Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow, again!

Snow, again!

It is snowing heavily here in the Minneapolis area again! They are predicting 6 to 10 inches of snow. This is getting crazy. The last time I remember getting any real snow this late in the year was about 8 years ago when we had at most two inches of snow.

The only saving grace is the weather forecast for Friday is 62 degrees, Saturday 65 degrees and sunny, and 70 degrees on Sunday.

Better you than us!

I should have mowed for the first time today since that's going to be rain when it gets here late tomorrow. Its a little short to mow, but at least we don't have much standing water.

I usually don't mow until at least May 15th here. The good news is the frost is out of the first foot or so of ground so all the moisture is soaking into the ground making up for drought last summer and fall. I don't recall mowing my lawn after August 15th last year because it was brown and not growing at all.

Shucks. That ain't bad. I remember it snowing here in June.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    I have a friend in the UP of MI, L'Anse to be exact. Yesterday they reported 28" of ice on the lake and 3 feet of snow in the yard. What a winter!

Our Winter was really mild.
    I only had to use the snow blower twice.
    It's the Spring that's been the killer w/all the crazy low temperatures!
    Thankfully though - no real snow.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Brian,

I live in the boonies up by Lake George/ Itasca State Park, and work in Bemidji. We still have at least 30 inches on the ground out in the middle of the lawn. It's melted a little and then re-froze, so the deer are all walking around on top. The last two snows were so sloppy, and with all of the mud under it, we couldn't plow or move it on our 100 yard long driveway, so we've been driving through it. It's a mess!

Looks like we missed this last one, but there is another chance for more tomorrow. In all my 55 years, I can never remember this much snow, still on the ground, this late in the spring. Looking out the window today, it looks more like January 23rd than April 23rd! It's only 19 degrees outside right now for Pete's sake!

I did the first full-yard mowing Saturday. About a week or so late for us. Really enjoyed the irony of mowing the yard while it was snowing.. Just flurries, but still..
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

We got only four inches of snow, but it is extremely heavy. I lost an oak tree due to the heavy snow because the entire top of the tree snapped off. The trunk is all that is left. If it had fallen another two feet over I would calling the insurance company about a hole in the house.

I usually go up to a Scout camp close to Bemidji, MN this time of year to do a survey for construction work needed, but I imagine it is too muddy and too much snow to go up yet.

My sympathy to all of you up there in Whoopee John land. I remember, when I lived up there, how tired everyone was of Winter by the time April rolled around.

For those unfamiliar with Whoopee John, here is a YouTube rendition of the Minneapolis Polka: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJi-8k_BvOU Maybe it will cheer you up.
    Regards,
    Dick

This cold weather is a real mess here in south Missouri. Only been around 70-72 the last couple of days and the forecast for Thursday is only 69-70. That's the day I always go to Walnut Ridge, AR. to shoot skeet. Sure hope it warms up.
    Last edited by Jim Tabor; 04-23-2013 at 10:18 AM.

It's 35ºF here right now. It is supposed to be near 80ºF by the weekend and today I will mow the yard for the 3rd time this season.

We had a mild winter. 3 weeks ago I drove into the Bitterroot Mountains east of us. There was not much snow left for this time of year. It could be a long hot fire season this summer!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-23-2013 at 2:43 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Strange weather this year. It's been in mid-80s for a couple of days but last week we had a high of 88 and it was still in the 80s around 9 PM. Next day the high was 49 and low 39. We had a frost.

I feel your pain Brian, winter has drug out just a little too long this year. 60 for the weekend sounds really nice, goodbye snow.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Its called Global Wierding according to MPR:
    http://minnesota.publicradio.org/col...er_arcti.shtml