Thread: Rust Hunt finds

Rust Hunt finds

Spent a whopping $8 on three items todaySDC15013.jpgSDC15015.jpgThe bigger saw is a 5ppi. No medallion on it. Will try later to find an etch. Shorty is a Warranted Superior 14" crosscut, with a BIG set to the teeth. The little block plane is a Black era Stanley #110, complete with a spider nest on the knob. Will try to get things cleaned up a little better. Iron on the 110 has a "clipped Box" logo.

Well, I did get the #110 cleaned up a bitSDC15031.jpgand even got some decent shavings out of itSDC15029.jpgSDC15030.jpg The 5ppi rip saw has a "Franken handle" . Took off the three bolts to clean them up, and removed the tote. Found a few extra holes under it. Little crosscut saw was quite sharp, but has a LOT of set to it. Almost like it was an "early-day" toolbox saw? Will clean it up as a user. Ps: That rip saw is also VERY SHARP, teeth wise.

I find a little cross cut like that nice to keep in the car for rough cutting down lumber to fit in the back hatch - a lot of softwood I pick up is still high enough in moisture when I pick it up that a little extra set is nice, especially on wider boards.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

It's pretty hard to beat the coarse toothed construction site saws that are induction hardened as a car saw. Their plates are soft and can be beat around without hurting them, and they cut faster that you'll ever get a hand sharpened saw to cut (unless they are a junk brand).

The trade off is they can chip out the back side of a cut a good amount, but if you're just breaking down stuff for the car, that's not a real big deal.

Definitely agree with that sentiment, David. The saw I was using came with some saws I did want, or it was given to me or something, so it was basically "free", where as a construction saw would, in theory, be some sort of cash outlay, no matter how small. Now that I think about it, I have no idea where I left that saw, so I maybe I should grab an induction hardened guy to keep in the car. . .

I used to keep the chipping in the back to a minimum by scoring with the blade of my victorinox before cutting. That's actually why I started bringing a saw around - at the times I would go to the borg, it would either take too long to track someone down and wait to get something cut, and at some of the hardwood places, it would be a tossup as to how clean a cut the chop saw they used would leave behind - once they had a dull or poor choice of blade (looking back, maybe it was a rip tablesaw blade in there?) and it just made a mess of a lot of wood. I'm cheap.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice