Thread: Big Fat Lyre

Big Fat Lyre

They say you should be careful what you ask for because you might get it. I had been wishing I could find some more of that odd burl I had and, sure enough, I came across another piece. Only this one was quite a bit smaller and had a lot of surface cracks in it. I probably could have turned them away but it would have resulted in a much smaller form and I wanted to make a bigger one. My wife likes the cracks which show as black lines because, she says, it makes it look like stone. That's OK I guess because I think it bears a remarkable resemblance to a curling stone. I figured a big fat form like this should have a big fat finial too so there it is. 9" X 12" w/ rosewood lid and finial.

BFL_1.jpg
    David DeCristoforo

very nice. the burl is amazing!
    I especially like the finial.

Yay and Woohoo!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

4. Nice, love the finial.

Really nice - glad it held together in spite of the cracks. I bet nobody tells you the finial should be thinner.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

6. Very nicely done, David..........I would like to see a better profile shot of the finial...........that wood is special!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Blog Entries
    The finial makes this one... I hope I can remember that shape come time for the next vessel that would compliment it.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Lovely and the finial has changed from a clothespin to graceful swans back to back. Your wife has good taste, at least in wood . Ok, probably husbands too.
    faust

Beautiful David! Love the form and the wood and your finial is awesome!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

David, nuttin wrong with that "Big Fat" form. I'd rather see that than a pile of shavings trying to make it narrower. I'd also like to see the finial profile........... Jerry (in Tucson)

Like everyone else I'm drawn in by the finial. Is the finial an inside-out turning?

I have only started trying hollow forms in the last few months, and while I love turning them, I have never really seen a need to try a finial. I have never seen one that I felt a great urge to try, until now. Both the form and the finial are fantastic. I find the form simple, yet it shows the beauty of the wood excellently, and the finial really blows me away. Great job.
    "a noble spirit embiggins the smallest man"

Bravo Sir!!!!! I LOVE where you have taken the finial concept!!! Amazing David! The form is equally spectacular, and the two suit each other perfectly. +1 on Woo Hoo!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein