Thread: Colored pencil and water color pencil

Colored pencil and water color pencil

My wife draws with both colored pencils and water color pencils. I would like to see her embellish some of my lathe work. Does anyone have experience putting finish over colored pencils? I thought about first going with shellac and then WOP. Also, how about a finish to go over acrylic paint? Thanks

I have sprayed lacquer over "Prisma-Color" brand colored pencils. It appeared to work fine, do not have long term experience yet.

I've sprayed lacquer over acrylics quite a lot...no issues and looks good. Not sure that your markers would write/draw/stick over WOP. On a raw wood shallow bowl with a wide rim, I sealed it with shellac, then sanded to about 400 grit, then had a young artist paint the rim in acrylic paints, then topcoated with the lacquer. I think the shellac gave a good surface without the risk of the paint bleeding into the grain.

I have used prisma colors on elm then covered with WOP with success. The one thing to think about is if the colors will change. I tested a full range of prisma colors with the top WOP finish on some scrap elm....then picked the colors I wanted with complete confidence that I would get the color I intended then committed to the finished piece.

Not all colors will be permanent - some will fade in light. You should be able to find permanency ratings on the website of the manufacturer. I think artist grade acrylic paint would be much better all the way around.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Colored Pencils are a wax-like core and that could cause a problem. The water color pencils are probably fine, but as suggested I would seal the wood first, or at least test on some scraps to see if it bleeds too much. I have used both artists acrylic paints and water color paints on turnings with lacquer finishes and lacquer wood sealer under the paint. The water color was on bare wood.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

William, you might want to try Zig pens, for caliligraphy, a variety of colors, photo safe/acid free/archival quality/lightfast/waterproof/fade-proof/non-bleeding/smear-proof(once dry).....i started using them after/recommended in a rotation by Bart Castleberry for signature and it just broaden, i also use acrylic paints, and burning/pyro or combination of all three

I use a lot of prisma oil colored pencils. I use lacquer over them. One thing is the first 2 or 3 coats must be sprayed lightly. I got a little heavy on the first couple I did with poly and lacquer. They will run. So go light.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bill,
    I use Koh-I-Noor Polycolor oil pencils from Dick Blick to color. I finish coat with General Finishes Woodturners Finish (WTF) applied with a foam brush. It is water based and will bead up on the first coat where the pencil coloring is, however, if you wait about a minute the water evaporates and only oil based finish is left. That can be re-brushed over the pencil coloring, but will look pretty ugly. Let it dry and apply two more coats, sand with 800 grit until uniformly frosty and then buff to a desired finish. WTF has minimal darkening effect on the wood and doesn't change the colors. The platter below has three coats of WTF.
    Dave
    Tree Platter.jpg
    Way south of most everybody...

Wow, love that platter Dave. Is it just pencil, or combination pyro and pencil?

Ray, thanks for the comment. It was burned first and then colored. It is also supposed to be displayed with the tree trunk pointing to 10 o'clock instead of 12 o'clock - the club photographer took the picture before I could correct the orientation. Can't win 'em all...
    Way south of most everybody...

William i've used my granddathers colored pencils with lacquar over them and it seemed to do just fine. This is just a piece of poplar that i did for my mom.005 (800x600).jpg003 (800x799).jpg

Hi William ; try General Finishes Enduro, a water base urethane over your acrylics. I make a lot of Xmas ornaments painted with acrylics and top coated with the Enduro for gloss and handling protection, does a great job and easily applied with a soft brush. Think you will like the results. Clint Merrill