Thread: Recent work

Recent work

So a friend was trying to figure out where to store a long 4x4 that he had. He and I and another friend got together to come up with a new storage system that we thought you might be interested in seeing.

So, Ok, not really for storing 4x4s but a fun build anyway. I've wanted one for years but could never justify the $$, then I met Larry Brooks who is a newer local turner with a 3520B and then I talked my friend David Ratto into buying a used 3520B. Well, with the three of us all "needing" one and, combined, having all the tools necessary it was time to get building.

3 Guys + 3 days + $300ish = 3 "Jeff Nicol" Steady Rests, including the movable arm for the 10 o'clock position to clear hollowing system lasers.

Here is a better shot of just one of them:

We did figure out that we need to cut notches in the ring to clear the Cage. After that, just clean and paint and they will be done.
    Greg Ketell
    "Permanent Turning Newbie" aka "Always trying something new"

See my photo gallery here
    (in need of updating)

Wow Greg!!! Excellent work by the Three Amigos!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Greg, those are really nice. If you don't mind my asking, where did you get the rings?

BTW, the background of your photos look like the lathe tool display at that Woodcraft over in Dublin.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Whitlow View Post
    Greg, those are really nice. If you don't mind my asking, where did you get the rings?
    I ordered them from McMaster-Carr. Item #1764K66, $23.40 plus shipping which was $15 for the three of them.
    BTW, the background of your photos look like the lathe tool display at that Woodcraft over in Dublin.
    Yeah, Larry is the most organized guy I've met. I'm very jealous of his setup!!
    Greg Ketell

(in need of updating)

Those look awesome-on a par with my JN model. Great work you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    thanks Jim! Are you going to make "the gathering" in June? If so, you can see them in person.

Quote Originally Posted by bob svoboda View Post
    Those look awesome-on a par with my JN model. Great work you guys!
    thanks, Bob. But I doubt seriously they are as good as Jeff's work; I haven't welded since high school and it shows!
    Greg Ketell

(in need of updating)

That is just amazing! That is way cool!

Looking good, but Jeff painted mine a "Mustard" color. I don't remember where the paint came from. Just don't go green or white.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    Looking good, but Jeff painted mine a "Mustard" color. I don't remember where the paint came from. Just don't go green or white.
    We were going to paint ours Mustard too but PM wants $20 a can for the stuff. And being in NorCal, getting good oil-based lacquer is harder than finding bigfoot. So we are currently thinking black, but still debating.
    Greg Ketell

(in need of updating)

10. Greg, Those are great looking steady rests! I have the Nichols rest and love it. Using the rest has helped me become much more comfortable doing larger hollow forms. However..., what I'd really love to see is a couple of pictures (front, side and back) of your tool stand. Did you come up with the plan yourself or did you find it here at the creek? I'm going to build a tool stand as soon as school lets out and I love how yours is laid out. It would fit in my small shop much better than the rolling cart design I was thinking of. Any photos or direction you could offer would be appreciated! Happy and safe turning!

Looks like a great and productive time for a bunch of guys. Nice Job! Sure beats my 2x4 construction. I also noticed the tool stand; very well organized.

Looks like a good time and some nice steady rests.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Greg,

Great job on those! BTW, for the paint, since we can't get lacquer around here, I took my banjo to my local Ace hardware and they did a perfect computer color match in an oil based gloss enamel. A quart cost $10 and would be more than enough to paint them all.
    Dick Mahany.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    Greg,

Great job on those! BTW, for the paint, since we can't get lacquer around here, I took my banjo to my local Ace hardware and they did a perfect computer color match in an oil based gloss enamel. A quart cost $10 and would be more than enough to paint them all.
    thanks for the hint, Dick. I checked our local Ace and they can do it too. I may take a seldom-used tool rest down tomorrow.

Gk
    Greg Ketell

(in need of updating)

First off.....great work Greg. They look very sturdy. Second, thanks for the link to the rings. I've been scratching my head for the last couple months trying to figure out how to make a ring like that.....AND.....they sell them in a 30" size....perfect fit for my lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ketell View Post
    I ordered them from McMaster-Carr. Item #1764K66, $23.40 plus shipping which was $15 for the three of them.

Yeah, Larry is the most organized guy I've met. I'm very jealous of his setup!!
    Do or do not, there is no try.