Thread: Peach Stump Question.

Peach Stump Question.

In my yard is the butt log of our old peach tree. Drought last year along with a bumper crop of peaches finished the tree off. It's 14" measured 10" up from the ground and will make some nice turning. The question I have is this, is it worth it to haul the stump out of the ground, pressure wash it and try turning it. I've turned peach crotches and love the grain. So I'm wondering if anybody has made shavings out of a stump?
    With all the rain the ground will turn loose of it more easily in the next day or so, but if it's not worth turning I'm going to burn it out since extra termites are not a critter I need around the home place.
    Thanks
    Teaching grandchildren the hobby is rewarding. Most of the time

Steven, like many things, this decision is one to be weighed against the perceived benefit. How much wood will it yield, how many rocks will you hit, how much cost is involved in time and money to remove it, how many chainsaw blades (or sharpenings) will be required to cut it in to usable pieces? Then, there is the safety issue of turning wood that may, or probably, has rock inclusions.

From the trunk size, it doesn't sound as though the yield would be more than one large blank, or perhaps 2-3 with voids. For me, I would not be interested. There is much in the way of figured wood available - burls, etc., that probably provide more figure for less effort/money. But, you may feel differently.

I agree with John, but he missed one consideration. I always consider the back story of a piece of wood. How attached were you to the "old peach tree"? Was it planted by a beloved relative? Will the finished product be a cherished keepsake? If no to these questions don't bother with it.
    Matt Newton
    IAFF Local 2664

non illigitimi carborundum

Steven, I remember a piece Francesco did in Apricot with a back story. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?194814-Taboo I think it depends on your vision and how much work you're willing to put in and how much risk you want to take. Like John said, watch out for rocks.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

I gave up on stumps, too many bandsaw blades and chainsaw chains ruined. Now if it was a California buckeye, the story would be different. But a little peach, let it go.

Ok to reply to some of the suggestions. I live on the south end of the great midwest cornfield. Here you have to buy rocks if you want them in the ground. My Fathers Sister planted the tree and I do have some attachment to it. Also I sharpen my own chainsaw blades so that doesn't worry me much. There is also the possibility of borrowing a small backhoe from a buddy of mine. I'm sure it's got a bunch of inclusions but so far in all my turning and learning I've only gotten one bloody lip. As wet as it is here if I can get the tractor into the yard without creating a canal system with the tires I think I may give it a shot. I'll let you know about the bandsaw blades however.
    Teaching grandchildren the hobby is rewarding. Most of the time

If you've got access to a backhoe and can sharpena chainsaw.... I say what r u waiting for, get at it. Some of the best pieces I've turned have come from the most unassuming pieces that were cast offs. I've learned to not take any piece for granted and give them their due
    Last edited by Brian Ashton; 04-29-2013 at 7:10 AM.