Thread: Is this really hearing protection?

Wink Is this really hearing protection?

When I'm in the shop I like to listen to music. But when the machines are running they often drown out the boombox unless it's really blasting. Then even the neighbors can hear it. So yesterday I went out and bought a pair of wireless headphones that I can hook up to the boombox. When I got them home and unpacked it and realized there was a paging function on the charging stand. Then I saw this interesting depiction of how JVC thought best to market that.

I wonder if they sell a lot of these, considering the "advantages" of the paging feature.

I was really looking at the funny cartoon that came with the headphones.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    I was really looking at the funny cartoon that came with the headphones.
    That is hilarious. That ad approach is like something from the 50's or 60's. I have an old Delta bandsaw ad that states that "its easy even for the gentler sex" to use. Bwaaa-haa-haa-haaaa.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

As I was reading the instructions I quickly realized whoever wrote them was not from the USA. The grammar was off. Then I looked at the package and saw "Made in China." Then I saw the cartoon. I guess that's what people in China think Americans can relate to. I wonder if June would have appreciated these headphones when Ward was in the backyard showing Beaver and Wally how to use a saw. Of course Ward would have a shirt and tie on but his sleeves would be rolled up.

My take on this is simple - you're not protecting your hearing, or fully engaged in your work, if you're listening to music.

None of the Isolation/Radio versions have the same degree of noise reductions my basic Peltor ear covers provide.
    When I'm doing something that requires ear protection - it's a tool that deserves my complete attention.

These are for yard work, not shop tools that can maim.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    My take on this is simple - you're not protecting your hearing, or fully engaged in your work, if you're listening to music.

None of the Isolation/Radio versions have the same degree of noise reductions my basic Peltor ear covers provide.
    When I'm doing something that requires ear protection - it's a tool that deserves my complete attention.

These are for yard work, not shop tools that can maim.
    Music is pleasant background "noise". It's not like I'm totally engrossed in the music that I will put my hand in front of a blade.

I have been reading reviews of many hearing protection/radio head sets, seems to be no universally loved brand or model.

I think I would wear hearing protection more often if it had built-in radio.