Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3/8" Bowl gouge

3/8" Bowl gouge

I'm in the market for a new 3/8" bowl gouge, I have a low end one now that's getting short, trying to decide between a D-Way or Thompson regular V flute or the Jimmy Clews signature V flute. I use a 3/8" mainly for getting into tight spots and fine tuning tenons, I use a 1/2" for initial shaping and bowl hollowing. Pricing is comparable so that's not really an issue, handles for both are also comparable. Any recommendations on either of these?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
    Albert Einstein

I use D-Way 1/2" bowl gouges for most of my work, but one of my favorite tools is my 3/8" Thompson V gouge - great for details, little curves, etc. Can't speak to the Jimmy Clewes, as I have not used it.

I'm just the opposite. I use Thompson's gouges and really like them. I have never used D-Way tools, but I know they have a good reputation. As far as the signature tools go, it is my understanding that they are the standard tools, ground the way the turner of name likes them. You can do the same thing with your own tool, and you will probably change the grind to suit your needs anyway. I'd stick with a standard tool from either of these manufacturers.

Well, you won't go wrong with either D Way or Thompson. I prefer the flutes on the Thompson a bit more than the D Way, but excellent steel, and you are buying from the guys who actually make the tools.

robo hippy

I can't speak to Thompson's tools, I use D-Way's bowl gouges - 5/8" for roughing and deep hollowing, 1/"2 for shaping and initial hollowing and a 3/8" for cleaning up tenons and detailing. I've used other gouges, but prefer the fully polished parabolic flutes of Dave's tools. Combined with the D-Way CBN wheels they hold an edge well and sharpen beautifully.

Jon, not really recommending any particular brand, just wanted to point out that the J.Clews model flute is fairly close to the bottom so if you are inclined to waste away the extra steel reducing the size of your bevel, there isn't as much there to begin with.

I love my Thompson 3/8V probably my favorite light duty tool. I works well for many things. With that being said I was told that the shape of the V is the same for the regular Thompson and the Jimmy Clews signature gouge. I have used some D-ways and they are good tools as well. I feel all of them are a good value.

Alan

I have 7 Thompson gouges and they are great tools - have never used a D-Way .
    "So much wood - So little time ! "
    Past President Western Mountain Woodturners
    Past President Maine Woodturners

Just as everyone else has there favorite I really like the 3/8" D Way & also the Glazer.

John, I have both Thompson 3/8 inch bowl gouges. If you aren't in a hurry I can bring them by the next club meeting and you can look them over. My only comment about them is compared to the 3/8-inch Sorby I have I was surprised at how small they are.

The sorby like all european gouges is measured by the width of the flute--American tools are measured by the shaft dia. Your sorby here would be a 1/2".

Blog Entries
    I hate to say it but I have a JC and I don't care for it at all, used it once and put it away. I guess I'm just a Glaser guy through & through. I just wish I had more lathe time right now. SO much flat work to do that I just don't have the time right now. Building a 3000 bottle wine cellar. Pretty sad considering I just got a new PM 4224.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

The metal in Doug's tools is fantastic. I have several including the 3/8". The question is the shape. I like my 3/8" V for light work such as removing tenons on the vacuum or tight curves. I prefer the parabolic curve Dave and Oneway use on their gouges. However, you are asking whether to buy a BMW or a Mercedes.
    faust

I have both the Thompson JC V and a D-Way 3/8". I only recently bought the D-Way with the intent of making it a bottom feeder, so I have not used it much. The Thompson is my go-to small gouge and it's big brother (1/2" JC gouge) is my main go-to gouge followed by the 5/8" Crown or Ellsworth both of which have parabolic flutes. Doug would have to chime in, but I do not believe the flutes are the same on the JC gouges and his regular gouges. They are both deeper and tighter with a smaller nose and thus clog easily, but i do most cutting up on the wings any way.

I doubt that you would be disappointed with either choice.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Thanks everyone for the input. I knew that both the Thompson and the D-way were both good choices and either would be a good choice. I'm thinking that I'll go with the Thompson regular 3/8" gouge, if for no other reason than that I already have a Thompson spindle gouge that I like and matching handles would be good for my OCD.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
    Albert Einstein