I am finally approaching the finishing stage of a Mid-Century Modern themed Maple and Cherry coffee table that I have been working on for years. Its my first piece of "fine furniture", so I don't have much experience as to the myriad of available finishes to use on it. To preface, I have searched high and low, and apologize in advance for any repetitious questions. I definitely do not want to get the finish wrong, so double checking my plans and questions wont hurt.

The table is mostly maple, with some cherry boards sandwiched in between on the top, legs, and magazine shelf. Since it is a coffee table, and I am in my 20's, I do want a durable finish that will be resistant to scuffs, water rings, etc. I understand this will obviously require some form of varnish, though in an ideal world I might prefer using only an oil and wax, or more of a danish or maloof finish. I would also probably prefer that the maple stay as light as possible throughout its life. I do want some oil in there to bring out the grain of the wood (though it isnt figured).

So, I am leaning towards a 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 mixture of either BLO or Tung, P&L 38 or Waterlox Satin, and a thinner. How does that schedule sound for my wants & needs? Is there any reason to use one and not another? Will they all work together when mixed?

As for the coating, should I simply apply coat after coat of the above mixture? Or, should I start with couple of coats of straight oil and then cover that with straight varnish?

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated!