Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turner specific, Work Bench, Peg board/Lathe tool storage.

Turner specific, Work Bench, Peg board/Lathe tool storage.

Hi all,
    It's been some time since I've posted. Since the beginning of this year I started re-finishing my basement where my shop is located. Initially the intent was to separate the "Clean" and "Dirty" sides of the basement. Once I Halved the basement, I chose to thoroughly finish the Clean Side. I put in a separate rec room for my Son as well as a Laundry room w/ sink.

Now that the Clean side is complete. I have now dragged my lathe and Saws etc into their respective locations. Before getting back to turning, I want to get organized. This will include a new Bench as my current bench racks a bit and has a 2x pine top (too soft) and is in need of a proper bench vise. This leads me to my questions.

1. I have seen cabinet makers benches and such; Does anyone have a features on their benches specific to help with turning? I’m thinking more to facilitate Blank prep, or finishing or whatever…
    2. What about peg boards and/or Lathe chisel storage? I’d like the storage to hang behind the late but biased at tail stock end. (to avoid reaching over spinning object) I’m thinking of trying to get chisels, calipers, knock-out bar, chuck keys, wrenches, Molly bars etc. Perhaps also small drawers at bottom for sanding disks. I have a large, 2 drawer system under the lathe so chuck and jaw storage and taper attachments are all set. I’d like it to be easily accessible yet as compact as possible. I’m open to a chest that opens as well.

I’d like to get fancy without breaking the bank. Having the last name I do, when making a tool chest, I feel there is a minimum I should shoot for. (Thanks a lot Cousin Henry)

Please share any thoughts, pics or links that you think may add insight or inspiration to my effort.

~Update: Per Dan and other's comments Re:curlys, I should reconsider location. I added a picture of the shop layout to illustrate. I originally figured Pegboard etc would be above Sharpening station. Since I use a water sharpener, this is extra reason to move things to keep curlys out of the water reservoir. So I may, per the Red arrow, switch the lathe and Sharpening and have pegboard still over the sharpening, this is logical. However I am concerned that I may prefer to have more elbow room near the tailstock.BasementShop.JPG
    Last edited by Chris Studley; 05-06-2013 at 5:09 PM. Reason: Added Picture

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Studley;2106000
    2. What about peg boards and/or Lathe chisel storage? I’d like the storage to hang behind the late but biased at tail stock end. (to avoid reaching over spinning object) I’m thinking of trying to get chisels, calipers, knock-out bar, chuck keys, wrenches, Molly bars etc. Perhaps also small drawers at bottom for sanding disks.

[LIST=1
    [/LIST]
    My experience with tool racks and pegboards anywhere within 3-6 feet is that they collect shavings and chips, especially toward the tailstock area. If you are going to have storage near at hand, design the racks etc so that cleanup is not too difficult, and so that there are not pockets which will collect and hold stuff. Turning tool racks with a slanted open base will shed at least some of the stuff that comes their way.

Keep in mind that when bowl turning, half of the curlies go behind the lathe - those from the inside of the bowl are directed to the region you are considering for your tool rack.

I want to make a curved plane stop for bowl blanks - I often use a scrub plane to level out the face of a blank before I secure the face plate for roughing it.

If you search this forum for rack or storage, you will find many interesting solutions for storing your turning tools.

Seen in the background here are some simple shelves I put up to hold chucks, jaws, etc. The tall, open cabinet holds my vacuum chuck station, as well as tools and other misc. It's nice to have a big jointer to set your tools on.

It's nice ot have a drying rack for green turnings to dry on...

A tool rack - I made two and hung them on the wall...

What I started with...

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I have two benches in my shop - one a heavy duty 3" top and the other is MDF and Masonite. The latter is behind me as I stand at the lathe which is in the middle of the room so that I can clean all sides. The workbench behind me has 5 2' wide drawers for various items. There are three racks like the one Dan showed mounted on the ends of the WB (two stacked for shorter spindle gouges and one by itself for longer bowl gouges and scrapers.) The table has a raised back with 'command strip' hangers spaced around (I don't like pegboard). There is a sandpaper rack on the bench and it has a small vise. There is a post at the headstock end of the lathe and chucks reside on pegs hanging off the post which was put there to support the electrical drop. It also supports the vacuum pump for vacuum chucking, face masks and turning smock. There is an arm coming off the post above the lathe with a long power strip for detail lighting and power sanding. There is another power strip on the WB. The grinder resides on the other side of the post. There is a rolling tool box beside the WB opposite the grinder and it and the WB are backed up by shelving units holding stock and chemicals.

Pretty much every thing I need at the lathe is only a step or two away. It was inspired by the workstations at John Campbell Folk School as well as the tool rack that has been discussed here several times. It has been a big improvement over prior arrangements. I found that setting the lathe close to wall left an area that could not be easily cleaned and could be dangerous if a piece comes off the lathe and ricochets off the wall. I had a tool cabinet under the lathe, but it was always full of curlies, much fewer with it behind me.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

The only things I use on my workbench for turnin is when splitting wood or knocking off the corners.
    I use a scrap 2X4 or 2X6 in the vise throat and the hold fast when trimming corners.
    This is a quick release vice. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...FUWo4AodICwARQ

I am almost finished with my wall cabinet which will have 48" X 30" of shelves 5-1/2" deep and 16 linear feet of pegboard. All reachable with maximum one step. I still have to mount my gooseneck light in the center (36" neck), and a couple of other small mods. I will try to remember to post a pic when finished.
    My lathe is very near the wall but I do not have to reach over spinning bowls to get items.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

So Far Dan Wins the contest for Most thorough... the progression of pictures looks like you swept half way through, hopefully not on My account

Thom was pretty thorough as well, but no pictures, so not sure it really happened

And Mike, Love the bench vise idea for blank prep. I was going to include a similar vise anyway, but this reminds me to be sure not to go cheap on one or the corresponding bench top and mounting setup

Thanks again all.... Please keep them coming…

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Studley View Post

Thom was pretty thorough as well, but no pictures, so not sure it really happened
    OK So here's some pictures:
    Start with the tool racks
    tool_rack.jpgbowl_gouges.jpg

then the post and lathe
    post.jpglathe.jpg

the turning bench and the old work bench from my flat work days
    New_wb1.jpgold_wb.jpg

As you can see from the shot of the pictures, I need to build MORE tool racks. The hollowing tools are in a carrier at the end of the lathe and all of the racks are overflowing.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Cool thanks Thom... the 2nd bench is beautiful BTW..

I will need to be close to a wall and won't be able to have 2 benches., lots of great ideas...

With a lathe there is a lot of shavings that have to be cleaned up ever so often. Your bench will probably become your finishing place. A vice is a nice extra hand sometimes. You will need lights to see into your deep bowls, light is always a problem. Sanding dust will become a problem unless you plan to get rid of it somehow like a DC. There is a lot of flammable things in the shop like mineral spirits, alcohol and glues that will have to live someplace. Setting up a shop is a lot of fun but you will be continually changing it.
    Fred

Everything said here has merit and of course should be considered. I have 'most' of my tools at the back of the lathe in a long rack which as has been said is often half covered with shavings. Usually I just use a burst of air to remove the shavings.
    Something else to consider if you turn or plan to turn green wood is the water spray that is generated while turning.
    I am forced to cover by some method anything that is in line with the turning. I use a cloth draped over the tools behind the lathe and a piece of plywood between the lathe and my sharpening system. Incidentally I really never had to worry about the sharpening station until I got a CNB wheel and noticed that it was rusting . . . . .
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Even though it is not finished it may give you some ideas. Yeah, left door is a little crooked, will re-hang when I have some help.
    I still need to mount the gooseneck light in the center and a chip deflector on the right in front of the shelves.
    Small white item at the top of the left is a vinyl shade that can be pulled down almost to the floor if needed.
    Left side contains items not normally used during turning, with the exception of the finishes.
    Right side is mainly sanding supplies, rolls, and 1” & 2” disc.
    Shelves are 5-1/2 deep. Door inserts (pegboard) are 24W X30H.
    Total cabinet closed is about 56”W X 30”H X 13” D.
    Outside of the R Inside door will be my work area to hold whatever turning tools (4-5?) are need for a project. This door will be closed when turning and help prevent chips from going into the sanding area. Vinyl shade can be pulled down on the left to do the same.

Looks great Michael. Tell me though, having lathe tools on a magnet seems to me as if they might not 'slide' as easily on the tool rest. Have you noticed any difference?
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Looks great Michael. Tell me though, having lathe tools on a magnet seems to me as if they might not 'slide' as easily on the tool rest. Have you noticed any difference?
    So far I haven't noticed a difference but some folks say they can. You can always use a different holding method such as at a slant.
    I can see where it might make a difference with flat tools (scrapers, etc) but for anything round there is probably < 1/100" of contact between the metals. I have been using them about three years.

I Like it Mike! I'm inclined to go in a similar direction to try to pull in some Studley Tool Chest feel. I'm concerned about finish and green wood spray (as Pete noted above)... It seems that you have this right above your lathe, yes? the shade over the left side is protect from spray from green wood or finish? Does that about work? Another item to be considered... I too am curious regarding the magnet as Pete mentions below, although I suppose your cabinets would allow for a tool rack similar to the one in Dan's 5th picture above, without any real modification if there was an issue.

Here's mine, I'm very pleased with it.

John