Thread: 30 Straight days of hard core production with my Shenhui

30 Straight days of hard core production with my Shenhui

On March 18th (how do I remember the exact day you ask, simple my brain still hurt from the green beer) I walked into my garage and said:

Me: So Lenny (that's my lasers name (Why did I name my laser? So I would have something to put on his name tag of course)), rumor around town is that you're pretty tough

Lenny: Tougher than you... Punk.

Me: Oh yeah!?!

Lenny: Yeah! Punk!

Me: Ok, we'll see...

Since then Lenny has had a steady diet of 1/8 MDF for 10+ per day (that's actual laser firing time) Monday thru Friday, and 8+ hour on Saturdays and Sundays. Other than some routine cleaning I haven't had to do any other maintenance and haven't had any issues (other than the one I caused by myself with the chiller) and he's still cutting / engraving away. I on the other hand have about had it, and will be taking this Sunday off.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not looking to start a who's laser is better than who's thread. I just want anyone who is considering the purchase of a Shenhui what they are capable of under real world production situation.
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI
    LIAOCHENG RAY FINE RF-6040-90W RECI
    Corel X5 Technical Suite, Windows 7

Walt,

I'm just curious (not noisy) but what type of work are you doing running the laser 10 hours a day.
    Pictures please.
    Larry Folk

LEF Architects, LLC
    The Historic Model Aircraft Company
    Epilog 24x12 75 watt
    Roland GX-24
    Corel X4
    MicroStation CADD Software
    Rhino w/T-Splines
    SketchUp 8 Pro

Lenny the laser, I picture some sort of claymation cartoon along the lines of bob the builder Are you getting caught up yet? Or do you still have a ways to go?
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

Should be ready for a new boob tube in about 30 more days.......
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Folk View Post
    Walt,

I'm just curious (not noisy) but what type of work are you doing running the laser 10 hours a day.
    Pictures please.
    I don't consider that noisy at all, I have nothing to hide and there isn't much I wont share. I did a kickstarter and I'm fulfilling the pledges as well as prototyping new desings for the next KS. You can see what I did at kickstarterDOTcom search for Impudent Mortal and you'll find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hillmann View Post
    Are you getting caught up yet? Or do you still have a ways to go?
    Oh... of course not. I'm figuring another 6 weeks at the current pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sipes View Post
    Should be ready for a new boob tube in about 30 more days.......
    ???
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI

I am curious on Return of investment.... A new tube after 2 months of hard work? I run both my Epilog lasers for 10 hours m-f, sat 14 hours and sunday 12 hours during 7 months off season come summer 14 hours 7 days a week for 5 months,I replace my tube every 3+ years at $1200.00 per machine, so about 4300 hours a year so i get about 12,000+ hours of run time so about .10 cents an hour for tube life. how does that compare to the chinese lasers.

Again I agree with Walt this is not a laser debate mine is better than yours but in real world we also need to know our cost for maintenance and up keep.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Matheny View Post
    I am curious on Return of investment.... A new tube after 2 months of hard work? I run both my Epilog lasers for 10 hours m-f, sat 14 hours and sunday 12 hours during 7 months off season come summer 14 hours 7 days a week for 5 months,I replace my tube every 3+ years at $1200.00 per machine, so about 4300 hours a year so i get about 12,000+ hours of run time so about .10 cents an hour for tube life. how does that compare to the chinese lasers.
    Yeah that why I quoted Mark I didn't understand his comment. My tube is fine and will continue to be fine for many many more hours. However whenever it does die I'll let you know
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI