Thread: Help finding some beginner jointery saws.

Help finding some beginner jointery saws.

I am interested in picking up a few jointery saws. I recently did a search on the bay for Dissten Back Saws that brought up a number of candidates. Would anyone have the time to look at the search results and give some feedback. First off, I'm not dedicated to Disston, I just know the name. Second, I'll primarily be using them for tenons of furniture and casework, I'd like to do a few rouboesque large tenons. A saw for smaller work such as dovetails would also be nice. I don't mind refiling teeth to get the saws I want but I want to make sure I am starting with a good plate.

Thanks again,
    Andrew
    Last edited by Andrew Nemeth; 04-20-2013 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Clarity

Blog Entries
    I remember when I was looking for good saws. I didn't know what a good saw felt like, or how it performed.

After I purchased a LN dovetail saw, I knew what a good saw was. That gave me the knowledge on how to set up old saws
    to perform well

I have since acquired several saws on line that are good.

If you would consider a LN or a LV saw, it might serve you well as you look to acquire other saws. The LV saws are modestly priced and reviews have been good. The LN saws are top performers. I have three of them. I also have several old Disstons the perform well.

Actually,the name is Disston.

The Lee Valley/Veritas saws would be an excellent choice. They are very affordable and perform extremely well.

I would also recommend the Veritas saws. For the money, they can't be beat. They will be nice and sharp and ready to go to work when you open the box. You could find vintage saws for less money, but then you have to have them cleaned and sharpened.

Thanks for the recommendations. I am tempted to go with a set from LV as they look to be an excellent value by most accounts and would get me started with a known constant. I would then have something to compare my vintage finds to.
    I was thinking about a set of the carcass sized saws. Does that seem the most appropriate for the scale of work I am describing?

Am I pretty safe going with a vintage Disston full back as long as the plate is true? Are there other makes to be looking out for?

I'm also very intrested in making a few backsaws but that will take me a while, and in the mean time...

George- thanks for the correction (original post edited for credibility)

Thanks again, Andrew

I used old Disstons for the whole time before I became toolmaker. The musical instruments and many of the tools I have posted in the FAQ section were made with Disston saws.

....would get me started with a known constant. I would then have something to compare my vintage finds to. .

I concur. You can save a lot of time and possible false starts by going this way. The Lee Valley's are just a little outside the traditional box, so they won't give you a precise analog to a Lie-Nielsen or Grammercy or other thoughtfully-made modern saw. Perhaps that's putting too fine a point on it.

I was thinking about a set of the carcass sized saws. Does that seem the most appropriate for the scale of work I am describing?
    My suggestion would be to simply get started on your easiest or most immediate project. Once you own one or a pair and you put them to real work, you'll probably have a clear notion of what you want next. The smallish dovetail saws aren't as versatile as the larger saws, if that's your question. Dovetails want rip. Shoulders and the cutoff box want crosscut. After giving it a minute's thought, I couldn't pick one over the other for the first in a starter set of saws. My set expanded to a dozen for 1) various coarseness of cut ( matching wood thicknesses) and 2) preference of a certain mass / inertia in certain woods ( impedance match ).

There are a few kits around that can get you going on home-made with a decent break in price.

I have several old disstons and several veritas and bad axe saws. For the money, the veritas saws are excellent. The carcass saws would be a great starting point.
    Paul

You can go with any of the vintage saws as long as they're straight, but getting them straight from a lot of the people who sell used tools can be tricky. You'll also need to file them, and I think (in my opinion) you really don't want to cut the first set of new teeth by hand on a saw you want to use, it'll be hassle.

I have a spear and jackson 16" saw that you might be interested in, it's an older saw with split nuts, it's fairly heavy (as in, might be good for the heavy things you want to do, like bench leg tenons), it's straight, but someone did a half job restoring the handle.

If you're interested, let me know, you're not too far away so shipping wouldn't be as big of a deal (i hate to send inexpensive saws somewhere where shipping costs half as much as the saw). It's sharp and set, I had to do some major correction in the teeth, but they're 90% of the way to perfect now and certainly good enough for use. I'm only looking for what I paid for it plus the cost of the file I blew putting the teeth where they should be ($40).

It would cover your roboesque tenon wants, and you wouldn't be out much if you sold it. It's headed to get sold on here one way or another.

P1060418.jpgP1060419.jpgP1060420.jpg
    Last edited by David Weaver; 04-20-2013 at 6:14 PM.

This is a smokin' bargain.

Big, straight and already sharp for $40?
    The S&J compares favorably to the Bad Axe and Wenzloff saws for a a fraction of the price.

Jump on this before I buy this - my saw till is already full!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    This is a smokin' bargain.

Big, straight and already sharp for $40?
    The S&J compares favorably to the Bad Axe and Wenzloff saws for a a fraction of the price.

Jump on this before I buy this - my saw till is already full!
    No kidding! That's a great offer.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

As someone who's purchased from Mr. Weaver, I can state his descriptions are spot on and he's a pleasure to do business with.

You won't regret the purchase, Andrew.

I'll take it if it becomes available.

David- The Spear and Jackson certainly looks like it may be a excellent saw for getting me started on a bench, I'll take it. (PM on it's way).

Thanks everyone for their advice,
    Andrew

Blog Entries
    David,

How do you set the teeth on fine toothed saws? I'm working on one and tried hammer set to no avail. I ended up doing a screwdriver set (Frank Klausz).