Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-sawing Tool - The neanders friend

Re-sawing Tool - The neanders friend

Hi all. This is my first thread, and english isn't my first language, so please excuse any hick-up.

I've been wanting to show you this for a while now, as I think you might enjoy to see this tool I have made. I got the inspiration from Tom Fidgen who calls his a "kerfing Plane".
    http://www.theunpluggedwoodshop.com/...esistance.html

It's a saw plate mounted in a, sort of, plane body which has a fixed fence to kerf a track around a board, allowing him to resaw to a certain thickness. In his case for bent laminations.

I thought that was pretty handy as I do a lot of re-sawing in my shop (can't stand to waste precious wood) and always found it a bit hard to make the saw track straight. But of course I made it with a moveable fence.

So it took me a couple of days to plan and build this little "saw gauge" as I like to call it

IMG_1402.jpg
    IMG_1403.jpg

Want to see it in action?

I had a board from an old cabinet where some old Danish carpenter had glued a thin piece of oak onto some (cheap) pine to give substance without wasting too much precious wood.
    IMG_1405.jpg
    I'd wanted to free the oak from its ancient bond. So I set the "saw gauge" and tightened the wedges.
    IMG_1406.jpg

Then I easily saw the kerf around the board, making sure the fence was tight against the face. (I'm sure you have no trouble in seeing how it works)
    IMG_1407.jpg
    Then my 4 tpi rip saw goes to town, without me having to check all the time if I'm on the line or not.
    IMG_1409.jpg

Board is almost free:
    IMG_1410.jpg

Hand plane to the rescue
    IMG_1411.jpg

That's how it works. Its made from canadian elm by the way. Finished with oil and wax.
    If I didn't have one now, I would surely build it again. It saves a lot of trouble.

Hope you enjoyed

Regards
    David

Very Interesting and Informative. How long did it take you to make it?
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Blog Entries
    Interesting idea, thanks for sharing.

Hi all. This is my first thread, and english isn't my first language, so please excuse any hick-up.
    David,

For a second language, your English is better than a lot of native speakers. Must be the education system that actually educated you.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Neat idea and nice execution. Is it hard work or very easy to saw the groove? I was thinking along a similar line for a similar job. I would use the thinest cutter in a plowplane, about 3mm I guess. Of course your special tool makes an even thinner groove.

A similar tool is to be seen in the catalogue from Wertheim, an Austrian woodworking tool company. The catalogue is from 1869. Here is a link. You need to scroll through until you find it on a page with a lot of saws.
    http://pudl.princeton.edu/viewer.php...ge/16/mode/2up

Really cool. How many tpi on the saw part? Do you think a shorter saw length would work as well, or perhaps if it were breasted, so that it presented only a few teeth at a time and therefore less drag?

I have thought about making something similar for cutting tenon shoulders. I would include a depth stop on mine, something for which you have no need. Great execution!
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Very cool!

I've long thought a tool like that would be perfect for sawing the lids off boxes.

Blog Entries
    Great idea David -- I'm definitely building one of these.

Thanks for sharing!

All the best

Mike

I agree, really cool tool. It is something I really could have used for a lot of years without a bandsaw. I got pretty good at resawing by hand but still used the flip the board technique to stay on line on both edges. But I could see this tool let the saw just follow the deep kerfs and create a much quicker resaw.

I think the tool is brilliant and incredibly well executed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

For a second language, your English is better than a lot of native speakers.
    I'll echo Jim on this comment, with one exception. Around here, a "hick-up" is what we call it when 2 or more good-old boys get into a fight.

On the real subject of the thread, I think your creation looks very useful, especially for resawing.

How did you fix the blade to the tool--slots/holes and screws? Any problem with the blade moving?

Thanks
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    I have thought about making something similar for cutting tenon shoulders.
    Zach - Stephen Sheperd (Full Chisel blog) has done something along this line.
    If I recall, picture a stair saw designed to run on its side.
    AKA - "The human termite"

Thanks for posting this. It looks like something I could really use as I often cut thin strips for laminations.
    Not only a very good idea, but very well executed besides.

David,
    Your first post here is a winner !
    I have studied the heck out of this marvelous craft woodworking for more than a decade and have never come across a tool like the one you are demonstrating.
    Way to go.
    By the way this is my first reply here though I have been looking in from time to time? This is without a doubt the best hand tool forum I have found.
    Keep the posts coming.

David:

Very nice! Do you think a slightly curved blade ("breasted") would be an improvement or not?

Thanks,

Stan

15. Quote Originally Posted by David Paulsen View Post

I've been wanting to show you this for a while now, as I think you might enjoy to see this tool I have made. I got the inspiration from Tom Fidgen who calls his a "kerfing Plane".
    http://www.theunpluggedwoodshop.com/...esistance.html

It's a saw plate mounted in a, sort of, plane body which has a fixed fence to kerf a track around a board, allowing him to resaw to a certain thickness. In his case for bent laminations.

I thought that was pretty handy as I do a lot of re-sawing in my shop (can't stand to waste precious wood) and always found it a bit hard to make the saw track straight. But of course I made it with a moveable fence.

So it took me a couple of days to plan and build this little "saw gauge" as I like to call it

IMG_1402.jpg
    IMG_1403.jpg

Want to see it in action?

I had a board from an old cabinet where some old Danish carpenter had glued a thin piece of oak onto some (cheap) pine to give substance without wasting too much precious wood.
    IMG_1405.jpg
    I'd wanted to free the oak from its ancient bond. So I set the "saw gauge" and tightened the wedges.
    IMG_1406.jpg

Then I easily saw the kerf around the board, making sure the fence was tight against the face. (I'm sure you have no trouble in seeing how it works)
    IMG_1407.jpg
    Then my 4 tpi rip saw goes to town, without me having to check all the time if I'm on the line or not.
    IMG_1409.jpg

Board is almost free:
    IMG_1410.jpg

Hand plane to the rescue
    IMG_1411.jpg

That's how it works. Its made from canadian elm by the way. Finished with oil and wax.
    If I didn't have one now, I would surely build it again. It saves a lot of trouble.

Hope you enjoyed

Regards
    David
    Pretty cool, but I just use a tenon saw to make starter kerfs before getting after it with a rip saw.