Thread: Walnut Practise piece

Walnut Practise piece

DSC_0075.jpgDSC_0081.jpg Walnut 14" X 5 3/4" a hair over 1/8" thick wall thickness . I roughed this piece out a little over 5 yrs ago when I 1st started hollowing. Later realizing it's a poor form I never bothered to do the finish turning of it. Then one day I was looking for a piece to practice some pyrography & use of inda ink on so I thought this would be a good piece to practice on since it wouldn't really bother me if I screwed it up. I've only attempted pyrography on 2 other pieces.
    I thought the burning went fairly well so I went ahead and finished the piece with acrylic artist paint, india ink & a High Gloss varnish. Sorry about the poor picture. I couldn't seam to get a picture with out a heavy shadow & hot spots form my cheap lights.
    Some times it's nice to have some pieces around to practice new & different techniques on that your not afraid to screw up

Joe, you might like the form, but you can't say the wood isn't beautiful. I think it's a nice piece............ Jerry (in Tucson)

beautiful piece. It looks like you really polished it up. How did you finish it?
    Do or do not, there is no try.

If that is practice, what does the real work look like??????????? Great looking piece and wood.

Nicely done, Joe! And I really like the form. Don't see why you call it poor.

David

Really very nice, Joe. Beautiful wood!

Beautiful piece and wood. Wish my good pieces would look like your practice piece.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Nagle View Post
    beautiful piece. It looks like you really polished it up. How did you finish it?
    Dennis, I used Golden Acrylic Artist paint, for some color, India Ink for the Black rings, followed by High Gloss Varnish. There is no polishing involved, the High Gloss is right off the brush, nothing else done to it, no rubbing or polishing at all just off the brush finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Beautiful piece and wood. Wish my good pieces would look like your practice piece.

Thanks Bernie, but your being much to modest here. I've seen some of your work here & you've posted some been great looking here too.

If I had to guess the type of wood, I would have guessed Butternut. The wavy type of grain shown is typical where the growth rings are scalloped rather than circles. Love the effect.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    If I had to guess the type of wood, I would have guessed Butternut. The wavy type of grain shown is typical where the growth rings are scalloped rather than circles. Love the effect.

robo hippy

Thanks Reed. This one is defiantly walnut. I harvested it myself. I've never turned butternut,but have seen some beautiful pieces made from it.

Very nice combination of interesting grain in the wood and excellent embellishments. I like the form too.

Thanks Marc, I still haven't sold myself on the form on this one. It's actually kinda of nice to have some pieces around like this though to practice different techniques on and not worry if you screw them up or not. If you do screw it up you don't feel as bad as if it was a piece you had high hopes for & if you don't screw it up you still have a piece even if it's not up to your own likings you can give to a family member or friend who will appreciate it anyway just because you made it.