Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Major Gloat(s)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Major Gloat(s)

Well, my bride and I finally found a place that she and I would like to call home. It is an older place with a little bit of property and and wonderful outbuilding that will get me out of the 6'4" basement shop (I am 6'3") so it is a bit cramped. I thought I would post a couple pictures of the new shop space and see what the wonderful gang here thought The shop already has a sub-panel and water to it. The space is 30X30. with doubled flooring running in opposite directions (over 1 1/2" thick) and I have already had an structural engineer out to look it over and I am at less than 28% of load, including tools I don't even own (or not sure I will....)

The plans are to use spay in foam insulation and to sheath the walls with plywood or OSB. I already have plans on upgrading the electrical service to the house and up-ing the juice to the shop (100 amps at the least, maybe 200.) We are planning to put in radiant hot water heat and to also run central air (gets a bit humid here in the Summer.) It has some very neat tilt in windows that were spec'd with the building, but those may (probably) get replaced to zip up the building. I lucked out and the building already has a chimney for the boiler. I also plan to replace the side door with a prefab insulated unit that will also look like an old barn door (darn it is expensive to find stuff that looks old and cheap!!!!)

I will post pictures of the progress of the build out of the shop. FWIW, I plan to use a forklift to get my machinery up on the second floor.

Also attached is another gloat, a picture of my new "lawn mower" that I am certain will get a real workout on the property. I have already fallen in love with it.

What do you think?

Robert
    Attached Images Attached Images

I hate you. No, not really, but your space IS twice what i have. I see your drill press is marking it's turf.
    Maurice

Robert -

I hate you, too! I'm guessing there is a house somewhere on the property also. But you have priorities.

Congrats on the new place. Looks like a great setup. Is there a trap door or other sort of lift to get the heavy items up to the shop? I see a door in the end of the building, but no I-beam. Maybe it is there, but doesn't show up in the picture.

Congratulations,
    Ted

That looks like it will make a great shop. Always some what of a concern with the second floor, but its never perfect, is it? Best of luck!!

Richard

Second floor

The double doors to the outside are exactly 10 feet off the deck. So, if I back my truck up beside the building and stand a 4X8 sheet of plywood up on the 8 foot side, it is not too bad to haul up (unless it is a full sheet of MDF...). I also plan to put in some sort of electric winch to bring stuff up and more importantly, get finished pieces down.

The amount of natural light in the space is amazing! I have a ton of T-8 fixtures from being in such a short basement shop, so this is going to be easy to light.

Thanks,

Robert

Robert,
    That look like wonderful space. Any chance for an opening skylight to let the steam out in the Summer?
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    Robert,
    Any chance for an opening skylight to let the steam out in the Summer?
    Yes, that would be ideal. One on each side. They have powered ones with mini blinds sandwiched between the glass. More light and hot air out in the summer.

And I think that is a spectacular place for a shop.
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    Robert,
    That look like wonderful space. Any chance for an opening skylight to let the steam out in the Summer?
    A sky lite is a great idea to do now while you're in the initial stages. I've got a huge window that lets in so much light that I sometimes don't need overheads. The problem is it takes up a lot of valuable wall space. Sky lites will eliminate that problem and as Alan points out, help with the air flow. I doubt you ever regret that decision.
    My uncle has an shop over his garage with an elevator. You may want to think about that.

ENVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats. I want to see some great pics of what comes out of that shop soon.

Thumbs up

Robert -

I am jealous of the shop space. As for the "Lawn Mower", I have had the BX2200 (Predecessor to the BX2230) for several years, makes short work of the lawn!! And to keep this on topic, I have used the loader to haul several tools from the truck into the garage.

Ryan

Robert,
    Looks like the new shop is going to be great.I'm not a big fan of skylights. I personally would go for a vent fan. I've found that it is difficult to control the climate in a roomm with skylights. I may be biased towards no sunlight however. You've seen me, I'm nearly albino. By the way Fine Woodworking's winter 2004/2005 Tools & Shops issue has a good writeup on a second floor shop. It is worth looking at. Best of luck with the new home.
    John
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Am I envious?......NO! Not in the least......WELL......MAYBE....

Congrats! and enjoy the process!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

WOW! Nice shop and mower!

We're getting geared up for a move a few miles east, hopefully to an old home (1900-1930) with a shop...hope I do as well as you did!!!

PS....skip the OSB idea and spend the few extra dollars for plywood...you'll thank me later...
    Last edited by Kelly C. Hanna; 05-13-2005 at 7:15 PM.

Robert, great looking shop space - I think I'd work the angle that an attached garage would be far more "convenient" to park the vehicles in and that the "old, musty building" is really only fit for a shop and just take over the whole thing! BTW, I"ve got a BX2200 also and have put over 250 hours on it the last couple of years. Hands down, one of the best "tools" I've ever bought. Kubota (IMHO) is the Festool of small tractors!!

Congratulations Robert. It looks like you have a lot of fun in store for you.

I would be concerned about access to the second floor. I know that you mentioned tilting sheet goods up through the double doors, a fork lift, and a winch. How about some sort of elevator?

You say that there is a lot of natural light but it does not appear that way to me in the pictures. Like Alan, Karl, and Mark, I suggest considering some skylights. One can never have enough skylights -I put 3 into the shop that I built last year and I really wish that I had installed 4 or 5.

I am very much looking forward to progress reports.