairly. Fred West

I can't fault mark, either. When you make a few saws and start counting your hours, if you don't start making broad compromises, you find that it takes a lot of time to just to make the saws (let alone all of the other stuff).

That's one of the reasons I admire Mike the most, he always has had an eye toward trying to reduce the price of his saws so that more people could use them, but without making them cheap.

I don't buy new saws or planes from folks, but I do buy parts. I've bought a lot of parts from mike and a few from ron brese and they've all made excellent tools.