Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I made the switch...

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Thom, you're right, it looks like the chuck bodies aren't listed separately on ebay. But I see that they are available without jaws as his website, http://www.thewoodturningstore.com. Getting to them takes a couple of steps. On the pages for each of the two sizes of chuck, click on "View Options," then click the drop-down menu in the box for selecting thread size.

David
    Ahh, I did not try the website.

I have been toying with the idea of buying another chuck with 5" dovetail jaws for turning plates and platters. So an HTC 125 bare with 5" jaws would be about $160 + shipping and another Nova (refurbished) with 5" jaws would be about $195 + shipping. Might be enough difference to convince me to put up with having 4 keys until I find out if I like his dovetails and if I can sell my Novas (assuming I decide I want to). Unfortunately the PSI chucks have 1"-8 threads (no inserts) for the smaller lathe so I probably can't get rid of them quite as easily.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I just checked the site and noticed you can get the HTC 125 without jaws but not the HTC 100. I can't understand why they would sell the larger chuck without jaws but not the smaller one.
    Paul Singer
    Jet 1642EVS 2hp

I said it before, but if you are serious about getting a 100 body only, call him...

Thom, I'm not sure if I said this before or not, but when installing the jaws, I found that the best way to do it is to install all 4 jaws, but don't tighten the screws down. Then close the jaws all the way so they all press against each other with no gaps. THEN tighten all the screws down. This method aligns all the jaws perfectly.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Mike,

Since you had both the Stronghold and the Hurricane, did you ever get a chance to check the thread adapters?
    i.e. can the Stronghold adapters be used on the Hurricane?

I'd be very interested in trying out the Hurricanes, but my lathe has a 1.5" x 6 tpi thread.
    Oneway makes version, but its a pretty rare size.

thanks
    Olaf

You, know, Olaf, I didn't try. But I even if the taper were the same, the Hurricane uses three screws for the adapter, and IIRC, the Stronghold uses only two...so, no, I don't believe they'll fit.

Remember, Steve (from my understanding) isn't just a retailer of these chucks. He's the manufacturer. Now, he doesn't have a factory. But a factory makes them for HIM. So, if he wants something, or has enough demand for something, he can have it made. Contact Steve and see if he can either have one/some made for you, or maybe you aren't the only one that has been asking about it, and you'd be the one to be "enough" to make it worth while.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Unfortunately my size/tpi combo is really rare (and old) - near as I can tell, the head & tail stock are from about 1880. Still working well though
    I doubt my size has any commercial value for Hurricane, but others might be able to get more common sizes made.
    Thanks for the feedback nevertheless and good luck with them.

Olaf, one possibility would be to see if you could get an adapter for your spindle...a 1 1/2" x 6 tpi female to a 1 1/4" x 8 tpi male (that is just a really common one, but you could get another size if you wanted) so that you could run any chuck or accessory off your lathe. Might be worth it... I think the adapters run about $20-30 depending on the manufacturer.
    I drink, therefore I am.