Thread: Stanley 45 what angle cutter blades?

Stanley 45 what angle cutter blades?

I pick up a Stanley 45 with 2 boxes of cutters. Is the angle of the plow blades 35 degrees?
    Thanks, Jacob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do you mean the bedding angle or the sharpening angle? The irons bed at either 45 or 50 degrees, can't recall. As to sharpening angle, find the least-used cutting iron in the box, and measure that sharpening angle. Most bevel-down irons sharpen at either 25 or 30 degrees - 30 is stronger.

Yes, mine came at 35 and I've read that 35 is the standard.

P.S. I'm referring to the sharpening (honing) angle.

I measure the sharpening angle and it was a rough 35 just wanted to check with others before I sharpen them all up.
    Thanks, Jacob

They are a simple carbon steel (well, the really old ones are), and usually not the hardest thing in the world (which is good on those small blades). 30 degrees is a decent place to grind them if that's also your final angle. They'll hold up well at that and cut for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    They are a simple carbon steel (well, the really old ones are)...
    My core 45 (somehow I have a couple of different bodies and bits) came from my uncle, who, in the course of cleaning it up, soaked the rusty cutters in phosphoric acid and discovered that they were laminated (and ruint by the time he discovered it - the phosphoric ate the high speed steel).

Which part was ruined? the hardened part of the laminated iron? I've had some unexpected laminated irons that were really uglified by phosphoric acid (my favorite "i don't care what this looks like anymore" treatment because it's available locally), but I haven't ruined any yet. It really goes to town on the softer stuff like cast iron, wrought iron and mild steel, though.