Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OMG!!! I can't believe he did this!

OMG!!! I can't believe he did this!

It is a good lesson. Thankfully he wasn't hurt!

Human beings seem to need a baseline reference for "stupid" and this guy has earned a place of honor. I've made some stupid mistakes in the shop and given my share of blood but I take some comfort from the fact that I've never repeated the same error. And I'm sure that I wouldn't 1) attempt to replicate it, 2) video it and 3) publish the video!
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 04-22-2013 at 2:05 PM.

Yeah...I've seen this before. But I could watch it a hundred times and it would still freak me out!

It is clear the demonstrator is no safety expert, just a guy trying to replicate a past incident and analyze what went wrong and to exhibit what not to do and sharing that with the woodworking community. He very well could have sustained grievous and permanent hand injury or digital amputation, but his motive was pure so I’ll give him an “A” for effort, but an “F” for execution.

- Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

The originating poster has admitted that this was a bad idea, in hindsight.

The table saw, and it's bastard step-child (the Radial arm saw) were two implements I never considered in my shop.
    I'm still on the fence about my jointer...

I've seen intentional kickbacks demonstrated with styrofoam sheet. Totally gets the point across and MUCH safer.
    Dick Mahany.

I'm glad he wasn't hurt and it would not make me feel any better calling him names

that he's already called himself.

I had an 8th grade shop teacher that taught every new class (4 a year)

how the table saw kicked back and demolished a french door, that he rebuilt 4 times

a year. Don't remember the specifics, but it was scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Edwards(2) View Post
    I'm glad he wasn't hurt and it would not make me feel any better calling him names

that he's already called himself.

I had an 8th grade shop teacher that taught every new class (4 a year)

how the table saw kicked back and demolished a french door, that he rebuilt 4 times

a year. Don't remember the specifics, but it was scary.

are this french door in France ?

He should look into a sawstop if he is going to continue these kind of demo's!!!!!!

I have a confession to make. I use the blade guard on my table saw. There I said it. I'm a woodworker and I use the blade guard on my table saw.

It only takes a minute to remove it for special situations and a minute to re-install it for everything else.

The way I see it my table saw can remove fingers in quite a bit less time but it's going to take a lot longer to get used to not having them.
    Last edited by Joe Adams; 04-21-2013 at 8:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    The originating poster has admitted that this was a bad idea, in hindsight.

The table saw, and it's bastard step-child (the Radial arm saw) were two implements I never considered in my shop.
    I'm still on the fence about my jointer...
    Current deprecated description of the radial saw is:
    The table saw, and it's "al-Qaeda-linked" step-child (the Radial arm saw)...

- Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

I love this guy. He puts his pants on one leg at a time. He's got some good reviews and other info out there on the web, real straight forward. This isn't one of those. But he sure gets the point across. That last slow motion shot makes it look like he missed amputation by millimeters. Its difficult to convey complex information, like how a kick back evolves, the feeling and sound of a board getting loose, coming back, the anxiety it causes. Thats the only video I've seen that comes close to examining the real thing, because it is unfortunately the real thing. So kudos to him for getting the point across real quick and clear. And at great personal risk. I just hope he never does a video on gun safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    I've seen intentional kickbacks demonstrated with styrofoam sheet.
    It's funny, cutting Styrofoam on a table saw would seem to be something rather benign, it isn't. You really have to keep your wits about you.

I downloaded this video to a thumb drive and it's part of my table saw safety presentation at school. It really gets their attention.