Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Out of state order request??? Question

Out of state order request??? Question

Just got an email request for a quote on 50 metal trophy cups with no lids or engraving from halfway across the country. They stated the price range that they needed to be in which would be good money and had an attachment in the email with and image of what they wanted. But I wouldn't open it for fear of a possible virus. So replied to the email and ask him to call me and got a quick response. He wants to know what payment method I take. I gave him a price on the phone but he insist I email the price to him. I hate to turn my nose up at a chance to make a thousand bucks but it sure smells like a scam. What would be the most secure payment method. If I take a card number over the phone they could cancel it after they get the cups or it could be a hot card.
    Al

40W MII W/Rotor
    Camaster Stinger III, Vectric Aspire
    Back up Vinyl cutter
    Roland 54" print/cut
    Laminator
    Strip heater
    Lasermaster 8.5, LXI Master Plus, Corel X4, Photograv, design shop pro
    Knight DC16, DK3 Mug Press, Hix HD400D, GX7000
    Embroidery
    Hot stamping

Sounds like maybe a Nigerian scam. It's normally shirts they try to order. I would have to pass.

Hi Al,
    In my limmited understanding: if you are unsure of the guy, go direct bank transfer (Bacs etc), this would be a bit more sure as long as you ensure that funds are in your account prior to shipping. It does mean giving him your acc name, branch zip code and acc number though.
    kind regards,
    John
    60w EFI 6090 & 100w Z4 Reci 6090 G Weike Lasers, 4 X 4 CNC Router
    CLTT using Oki C822dn & Adkins Press
    Glass Sandblasting, Woodwork Shop, etc...
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

Already have an uneasy feeling about this deal, would be real uneasy handing out a bank account number. The guy called me and on the caller ID the area code showed up as a Maryland number. Have to make him repeat himself 3 or 4 time to make out what he is saying. Can some one call from out of the country and make it look like originates in the states?
    Al

40W MII W/Rotor
    Back up Vinyl cutter
    Roland 54" print/cut
    Laminator
    Strip heater
    Embroidery
    Hot stamping

Pay Pal?

These usually are a scam, You should be able to scan for a Virus or Malware before opening. Get more info address etc.

If he wants to pay for more than the price and shipping, you'll know. You can also Google his info or phone number as
    that will show up a scam sometimes. How did he find you?
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Your bank info is safe to give, it's a 1 way number that only works for putting money into your account, not taking it out.

Sure, you can call from anywhere in the world and make it look like just about anything. I'd want to talk to him on the phone and I'd express my concerns.

9 out of 10 times, your gut feeling is probably dead on accurate. Just leave the door open wide enough for it to really happen if that 1 time it's wrong, you can handle the order and deal with it, safely.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Everything about that screams scam to me. I would never communicate with them, all that does is let them know they have a "live one" and you'll get more calls and emails from every scammer on the planet. The only way I would do business with them is if they brought cash to pay you, cashiers checks, money orders, credit cards, etc., can all be forged and you will be out a lot of money in the end. If you give them your account number to have money wired to you then you open yourself up to all kinds of problems when they use your account number to scam other people. You really have to ask yourself why they would contact you "from halfway across the country" for blank parts at a price that will net you "a thousand bucks"... Believe me, you are not that lucky.

Good question Martin! With that much dirt between him and me he would have had to be doing a local search search. The local chamber has that email address posted. If he had found my web site he would be using a different email address. Thanks Scott I haven't ever talked with the bank about how they handle transfers but I think it is time.
    Al

40W MII W/Rotor
    Back up Vinyl cutter
    Roland 54" print/cut
    Laminator
    Strip heater
    Embroidery
    Hot stamping

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Your bank info is safe to give, it's a 1 way number that only works for putting money into your account, not taking it out.
    It may be a 1 way number but that won't stop them from using it in other scams like forging checks.

Sure, you can call from anywhere in the world and make it look like just about anything. I'd want to talk to him on the phone and I'd express my concerns.
    you give them your phone number and you will be getting more calls from other scammers - you have just told them that you are a "live one"

9 out of 10 times, your gut feeling is probably dead on accurate.
    With the info he provided, 10 out of 10 times it will be a scam

Just leave the door open wide enough for it to really happen if that 1 time it's wrong, you can handle the order and deal with it, safely.
    Sorry, there is no safe way to deal with these (potential) scammers. Any info you give them can be used in future scams and it will probably have consequences that will affect you.

scam unknown...but

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Nix View Post
    The guy called me and on the caller ID the area code showed up as a Maryland number. Have to make him repeat himself 3 or 4 time to make out what he is saying. Can some one call from out of the country and make it look like originates in the states?
    Yes, my friend calls me all the time from Guatemala and it shows up on caller ID in the states. He uses a computer jack to make the call.

Tom "BUZZ"
    LaserBuzz

There's no way to forge a check from the number used to do a direct wire transfer.

True about the phone number, if it's a scam, you told them your number, but you've already responded via email, which means you've already told them you're a live one, and your email probably has your web address on it, which probably has your phone number, so I'm not sure you've given them anything they couldn't have gotten in 10 seconds from what you already gave them.

It might very well be a scam. Probably is. I've also had cases where they turned out to be real, when all along, I thought it was a scam. Turns out they were unhappy with local quality, went to google and found us. You just never know for sure until you ask a few questions.

There are ways to deal with them to verify they are a real business. If not, then it's easy enough to stop correspondence with them.

As mentioned, emails have already been sent back, so you've already verified you exist.

We've done work for people all over the country, so I do try and take a little time to verify it's real vs. scam. Only way to do so is to ask questions.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

An old friend of mine received a $50,000.00 shirt order one time. She was very religious and said it was a blessing that the Lord was answering her prayers! I warned her but she didn't listen. She accepted a credit card that actually went through at first. The bank said it was good. While a trucking company was there unloading the shirts to be printed, the bank called and said it was a scam. The credit card went through at first but then went south.

Thanks for all the replies, I guess it is like they say if it sounds to good to be true it usually is.
    Al

40W MII W/Rotor
    Back up Vinyl cutter
    Roland 54" print/cut
    Laminator
    Strip heater
    Embroidery
    Hot stamping

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bion View Post
    It does mean giving him your acc name, branch zip code and acc number though.
    Don't ever, under any circumstances, give someone that information... with it, they can clean house.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Call his number back and see where it goes. You can also check if his phone # is registered to a business. Kim