Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: lapdesk

Don't get down on yourself, Steven - yours is worthy on it's own merits.

I think it is long past time for Mr. Cohen to admit he has an addiction to sawdust.

This making of fine wooden objects is little more than a cover story for his habit.

I think the central panel has the the best figure of all, in the photographs.
    If it isn't kept with this piece, it would be a shame not to see it appear, again.

I really like this desk Derek.
    Honestly, I think the last hidden compartment is the coolest of all. You can actually hide some documents in there. What kind of documents...? No idea, but reassuring to know you have a hiding place when you need it .
    I've been looking for another project to work on for a while and after seeing your lap desk, I think I would really like to try one.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Keep it.

Since you are using the central storage bay for your iPad, and I expect various other odds and ends will seek shelter there. I see no place to keep suitable stationary handy yet crisp. I would use the secret space in the cover as a place to keep paper and envelopes. iPads are wonderful, but your pens are not suited for the touchscreen.

I've not used a lapdesk before, but I do use a fountain pen every day. I appreciate enough desktop to rest/brace my forearm. I know my penmanship would be improved writing on the cover, with my forearm on the lid. Using the lid might be a bit like the drop down table on an airplane. Have you given it a test drive/write?

Two questions:

- What is the idea behind the brass screws in the back of the pen tray?

- How do you plan to latch it closed, or do you? The sleek design and nice miter between the lid pieces is so clean. It begs for something modest and unobtrusive.

Cool project. Well done.

Cool project.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Belair View Post
    Very nice Derek. The last photo is especially striking with the contrast of the jarrah pins. Are these woods from some of the reclaimed timbers you're fond of using?

I'm in the camp that says leave the center panel out. I'd be more in favour of one that extended the writing surface but not a panel in frame as shown.

Curious why and how you cut the triangular dados for the drawer back.

Jim B
    Hi Jim

The Jarrah is reclaimed timber, some from ex-roof beams, some from the local salvage yard. The She-oak is from large beam I bought several years ago. I have used pieces from it for several special projects. This is the last of it.

My wife wants me to inlay the top of the lapdesk. A thin pinstripe inside the edge. I do not want to as I like the clean, seamless look (which took careful work to achieve), and any extra would make it too busy. Any thoughts?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Steven

That is a really nice lapdesk. I love the old wood. It has an ageing that is hard to replicate.

Any pics of the inside?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McDermott View Post

I've not used a lapdesk before, but I do use a fountain pen every day. I appreciate enough desktop to rest/brace my forearm. I know my penmanship would be improved writing on the cover, with my forearm on the lid. Using the lid might be a bit like the drop down table on an airplane. Have you given it a test drive/write?

Two questions:

- What is the idea behind the brass screws in the back of the pen tray?

- How do you plan to latch it closed, or do you? The sleek design and nice miter between the lid pieces is so clean. It begs for something modest and unobtrusive.

Cool project. Well done.

Cool project.
    I imagine myself writing notes on the top of the case, lifting the rear lid to access a pen or ink. The front lid folds down perfectly (by design or luck) at the correct angle so that the inside of this lies coplanar with the centre lid/cover, thereby creating a long working area. I cannot see myself using it this way, however. The inside is really for storage.

The desk is for writing, not reading. Hence there is no "lip" at the end to prevent papers or books from sliding off. This would be awkward for writing. Without the lip, papers/pads may be moved to their ideal angle, moved up or down or along.

My plan has been to add on the underside of the cover an elastic (diagonal) grid for envelopes.

The brass screws at the rear of the drawer are simply depth stops. This way I could dial them in precisely and keep them unobtrusive.

No latch to keep closed. I want to maintain the clean lines. As I mentioned above, I am resisting my wife's suggestion for inlay.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Grandson has claimed as his. I'l see what I have as to pictures of the insideSDC14914.jpgSDC14912.jpgSome shots of the un-finished desk, showing both the inside, and how I made a pencil groove.

Derek, I'm for keeping the inner cover/drawer but as a "lift-out", not a hinged unit. You would retain storage space for your iPad, drawer space for paper or pad, an extended writing surface, and would avoid the clutter of four hinges along the front rail.
    Another beautiful piece. I assume the inclusion in the inner cover does not pose a problem while writing? IIRC, you write left-handed.

Nice work Derek. I'd say hold off--you can add the inlay later but can't take it off...Also, you could mock up the inlay in a photo (I.e, on the fourth one in your series). Good luck! Chris C.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    My wife wants me to inlay the top of the lapdesk. A thin pinstripe inside the edge. I do not want to as I like the clean, seamless look (which took careful work to achieve), and any extra would make it too busy. Any thoughts?
    I like the clean look. The She-Oak has got plenty going for it already, dressing it up would detract IMO.

However, if it were my wife asking for a pinstripe, my own set of aesthetics are no longer relevant :-)

I haven't seen any references to the lap desk Thomas Jefferson designed and had built.

I would keep the central panel, only put a clipboard type clip on the inner side. That way, you've got a hollow clipboard you can take use when the lapdesk is overkill.

As for the string inlay the wife wants, I'll stay out of that one...
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

The dilemma faced where we left off was what to do with the centre interior panel. Keep it or ditch it.

I must admit that I preferred the simple basic version (sans centre section) where I could see the nice console ...

... versus ...

I did come up with a new idea for the centre section - I removed it, pulled it apart :O and rebuilt it .. smaller ...

The idea was to create a stand for an iPad (and save the fourth hidden drawer). This could be built on the inside of the main lid.

It can be hinged back to support the iPad, like this ...

The edges of the "cassette" are beveled and the result does make it thinner looking in real life ..

... and the hidden drawer was there all along!

But I am not convinced. The hinges remain on the shelf. I shall sleep on it awhile.

Thoughts?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Very nice, I was 2/3 the way through the thread and was all set to poke Derek about not making a place for an iPad/iBook, iPhone....Daaang if he didn't add it before I could chime in! I guess I could suggest fans for cooling, but then we might need outlets...UPS....leading to a junction box....

One of the projects I want to do is a desk, oriented towards computer storage and parts vs storage of paper files. A poster on SMC just posted a nice Shaker Drop Top Desk on the projects forum. Now I have two sources of ideas for my project. I can even see some of the joinery technique hinting how Derek put parts of it together. I have been studying on joinery techniques and it is nice to see how Derek approached the challenge of the smaller scale piece.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 05-07-2013 at 10:56 AM.