Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need a snow blower,suggestions?

need a snow blower,suggestions?

I'm only 60 years old but find it tougher and tougher to shovel the snow in my front yard ,driveway.
    I live in a rural area and get a lot of snow every winter so I'm thinking if I find a good powerful/reliable snow blower ,I could use it for the next few years without hurting my back.
    The problem is I have a long slanted driveway that's not even paved so I would need a machine that could go up the slope,plow all the way to the top,around the car ,mail box and back down to be stored in the shed.
    I just don't know:
    #1) how many horse power?
    #2)tracks or wheels?
    #3)steerable or not?
    #4)2 stage?
    #5)do I need extra features like,lights/heated handles?
    Too many choices (Ariens,Toro,)but the amount to spend might limit the search($1400).
    Do you have any suggestions.

tracks or wheels will depend on the snow depth
    I hope that snow blowers are steer by apply brakes on one side otherwise turning the machine will require you to lean into the machine [ pull back on one side and push into the other side ]

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    tracks or wheels will depend on the snow depth
    ]
    The depth is almost always a foot and more in Peterborough ,Canada.I have heard tracks are better for going in deep snow/high slope but isn't it harder to steer?

Let us start from the easiest... You need 2-stage for sure. Second, you will need plug in electric start since engines are hard to start in the winter by pulling a cord. The 2-stage usually start from 5 HP and up. The commercial grade is usually 9-10 HP and up and my suggestion is to go with this grade. Wheels should be OK provided that they are the Ag type deep-bar tread tires or have chains.

The thrower at least should have wheel release for turning. Lights are handy especially if you live up North. For a good article you can browse the Consumer Reports especially for safety aspects.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2...ount/index.htm

Sal.

Great info Sal,thanks for the link.
    Last edited by ken masoumi; 12-15-2013 at 8:48 PM.

Is your driveway stone or what?

I've only ever used snow blowers on paved driveways. Does anyone know if Ken will need something special for UNPAVED?

My 7.5 HP snow blower starts on the first or second pull every time even after 13 years now. I have an electric starter, but I don't even know if it works. Most of the snow blowers in your range will have electric start. I just have basic wheel drive because we don't often get a foot at a time. I have a 200 foot driveway or I would just have a basic paddle wheel snow blower.

I would watch out for some of the Chinese made engines on some of the snow blowers now. They might be fine today, but what about parts years down the road?

For stone or gravel just set the feet on the blower a bit higher to not suck up the stones.

I bought a snow thrower 3 years ago, right before having a hip replacement. Went to Home Depot and bought an Ariens --2 stage was an absolute requirement. (The orange color was a big plus, this being Broncos country ...)

Really great machine - well built, works great, starts immediately, plows thru reasonably wet, heavy snow. I especially like having the electric start. Some mornings it is just too cold to get one going with the rope start. I shoveled for 25+ years at present house, and fell enough times over the years, always on my left side, to develop enough microfractures in my hip to cause arthritis and require the surgery. I'd suggest not waiting as long as I did if you think you might need a snow thrower.
    Last edited by Lee Reep; 12-15-2013 at 9:17 PM.

+1 on the electric starter. I like the Tecumseh or Briggs and Stratton motors.
    Mine is 8hp, which is sufficient and not too heavy.

Wider is not necessarily better, as the wet stuff will shear the breakaway pins on the drive shaft, if it's overloaded. I bought a Huskvarna 7 years ago and it has needed only oil and gas. Unless you have a twisting drive, simple is best.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    My 7.5 HP snow blower starts on the first or second pull every time even after 13 years now.
    Yeah, but you are using it probably ten or eleven months a year. I've heard there are only two seasons up there: Winter and August.
    Regards,
    Dick

Have you thought about getting a 4 wheeler with a plow? It might suit you better with the unfinished driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Is your driveway stone or what?

I've only ever used snow blowers on paved driveways. Does anyone know if Ken will need something special for UNPAVED?
    The driveway is stone/gravel,but I see Brian gave me the solution on how to use the plower without sucking up the stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post

For stone or gravel just set the feet on the blower a bit higher to not suck up the stones.
    Thank you Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Reep View Post
    I bought a snow thrower 3 years ago, right before having a hip replacement. Went to Home Depot and bought an Ariens -
    Arien is one of the brands I'm seriously considering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Reep View Post
    I'd suggest not waiting as long as I did if you think you might need a snow thrower.
    Last year when we moved here I realized I needed a snowblower then. I'm not going to wait another winter ,Tomorrow I'm coming home with one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    +1 on the electric starter. I like the Tecumseh or Briggs and Stratton motors.
    Mine is 8hp, which is sufficient and not too heavy.

Wider is not necessarily better, as the wet stuff will shear the breakaway pins on the drive shaft, if it's overloaded. I bought a Huskvarna 7 years ago and it has needed only oil and gas. Unless you have a twisting drive, simple is best.
    I saw an ad for a used commercial grade Husky,it has a joystick to control the chute,blades.haven't seen a new one though.the widest I'm looking for is 26".

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Latshaw View Post
    Yeah, but you are using it probably ten or eleven months a year. I've heard there are only two seasons up there: Winter and August.
    lol,we do get four seasons up here but winter feels like 6 months even though it's only 4 . so in a way you are right,just not as bad.
    Many thanks to each and every one of you,I now have all the info I need to make the right purchase.
    it will be ,around 8 to 10 HP,steerable,26" wide,2 stage Arien or Toro.
    Thank you all for your help.
    Ken.

Www.Wovel.com. Better then a shovel and never have to fuss with a snow blower. No back issues. Stores easy. I done both and for my $ this is the best option. You will look like a goof but smiling ear to ear. No affiliation just a happy customer.

I had an Ariens for years until the motor froze up. I now have a yardman that has brake steering and heated handles. I have used this one for 10 years now.

Snow blower

Honda HS928TA 28" Track Snowblower. This is the one I have. Works great & is easy to start....