Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exciting acquisition Henry Prentiss lathe

Exciting acquisition Henry Prentiss lathe

About a month or so ago I was looking for an 8" jointer and happened to find one on Craigslist. I called and the gentlemen said he still had it and we made plans to have me come look at it. I knew that if it was as good as the pics I was going to buy it. He only wanted $450 for it and that was the lowest price 8" jointer I had ever seen on CL. So my friend Derrick and I went up to meet with Harvey the next Saturday. When we got there the jointer was exactly as described and I bought it. But the amazing thing was that Harvey had a lathe sitting in the corner that was huge. Derrick saw it first and immediately jumped on it and asked Harvey if he was going to sell it as well. He said yes but I was expecting to hear and enormous price. But true to Harvey's nature as we have come to know him he told Derrick he could have the lathe for $450 the same price as the jointer So he immediate said he would take it but that he needed to send the money to Harvey over the next couple of weeks.

Harvey said no problem and come and get it when you want. So over the next several weeks Derrick has sent Harvey money to pay off the lathe. Derrick works as a tree guy and his work is very schedule isn't consistent which is why he had to send Harvey payments. So today was the day to go pickup the lathe. We got there and Harvey had already taken it all apart and we started lugging the assorted parts up the basement stairs to my pickup. Everything was very manageable until we got to the lathe bed. This thing is almost 6 feet long and solid cast iron. It took all three of us to get it up the basement stairs. Harvey is 83 years old but if you saw him you would think he was significantly younger and he is a big man who is stronger than most men half his age.

So long story short we got it all out of the basement and loaded into my pickup. Then we discussed all of the hardwood he had as we had talked about buying all of that as well. He had yet to give us a price but I figured it was going to be way more than we could afford. But once again Harvey surprised us and asked us if $250 was alright??? Before he could even finish I said SOLD! He has so much wood we couldn't take it all this trip. We did take a bunch of it today but only about a tenth of what he has. Maple, Oak, Mahoghany, Black Locust, Cherry, and some really exotic stuff that weighed a ton. I can't tell you how nice a guy Harvey is and it just blows my mind that he was so cordial and generous to two complete strangers when we first met. He told us he knew that the lathe was worth much more than what we paid but that he was much happier selling it to a couple of guy's that he truly enjoyed meeting and like and that he knew would appreciate and use the tools as much as he did.

A quick story about the lathe he told us today. He bought it from another guy who either worked for or knew someone at the Stanley Tools Works and the lathe was used only in the model making department at the Stanley Tools Works to make patterns for the castings they made their tools out of. I was so excited to hear that story and to know we had a lathe that could have had a hand in making the molds that later made some of the hand planes etc. that so many people covet today. We got it back to Derrick's new garage/shop and immediately set it up and checked everything out. It could easily start turning tomorrow if we plugged it in to a 220 outlet but Derrick wants to do some maintenance on it and clean it up a little bit before we start making chips with it. I don't know how much this lathe is really worth as I cannot find anything online anywhere about it. I did see a similar lathe made by the Oliver Company that was listed at $10,500 so it is somewhere in between $450-$10,500 I guess but I don't really care as it wasn't purchased to flip and make money with it will be put to work and hopefully some very nice turnings will be created with it. Thanks for reading this little story as it was an exciting day for both Derrick and myself although the lathe will live at Derrick's place I will have free access to use it and just knowing that is worth it and i wanted to share with the hardcore turners here because I know I will be asking more questions of the brain trust here as I am no turner but would very much like to get into doing lathe work and this tool is like having a Ferrari to turn with.

Last edited by Michael Mayo; 04-28-2013 at 12:04 AM.

Michael, enjoyed your story, have fun and be safe

Very nice find.
    Rodney

I'm impressed, looks like a very capable machine. You can turn just about anything coming down the pike.
    Fred

Great story, Michael! I'm guessing Harvey is a pretty good judge of people too. Sounds like he concluded you and your buddy are a couple of guys who would appreciate that equipment and recognize that what he was doing was more than just about the money.

David

6. Great lathe and a great story. Michael

Great find and story. Thanks for sharing.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Good story and nice hunk of old iron.

Great find guys! There should be more marking on the lathe because I believe the Henry Prentiss badge was the distributor, not the manufacturer, and they shut the doors in 1942.
    http://www.americanprecision.org/exh...henry-prentiss
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.

Look's like an awesome find and I am sure Derrick and yourself will have years of enjoyment from it. It's a beast without a doubt.

This lathe is set up for metal turning, but should be adaptable for woodturning with the 2 speed pullies on the spindle shaft. I hope you are able to remove that old 3 jaw chuck, and the spindle size can fit a modern 4 jaw scroll chuck. Those tools look like an old Buck Bros. carbon steel, not HSS, but will work for a while with much sharpening.

I don't think it's for metal turning although it might be capable. It is what I think is a pattern makers lathe hence the carriage with cross slide and compound tool rest. There is not nearly enough speeds for metal working and no lead screw so you have to advance the carriage by hand.

That is a beautiful machine. Great find! Love that outboard toolrest stand. You might want to use a three phase motor with VFD to control the speed for versatility. Are there any additional markings on it? Painted-over badges?

It is a woodworking lathe although I am pretty sure you do some limited metal turning on it as there were some copper, brass, aluminum shavings found. But the cross slide has no measurement markings on the handles so you won't be able to be a precise as you would be using a real metal turning lathe. There were no other markings on the lathe that I could see anywhere but to be honest i didn't look too hard as the badge that we can see was prominently displayed right on the headstock and I just assumed that was the manufacturer. I did do some searching but could not find anything useful anywhere about the lathe. I registered on the OWWM site but still have not gotten authorized to post yet. The current motor setup will have to suffice for a while as the financial resources to get a 3 phase motor and a VFD just are not in the cards right now. The 3 jaw chuck easily unscrews from the headstock spindle so replacing it isn't a big deal but I am sure the cost for a 4 jaw chuck at this time is also out of the question as i know those cost quite a bit of money unless I get lucky and find one on CL for short money. The lathe did come with several different faceplates and a bunch of different centers for the tail stock along with a drill chuck for the tail stock.

Quote Originally Posted by philip labre View Post
    Great find guys! There should be more marking on the lathe because I believe the Henry Prentiss badge was the distributor, not the manufacturer, and they shut the doors in 1942.
    http://www.americanprecision.org/exh...henry-prentiss
    I did find that website in my search but it only gave a brief overview of Henry Prentiss the man and not much information about the lathe. I did just send an email to the museum to see if they could give me some additional information that might help me find something about the lathe.