Thread: Athol Machine Co.

Blog Entries

Athol Machine Co.

So I keep some old tools and stuff in plastic shoe boxes in a closet. while looking for a tool,
    I saw an old combination square in one of the shoe boxes. I absolutely do not remember how I happen
    to have it.

Looking at it and holding it, I snapped to the fact, "this is no box store square" I looked on the blade
    and found that it is a No 500 Athol Machine company square, and that it sure reminds me of the Starrett
    on my bench.

I googled it and found that Athol Macine Company makes Starrett, thus that's why it looks and feels
    like a Starrett. Duh...

All I can say, if you young fellows live long enough, you will probably experience something like this.

Last edited by lowell holmes; 04-29-2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: TYPO

I believe Athol was bought out by Starrett if I remember correctly. I have a lovely little 4" cast machinist level made by Athol.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Welcome to the "no 13th hammer" society.

Our membership foreswears hardware stores to find a tool
    until we have searched the darkened recesses of our basements and
    opened every cardboard box, in search or the twelve hammers we already own...

I have several Athol tools and they are really nice. I was under the impression also that Starrett bought out Athol.

Blog Entries
    I appreciate the feed back. I did not know who bought out the other, but I could tell they are related.

What time period were the Athol tools made?

I may have to put it in the wall display case with the type 7 Stanley Plane.

As I understand it, the very condensed version of what happened is this:

1) Starrett ended up in Athol whilst looking for someone to manufacture some meat chopping invention of his. He hooked up with Athol Machine and went to work for them
    2) sometime later, he lost his job with Athol. Just as well as he had other ideas that he wanted to pursue
    3) He formed Starrett and went to work, getting sued along the way by Athol.
    4) He bought Athol Machine in 1905, 20+ years after founding Starrett

Starrett started his own company to produce combo squares, which he invented and patented. I very much suspect that what you have is a combo square made by Athol, some time after Starrett's patent ran out, but before they were bought. I don't know, but that would be my best guess.

Blog Entries
    I'm relieved to know that there are others afflicted with the malady.