Thread: Honduran Rosewood Jewelry Box

Honduran Rosewood Jewelry Box

Well I posted this over in the projects section but thought it should belong here more than anywhere else. It was 95% handtool project, the exception being the grooves for panels being done on a router table. The box wood is Honduran rosewood with a wenge lid panel. The small boxes are doug fir with ebony inlay on the top edge. The bottom of the main box is sapele with African blackwood butterfly keys that are just something I wanted to try to get away from my typical straight line butterflies. They were very difficult to cut the curved walls of the recess, but managed to get it without gaps. The pulls on the lid are also African blackwood carved with a knife, small gouges and sanded smooth.

I thicknessed the woods by hand and must admit that the rosewood was not fun at all. The dovetails in this wood are also incredibly painful. I have a bunch of this wood left in 4/4 and really am not excited to work it. I sharpened as much as I worked it. It blunted edges like nothing i've dealt with. In comparison the wenge was a delight compared to this stuff and the doug fir was like I was on vacation relaxing. The pictures really don't do the box justice as I suck at taking pics and left some finger smudges behind. I also left out the most important shot of all, a picture with the box lid shut (crazy I know!). I finished the box with 5 mins to spare with giving it to my mother for her 50th birthday.

box4 resize.jpg Box3 resize.jpg Box2 resize.jpg Box1 resize.jpg

Tony, very nice work! Its always a pleasure to see what other creekers are creating. I see you made the effort to make sure you had nice grain orientation, well done sir! What did you finish it with?
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Nice work Tony,I bet the box has some heft to it.Thats one of my favorite box styles to make.Looks like you choose brusso stop hinges.Have you tryed the quadrant hinges they are fun and challenging.
    Thanks for sharing.

Looks good, Tony...
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Very nice work, Tony. The joinery is nice and tight, and the box looks beautiful. I'm sure your mom will appreciate that forever, and it'll be a family heirloom.
    Jeff

Excellent work Tony.

I would have imagined that the Sapele, which often has reversing striations, would have been more of a challenge to plane than the Rosewood?

Nice design and joinery. Anything tricky there?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Beautiful! Thats work that youll be proud of forever and your Mom will treasure for the rest of her life.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Excellent work Tony.

I would have imagined that the Sapele, which often has reversing striations, would have been more of a challenge to plane than the Rosewood?

Nice design and joinery. Anything tricky there?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    The Sapele was somewhat difficult to plane but I have planes set up to handle the nasty grain. My biggest trouble with the rosewood is how hard it was on blades. I'm sure you have to deal with that on a regular basis with the woods you use Derek. But I have to say the honduran rosewood is incredibly hard compared to anything i deal with on a regular.

Joinery is all straight forward dovetail construction. The ebony inlay on top of the small boxes are mitered at the corners and came out incredibly tight, which did take me some time getting right. The joint is almost invisible in the black ebony.

Nice work!

Can you tell me how you did the ring holder box?
    I'm right in the middle of making a jewlery box myself.
    Definition of an expert: Someone more than 50 miles from home with a briefcase.

Very nice. How did you make the ring holders?

So I finally got over to my mother's house and happened to think of taking pics of the box closed. But all I had was her iphone so the they aren't the best quality.

box closed1 resize.jpg box closed top view resize.jpg box closed side resize.jpg

I think this looks smart, in Rosewood.

I'm no fan of Sapele as a solid piece.
    That alternating grain pattern hides a fault line where the board will fracture.

This looks good on top of that hall table.
    There's some familial DNA in the pulls on each piece.

Well done.

All you need to do is create folds, and the rings slide into the crevices.