Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chainsaw Capacity Question

As a high school shop teacher and on my own I've cut thousands of blanks out over the last 10 years. Bar length is not as important as the size of the power head. I have a stihl 21 that I got for limbing trees and such. It came with a 16" bar. it is not powerful enough to prep blanks. The lack of power makes me work much harder which makes it a little more dangerous than my larger saws. So what I'm saying is if you want a 16" bar have it put on a saw that is designed for at least a 20" bar. I also recommend buying from a dealer not a big box store. They will give you good advise and also carry the pro line of saws that are better in the long run. I use a husky 372xp for all my blank prep. The power it has makes it cut through blanks like butter. As far as brand I like both Stihl and Husky. Don't think one can go wrong with either brand. A ripping chain is not needed for prepping blanks. They are Designed to cut with the grain from the end of the log such as one does when making boards with an Alaska saw mill. Simply cut log to a length of less than the bar length of you saw and place it on it side and rip it. You might have to stop and clear the saw dust from around you saw a few times, but it will cut up the blank with ease. I make shavings in this way to put in my hen house. Jack

Glen, there is no one correct answer to your question. Just a lot of opinions. Here's mine:

When you cut up a long, for turning, it can beat you up. Simple. So, get something that will beat you up as little as possible. Will a 14" bar cut a 28" diameter tree? Yes. Will the cuts line up perfectly? Not likely. Is that putting a lot of undue stress on the chainsaw? Yes. Will the chainsaw last as long as it should? No. Will that entail burying the tip of the bar into the wood? Yes. Is that more of a hazard? Yes. Might you have to replace you bar more often by doing that because of wear on the sprocket on the end of the bar? Yes.

In my opinion, a 14" bar is good for cutting 11-12" thick logs. An 18" is good for 16-17" logs. A 20" for 18-19" logs.

What do I have? A 20" bar (I won't tell you the brand since you asked to keep that out of the equation...though brand DOES matter. A 20" bar on a Stihl or Husky will last longer and be much more comfortable for the user than say a 20" bar on a Poulan. But, what you get is up to you.). Do I cut larger than 20" blanks with it? Sure! Do I fell trees larger than 20" with it? Oh, yeah! What size SHOULD I have? Probably a 28-30". But I'm not putting out $1000 for a chainsaw. I can't justify that.

Bottom line is to get a saw that is just about the size of the swing of your lathe (maybe a little bigger). If you've got a 16" swing, an 18" saw will likely do you just fine. Mainly because, as Scott pointed out, if you want a 16" blank, you'll be cutting your logs to about 18" long (if you can get a full 16" blank from its width). I can say from experience that it isn't fun to have to "continue that cut" when ripping. Not that you can't. But they often don't line up all that great. And that can be frustrating.

I'm not sure how much budget is influencing your decision. But, like a lathe purchase, get the biggest most expensive that you can afford (within reason). You will grow into it. NOTE: I don't mean to go out and get a 30" chainsaw just because you can afford it. I mean, between the 14" and 18", if you can, get the 18". You get FAR more than just a longer bar. You get a more powerful motor, too.

And Scott had another very good point. Go to a dealer, not the BORG. Even if the same "brand" is carried at both.
    I drink, therefore I am.

I third the recommendation to buy from a dealer. Pay the extra to get a Stihl or Husqvarna; don't be tempted to buy from Big Box. My 1st saw was a Homelite that had bar, starting, and tensioning issues. It was dangerous to use. My Stihl MS250 is good. I have a 12" lathe and it cuts anything I need. Bigger is definitely better - but only if you have the muscle for it (I don't). Fatigue makes for danger. On the other hand, burying a 14" bar in a 25" log can lead to kickback. It's also hard to cut a clean line working from both sides of the log.

Also, definitely invest in a cant hook and a saw buck. Don't work stupidly.

As a result of this thread, I am considering an 18" Stihl (I think it's the MS250). I was going to get an Echo from the BORG, but will make a trip to a local dealer instead.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

I have the 250 Pro and it's a good compromise between weight and power. I think it came with a 20" bar (I have a 20" lathe). One other thing, It will come with anti-kickback chain. I used that until I felt comfortable with it, but then changed to pro chains, which will cut a lot faster. The longer cut times put more strain on my back, which leads to more fatigue, which others have pointed out is a safety factor as well.

Make sure you store your gas in a can that you won't confuse with the lawnmower gas, that is an expensive mistake! DAMHIKT

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Carlson View Post
    I grew up with a 20" bar and would hesitate to go shorter except for limbing or cutting very small stuff. Unfortunately that saw was taken by a relative when my grandmother died.
    I loved that saw and now have my own. Stihl is the only brand I like. Yeah, I know, hornets nest.... I have a 390 and it wears a 20" bar unless I am cutting bigger stuff, then it wears a 28" bar. It has no problem pulling either bar in hardwood. I have opened up the muffler to let it breathe and run cooler, but that is a must on ANY saw. I have also modified the oiler. A stock saw can be fun, but they are more fun once you set them free. Make sure you get a rim sprocket. They run smoother and it is MUCH cheaper to replace a $5 rim than a $35 spur sprocket.
    Isaac --- Can you say more about the mods you mentioned?

Dan

-Woody Allen-

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman View Post

Make sure you store your gas in a can that you won't confuse with the lawnmower gas, that is an expensive mistake! DAMHIKT

Dan
    Well there's ONE thing I wont have to worry about. No lawnmower!! Don't even own a gas tank (yet).
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

If you are not doing a lot of cutting, just get a 1 gallon gas can. They say that modern gas with ethanol doesn't store well, even with stabilizer, so no point in buying more gas than a gallon at a time, maybe even half a gallon. I've been told not to use gas more than about 6 weeks old. There is one place here in town that that sells ethanol free gas (which will store longer) so I've used that with good results.

Dan

-Woody Allen-

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mayo View Post
    Whatever saw you end up buying the very first thing you should learn to do is sharpen your own chain! This is the single most important thing you need to know how to do when using a chain saw. If you just barely nick the chain on the ground it will need to be sharpened. I bought an Oregon chain jig that mounts on the bar and guides the file when you are sharpening and it made sharpening a much quicker and enjoyable (if you can say that about sharpening?) then trying to do it by eye.

I have two Stihl saws. One is a 025 with an 18" bar and I just last fall picked up a Stihl 044 with a 20' bar and that saw is a beast. The 025 was a saw my father purchased some time ago for light duty work around the yard and it is a nice saw but when it comes to cutting up big lumber the 044 eats everything put in front of it and never bogs or complains. It is significantly heavier than the 025 but it is also a much larger saw at 77cc's. When it comes to cutting big lumber you can't beat displacement. The 025 18" bar has cut some pretty big stuff as well but it has a much tougher time doing it and it takes a lt longer to make the same cut that the 044 can do in half the amount of time and effort.
    I thought i was the only one in the world with an 025 stihl.

I wouldn't let ethanol scare you from using it. Use synthetic premix oil and your good for about 4 weeks. Gasoline does lose octane when it sets especially if the container isn't completely airtight. I know the ethanol comment will cause a stir but I consider us to be experts here. This is where it all began and we have been using it since 1980 and while our vehicles may have rusted away they ran right up till that point.

I bought a Stihl Farm Boss with a 20" bar from a dealer based on the dealer's suggestion. It's a perfect match to my needs. It gets heavy, but has lots of power, and will cut through the big leaf maples and Douglas Firs that occasionally fall on my property. The pro saws are a bit stronger and lighter at the same time, but for a lot more money. The dealer's advice was worth shopping for, and it probably saved me money and frustration.

Ethanol... Groan. Try to find non-ethanol gas.

If you can't find non-ethanol gas, you should drain your saw of the excess gas (In an aproved environmentally safe method of course) and run the saw until it dies. This gets all of the gas out. Do not store the saw with gas in it for extended periods of time.

I bought an 18' and wish I would have gotten the 20".