Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who's your favorite saw maker?

Blog Entries
    Although I'm not noted for being patient, I found the wait from Mark reasonable for a couple of custom saws with a number of non-standard options. When I ordered them he was advising an 8 - 10 week wait. I actually was cutting wood in 6 1/2 weeks from the evening I pushed the PayPay button. I think Mark, being a savvy guy, tends to under promise and over deliver.
    - Mike

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Blog Entries
    A big thank you to everyone who has replied. You have introduced me to some interesting saw makers I might not otherwise have ever known about.

I'm planning on ordering a new dovetail saw soon and now have some really good choices. At the moment I'm leaning towards Blackburn, who wasn't on my previous shortlist.

Thanks again.
    - Mike

It depends on your definition of "artisan" and what saw you are looking for. If it can include saws not for sale I'd vote for Bob Rozaieski because he freely shares information on his sources and techniques such that any of us can make our own dovetail saw from a scrap of wood and a couple items from the home improvement store. If artisan means a quality tool maker with long wait lists and a wide variety of tools to choose from I'd say Wenzloff. If artisan can include a quality tool maker with a wide variety of quality saws that any one of us can order and have on our hands with minimal wait then Lie-Nielsen is head and shoulders above the rest. Case in point, I want a high quality 20" panel saw and would like to have it in hand in under a few months so none of the previously mentioned saw makers can help me, only Lie-Nielsen can.

I will speak up for Mark and happily call myself one of his fan boys as well! I have had the good fortune to try a few other premium saws from other makers, and while there is no denying that they are all great tools, Marks saws just speak to me differently. Every time I pick one up and go to work it puts a smile on my face and I am happy. I now have 4 of his saws and will probably add another couple as time goes on. I can't wait for the day he starts to build panel saws! My wife disagrees though, I am sure... lol

Fred

Just to be clear, I wasn't taking Mark at Bad Axe to task at all. I have never heard anything but great things from him. Most of my saws are Disston's that I have reconditioned and re-filed myself. When I was in the market and had the cash set aside to purchase a couple of new saws about 18 months ago, I was making my choice between Mike Wenzloff and Bad Axe Saws. I called Mark, and he told me 3 months. Lee Valley had the 3 saws I wanted, made by Mike, in stock, and I had them in 4 days.

If Mark had saws available at the time, I would have split the order between them, for sure.

I also agree with you that we are in a golden age of hand tools, and I hope that everybody else feels the same way you do, that we need to support the small toolmakers. I feel strongly about this, as I am one of them, making wooden hand planes for sale because a lot of woodworkers didn't want to wait 2 years to get planes from Clark and Williams (now Old Street Tool). Now, Larry isn't even taking orders anymore, so hopefully I'm filling a niche need. That's the plan, anyway.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Meliza View Post
    It depends on your definition of "artisan" and what saw you are looking for. If it can include saws not for sale I'd vote for Bob Rozaieski because he freely shares information on his sources and techniques such that any of us can make our own dovetail saw from a scrap of wood and a couple items from the home improvement store. If artisan means a quality tool maker with long wait lists and a wide variety of tools to choose from I'd say Wenzloff. If artisan can include a quality tool maker with a wide variety of quality saws that any one of us can order and have on our hands with minimal wait then Lie-Nielsen is head and shoulders above the rest. Case in point, I want a high quality 20" panel saw and would like to have it in hand in under a few months so none of the previously mentioned saw makers can help me, only Lie-Nielsen can.
    I was looking for people who make saws for sale and offer a good selection. I suppose Lie Neilsen qualifies, since they certainly make high quality saws. In fact, I have two of them and consider them an excellent saw at a decent price. But, I find them less pleasing to use than my Bad Axe saws. Like Bob Blakeborough, I just find Mark's saws a joy to use. I expect from other comments that many of the people here feel the same way about the saws they purchased from Mark's competitors that I'm learning about in this thread. Mark also allows a very high degree of customization, both functional and cosmetic. With my 14" sash saw I had to select the type of filing, pitch, plate thickness, back material & finish, handle wood, handle size and fastener style & finish from drop-down menus when I placed the order. With all the different options, Mark could make 21,600 sash saws without a duplicate. As if that isn't enough, he'll customer file it to other pitches that aren't on the menu or make the handle out of any wood you desire (and supply). Lie-Neilsen offers two choices in a 14" back saw, rip or cross-cut.

For your 20" panel saw, Lie-Neisen seems to be your only choice for a quality new saw. Mike's website for Disston style panel saws hasn't been functional for a long time, and his illness has unfortunately made him unavailable for a while. You can find plenty of nice original cross-cut Disstons in 20", I have a couple myself, but a 20" rip is very scarce. So much so that I've been contemplating buying a Lie-Neilsen.
    - Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bob blakeborough View Post
    I will speak up for Mark and happily call myself one of his fan boys as well!
    . . . [snip] . . .
    I can't wait for the day he starts to build panel saws! My wife disagrees though, I am sure... lol
    Put me on that waiting list too!
    - Mike

Hey Mike,

I just picked up several Disston, an E.C. Atkins and a couple of Wheeler, Madden & Clemson panel saws from 18" to 28". Some I got from Eric Gude and some from Daryl Weir but all you have to do is ask one of these guys to change the configuration over to rip if that is what you want. By the way, Mark will also do the same. Nothing wrong with LN panel saws but you are by no means trapped in your search for 20" panels.

Take care,

Fred

PS Speaking of great backsaws. Have any of you tried Mark's Beastmaster? It was made specifically to cut out the five inch deep tenons on the French Roubo bench. ) It works incredibly well. )

Blog Entries
    I like restored from classic Atkins, Disston #9 & #12 saws. My favorite recently made saws would be the two backsaws I have from Tools for Working Wood. The Gramercy Sash Saw is just a whole other sawing experience. I like my Wenzloff half backsaw, made from a kit, too.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 04-23-2013 at 12:56 AM.

Henry Disston

Someone copying your product is the highest from of flattery.

Ed Looney
    Last edited by Ed Looney; 04-23-2013 at 12:05 AM.
    Some claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.

William F, Buckley, Jr.

I also am lucky enough to have a few each of Bad Axe, Wenzloff, and Blackburn. All excellent saws, all beautifully made -- I love each one. I have to say, though, that the 2 that Isaac from Blackburn made for me this past December are without question my all-time favorites. I can't imagine better saws.

Juntaro Mitsukawa

I have a Wenzloff, Lie Nielsen, Guykucho and Juntaro Mitsukawa.

All are good saws .. I reach for the Mitsukawa ..

Blog Entries
    If we want to consider bowsaws too, Glenn at Woodjoy makes some fine tools. I am about to order a 400 mm jigging saw. I want something a little larger than the Gramercy 12" bowsaw. I think the Turbo japanese blades overcome the problem of finding a good blade for a bowsaw. I believe Tools for Working Wood/Gramercy overcame this issue by having blades made specifically for their small saw.